Bar stool damage on 4 yr old faded wool.

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
Cut pile carpet. 4 yrs with a fair bit of fade and wear.

Plug came out of the bottom of the bar stool and cut out two neat little circles.

Only donor carpets was an off cut un touched from the attic. No fade or wear at all.

Full replacement cover from her insurer but decided to let me have a shot at saving it for him. First job for this office as they are 3/4 hour away.

Problem area.
IMG_3823.jpg

Ready to go.
IMG_3827.jpg

Glue gun seamed the edges, KG tape underneath. Ready to 'fade' it to match.
IMG_3828.jpg

Half done.
IMG_3829.jpg

All done. You have to really look closely to find it.
IMG_3830.jpg

John

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
I should clarify that last statement about being hard to see.

If you walk into the room, you don't notice it and you have to really look to find the repair.

If you know where to look already, then they are noticable, but only for a month or so because of it's location is a traffic lane on the edge ot the curved breakfast bar.

This is on the main traffic lane from the fron door around into the kitchen and onto the family room so it'll wear in fairly quickly I'm picking.

John

Charlie Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Charlie Lyman
nice, did you freehand cut the pieces, use a template, straight edge, or how did you measure the cuts for the donor pieces?

Stevea

John,
Excellent repair example as well as the fading part, very nice.

Most of the time we are harder on ourselves that our customer would likely be due to the fact, we know right where to look and they usually forget quickly.

Great example to show ones what can be done.

SA

harryhides

Name
Tony
Hot Dang !! John took you a while but looks great and we look forward to more of this in future.

Did you try anything to imitate the wear - like a pumice stone ?

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
Thanks guys.

Tony, I tried to rough it up on the pebble stone path, that didn't do much so I then tried it on the rough brick face of the house and that did it a bit better.

I'll have to try pumice stone.

Thanks.

John

safeclean

Great work there John, thanks for the crayon demo :shock: what color pen did you use.

Craig

harryhides

Name
Tony
I'd have used some white and a couple of different grays ( greys ).

John, on the bottom of the right hand square where there is still a line of darker color, here's what you can try the next time. Take a small flat spatula or half of a bull-dog clip and bend the row of fibers (fibres) over to expose the sides and then add the white. Then do it again from the opposite side. You will be amazed how much of the white "telegraphs" to the affect the surface colour. This has the added benefit of not changing the hand of the wool.

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
Craig, I only used white.

I did pull out a grey but it was way too dark and it was the only one.

I bought a small 10 pack.

Thanks for the suggestion Tony, I think I need to get a better selection of crayons to do it better justice next time.

Incidentally, I didn't notice the darker line while onsite, it only really showed up via flash photography.

John

M

Mark Imbesi

John,

"Do you look at yourself in the mirror and say.."I'm TOTALLY AWESOME!"?....If you don't, YOU SHOULD!"

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
Marc Imbesi said:
John,

"Do you look at yourself in the mirror and say.."I'm TOTALLY AWESOME!"?....If you don't, YOU SHOULD!"

No, I'm married, I have a wife to tell me that :lol: :roll: :shock:

Seriously, the moment you start doing that, you stop striving to be your best and start accepting second best... Thanks anyway :D

John

harryhides

Name
Tony
Marc, being Italian would not understand the rather more low keyed, English sense of pride that is quietly kept to oneself along with a stiff upper lip.

I'm now quietly waiting to see one of Marc's repairs. :p

John, I think that I use my gray crayons more than any other color though black and white are close behind.
There is yet another way to address color and wear issues on repairs that I'll see if I can illustrate with some pics in a while.

:)

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
Steven, Harry nailed it.

I often do a small cut beyond the repair area to get tape under and then often run a small bead of hot melt glue in the cut before fitting the insert.

By doing this, it saves stretching the shape of the cutout while getting the tape under.

John

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
Insurance job. They very rarely ask me price, usually only if I can fix, and what likely result.

In this case, I actually had them take digital photos and email them, and then ship me the two cut outs along with the new carpet so I could do a bit of advanced wear and tear on the new section :wink:

So I told the agent yes, about 90% and up to $500 if I also needed to clean afterwards to blend.

I didn't have to clean, as a test clean showed nil improvement.

John

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
UPDATE.

On these type of jobs with extremely fussy clients, we give them the option after 3-4 weeks to decide if they are still happy with the repair.

The agent rang his client and she is totally happy and they can no longer see anything... :D

The agent was totally blown away as he has had so many claims with this woman over the years and she never settles for anything less than replacement so guess that's a pretty good testimonial for me although he declined to put that in writing for my website :oops: no harm in asking :wink:

John

G

John,did you say you blended that with a crayon,or did you try a little blending rough up first?

Kevin

sorry just read about the pumice

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom