Barry Costa Question

Mikey P

Administrator
I see he is teaching 2 classes at CMS in San Mateo this month.

Cpt repair 20-22 and WD 23-25.

A full week away from home.

Care to guess how much he will take home for something like this assuming he fills the class rooms?

randy

Name
Randy
The standard is a grand a day for instructors when they are teaching at some one's place. There really isn't as much money in the educational end of the business as many cleaners think. It's easier for sure , that's why so many instructors turn into total waddle wides when they leave cleaning. You see them at Connections a few years latter (normally eating 24/7 ) and they are wearing elastic waste band pants. Some of these guys keep packing it on and they will need golf carts to haul them around at Connections. Maybe the IICRC can come up with an approved diet for certified instructors.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
$1,000 to $1,500 per day plus expenses is pretty normal. Some instructor's fees are considerably higher. Barry's a sought after instructor and can command a higher than average per day price. Bundling six days of classes together is also a pretty sharp move on his part.

Most instructors are part-timers, earning the bulk of their pay working for an industry supplier when they aren't teaching. Consider the typical two-day course will involve an added two days of travel, so the instructor will make $500 to $750 per day. This is why the instructors pushed for an end to one day classes; divide one day of pay into three days and it becomes difficult pay your IICRC instructor's dues. Conversly, making a course into a three-day makes for a comfy work week.

John Olson

Name
John Olson
Mikey not that it is any of your buisness but I could tell you EXACTLY what 6 days cost but let me break it down for you. Barry doesn't just work 6 days. He flies in the day before and spends 6-7 hours setting up. The distributor is not charged for this. Barry's class runs from 8-5 and he but his days starts at 7 and doesn't end until after 6. Then he goes back to his room and works another couple hours preparing for the next day.

Barry gets paid whether there is one student in the class or 40. The distributor is the one that takes the gamble. Now with that said there is little to no Gamble with Barry. Barry is THE BEST Teacher (see I didn't say instructor) this industry has PERIOD. Barry's classes are always full. Other "instructors" have been trying to charge what Barry charges that don't have 1/10th his abillity or the draw. Barry would be the ONLY instructor I would hire if he taught all the classes but if he did that he would never ever see his family as everyone would only want to hire him.

Mike if you have the time go take the RRT or the WRT from Barry. It wil be the best money you have spent in a LOOONG time.

Doug D

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Dimick
Agreed with John on this! Do take the classes with Barry, if nothing else take one of the classes. Barry has a 96% pass rate on his WRT class. You will definately learn a lot from him. Barry lost his daughter Kim to Luekemia several years ago. She had a saying to "touch as many lives as you can". Barry will definately do that. Well worth the money and time to take his class in my opinion.

Josh Adler

I just spoke with Tanner at CMS yesturday. The Repair class has been canceled due to lack of interest. I believe they will be adding another WRT course to replace it. I highly recommend anyone takes the WRT from Barry as he is second to none and i also heard he will be doing less and less classes as the years go on.

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
It wil be the best money you have spent in a LOOONG time.
It would probably be the only money he has spent on education, advertising or chems in a looong time

Lora Olson

I'm surprised there was no interest in RRT. In little Orem, UT...we had 19 people in the class 2 weeks ago. I took it and actually got a LOT of practical knowledge. There is about 1 1/4 days of book learning and ALL THE REST OF THE TIME IS HANDS ON. That's really too bad it's cancelled cause that is the one I would recommend. You can offer a LOT of extra services without the equipment expense (compared to getting into water restoration).

But anyway...I love Barry. He is my friend.

John Olson

Name
John Olson
Tell you what Big Head...I'll let you come to our fall WRT free. You'll just have to pay your way here and for the Book ($50) and your test ($50) and if you want to stay with us you'll have to sleep in the princess bed.

Lora Olson

Hey...if the princess bed is good enough for Greenie...it's good enough for Mike!! :p

And yes Mike...I've changed the sheets a few times since then...so no worries!

oh honey...who are you calling Mike a big head???!!!

klewis4

Agree with everything said about Barry Costa. I took his Water Damage class at Jondon last year and it was great. He is probably the most gifted teacher I've had for any subject. He seems to be really dedicated to the success of those who attend his classes.

TimP

I took the course with Barry at a jon-don also. After finishing the class I felt I could handle most cat 1&2 floods. He makes things easy to understand since he knows how to explain things for all different types of learners.

On another note of these teachers.....crazy george is gonna be at a local interlink store.

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
I took a WRT class from Barry in Colorado this past fall. Having been a teacher myself for 24 plus years, I can tell you he is a "Master Teacher"! I watched him teach the same thing in 3 or more different styles to make sure everyone in the class had an understanding. He is amazing and enjoyable. I will and would take the class again. I have his WRT manual sitting right next to me as I type this message. If John is offering the freebie, jump at it. It will even change your thoughts on everything we do in this industry from carpet cleaning to restoration. Heck, John, I would even consider coming out if you offered it to me!

Best wishes on your decisions everyone. I hope to see Barry again this spring at the Florida Connections. I can't wait to thank him in person for so many things I took from my recent class with him.

Mark Saiger

handdi

Supportive Member
Name
Randy
after reading this i will be sure to catch his wd class
He can not beat these referals now can he
Mike maybe he will send ya thankyou card

I know he is booked solid. Not only being a great instructor he speaks spanish. He is booking classes well into 2012 to 2013. Don't we all wish we were over 2 years booked solid?
O'haleck is right on. Most instructors teach from $1000 to $1500 a day.
The host pays instructors flight and rental car.Then you have to buy the instructors books for each student. The instructors make the money the host takes it in the ARSE.
then the host ussually provides breakfast coffee and lunch for the students.
I don't think you guys really know how much of an expense it is to your disty for hosting classes. I really appreciate everyone that hosts classes. Remember this next time you go to a class and make sure you buy some stuff from the host.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom