Basics needed to regrout showers and caulk

What are the basic tools I need to re-grout and caulk in showers?

Any help would be appreciated on procedure and steps.

It can't be that hard, but I want to do my shower first and then some friends to get the hang of things.

Cool. I need to regrout this floor and caulk the tub.

I am going to watch some youtube videos etc and just start trying to learn all I can.
IMAG06461.jpg

IMAG0645.jpg

danbrown

Clean it, add grout as needed (looks like sanded white), color seal all white, recaulk shower. Be sure to smooth out the new grout so thats it's flush with the remaining. That's a good 6-800.00. Myself and assistant could bust that out in ~3.5hours.

Follow the directions and you've just given your customer a brand new bathroom.

PS: Don't sell regrouting work without colorsealing. You will never match the exact color unless they have the original specs. Also nobody pays you to drive around picking up random grout colors (been there done that)

PSS: Caulk the crapper

Luis Gomez

Name
Luis Gomez
I have never done this... but why could you not spray an acid to eat the old grout, neutralize and then regrout with new grout? Why would this, not work?
Luis
PS. I understand this would not work with calcium based or sedimentary stones.

danbrown

boazcan said:
Dan- do you colorseal on same trip?

Yes. I will use the Airpath as necessary to get the grout to firm up. I'll try to do the regrouting immediately and then save these areas for sealing last.

And another thing, if it is unsanded grout that has been skim coated, you can take the end of a razor knife and remove most of the skim coat to take the grout down to a proper level. Then you can regrout whatever areas still need it, then color seal. You don't want to use any power tools on this crap tile.

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
danbrown said:
boazcan said:
Dan- do you colorseal on same trip?

Yes. I will use the Airpath as necessary to get the grout to firm up. I'll try to do the regrouting immediately and then save these areas for sealing last.

And another thing, if it is unsanded grout that has been skim coated, you can take the end of a razor knife and remove most of the skim coat to take the grout down to a proper level. Then you can regrout whatever areas still need it, then color seal. You don't want to use any power tools on this crap tile.

Dan,

I gotta say this is a true before and after picture on this fountain, great job.

fountain-before.jpg

fountain-after.jpg

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
Bee Busy said:
nice job Bill...color clad?

It's not my job, It's Dan's job, from his gallery on his site. Some really good work on there.

danbrown

tmdry said:
Bee Busy said:

It's not my job, It's Dan's job, from his gallery on his site. Some really good work on there.

Haha thanks. Have you ever heard of crypt flies? Next time you are in a mausoleum note the bugs flying around behind the glass of their personal effects. Tombs aren't airtight apparently..... Note that the fountain is an arrow pointing towards the front doors of this tomb. Pretty cool.

That was Grout Perfect. Don't know how its holding up, but guess who they will call to maintain it next time....

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
danbrown said:
tmdry said:
Bee Busy said:

Haha thanks. Have you ever heard of crypt flies? Next time you are in a mausoleum note the bugs flying around behind the glass of their personal effects. Tombs aren't airtight apparently..... Note that the fountain is an arrow pointing towards the front doors of this tomb. Pretty cool.

That was Grout Perfect. Don't know how its holding up, but guess who they will call to maintain it next time....

Looks sweet.

I did a GP Malibu Sand job about 3 or so years ago for a client (kitchen and bar area, not fountain tho), had the chance to look @ the areas 2 weeks ago while doing a carpet cleaning inspection, and CS looked just like the day I did the job. Pretty awesome feeling.

I have some really good before and after pics and have also gone back up to two years later for customers with kids and dogs and the tile still looked tip top shape. Great stuff.

Ok Mike I booked 4 tile estimates today and three of them are showers.

I know I can do this if I just take my time and use the right tools.

1. What is the best approach to remove old caulk?
2. In areas where the grout is thin or chipped, what is the best tool and bit to get the old grout out.
3. I am sure I can apply some grout, clean, and color seal over this.

Connor

Name
Connor
When you caulk the tub, fill it up with water before you caulk.

that's a cool tub, faucet comes in on the tub instead of the wall, when was it built, 1940's?

danbrown

Connor said:
When you caulk the tub, fill it up with water before you caulk.

that's a cool tub, faucet comes in on the tub instead of the wall, when was it built, 1940's?

Not necessary. There's not any movement going on with that tub, I'd put money on it.

Connor

Name
Connor
Good habits are good habits. You'd be surprised at the difference 330lbs of water makes in spreading timbers supporting a 275 lb iron tub. Gravity works.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom