Battery maintenance yeah or neigh?

Mikey P

Administrator
20160106_230517.jpg
My mechanic buddy talked me into getting this thing to charge all my vehicle batteries every 4 to six months.

He says the four seasons drains them quick out here.

Never worried about it in Cali

But I was never impressed with my battery life either..

Any of you follow suit?

Donwand

Supportive Member
Name
Brian
Might be a good idea, but never seemed to have an issue with my battery life on any of my vehicles.

Reactions: Jimmy L

Scott S.

Supportive Member
Name
Scott
once in a while if ive been running the ford van hard or using the power inverter system in it alot ill top off the two batteries in the ford.

Scott S.

Supportive Member
Name
Scott
when i replace batteries in any vehicle i always buy the best CCA battery offered, so as it ages and gets weaker it still is within operating range for the vehicle.
This is also why i run a full sized battery with my Rage tm, as the vehicle batteries seem to last alot longer and have a better duty cycle than lawn mower batteries.

jwfoulk12

Name
Justin Foulk
You will definitely see a difference topping them of now and then. I use them a lot at my car lot. But that being said the cold weather is what kills them. So keeping your truck in a heated garage definitely prolongs the life. I got 12 years out of my original truck mount battery.

Reactions: Mikey P
Name
Noble Carpet Cleaners
Lead acids batt's really would like to do there job charging and discharging at 70 degrees. Much higher and colder temps have significant effects on performance and then life span. If that charger is designed to blast some constant current on demand (to push back hard sulfation) I would say it could help with longevity. In automobiles 3-5 years is the average life and what manufacturers have in mind. Fancy charger you got there....

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
But that being said the cold weather is what kills them.
I would amend that statement to "extreme weather" because very hot weather (like in Phoenix) kills them too. It's a miracle to get three years out of one here, usually have to replace every two or sooner.

I use a battery tender to maintain batteries that don't get exercised a lot (like on my generator) and they help greatly, however IMO a battery that gets used (and charged) daily does not need one. Just have a rule that once you start the engine you let it run for 10-15 minutes minimum to replace the charge.

Reactions: Jimmy L

D Luke

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
We have the four seasons to extremes here in MI and I can never recall having a battery issue in anything I've ever operated.

The only one I worry about maintaining is the boat that sits 8 months out of the year.

Cleantechsk

Name
Dustin
Extreme cold.
Only used a battery tender on the aerotech when I ran the webasto heater because it sat outside all winter.
Other wise....nope
Only plug in vehicles when it's lower then -30..
Always get at least five years out of my batteries min

Scott S.

Supportive Member
Name
Scott
The heat & cold kill them here. I just replace them at the first sign of trouble. Most are around $100.00
in a pressure washing group on facebook alot of the guys were talking about cleaning up battery acid stains, because evidently when it gets real hot some batteries explode???

KevinD

Name
Kevin Dumas
Anyone ever try those gell batteries? Made for extreme weather and vibration..

I put one in my TM several years ago.
Best battery I have ever had.
It was purchased as "old stock" past its date code where the store could sell it at retail.
Bought at a big discount and sat in my garage uncharged for over a year before I put it in.

Chris A

Name
Chris
I seem to only get a couple years outta my direct drive trucks. They stay in the garage every night too

Scott S.

Supportive Member
Name
Scott
Starting batteries[edit]
Main article: Automotive battery
Lead–acid batteries designed for starting automotive engines are not designed for deep discharge. They have a large number of thin plates designed for maximum surface area, and therefore maximum current output, but which can easily be damaged by deep discharge. Repeated deep discharges will result in capacity loss and ultimately in premature failure, as the electrodes disintegrate due to mechanical stresses that arise from cycling. Starting batteries kept on continuous float charge will have corrosion in the electrodes which will result in premature failure. Starting batteries should be kept open circuit but charged regularly (at least once every two weeks) to prevent sulfation.

Starting batteries are lighter weight than deep cycle batteries of the same battery dimensions, because the cell plates do not extend all the way to the bottom of the battery case. This allows loose disintegrated lead to fall off the plates and collect under the cells, to prolong the service life of the battery. If this loose debris rises high enough it can touch the plates and lead to failure of a cell, resulting in loss of battery voltage and capacity.

source: Wikipedia.

Scott S.

Supportive Member
Name
Scott
when its really cold here I play musical chairs with the battery charger, one night ill charge the tm battery, another ill charge the van battery, then the car, then the other van until they are all topped off, if its still cold the next week ill do it again.
I worry the most when I'm running everything in the van or car for short periods of time, which I feel doesn't let the battery recover full charge.
like fan on high the whole time, defrost on a lot, wipers used a lot, radio going a lot. And if you have heated seats , steering wheel etc, that pulls a lot of power also, so that quick run to the store might not be fully charging your battery back up.

however, when it comes to my new van the pro1200se, I feel it will chew threw batteries a lot, because the system is always pulling a charge, the clutches alone pull some juice, let alone the power hose reel, atomatic pump out, accessories, power inverter, tons of gadgets charging. So I feel this constant charging of the battery might lesson the life, but really no way around that.

Scott S.

Supportive Member
Name
Scott
just buy an over built battery when you replace, so it lasts longer, as it will slowly become less and less powerful, but if you buy over built they little bit it looses in power over the years might help you stay above the min operating needs you have longer.

Scott S.

Supportive Member
Name
Scott
View attachment 10865 My mechanic buddy talked me into getting this thing to charge all my vehicle batteries every 4 to six months.

He says the four seasons drains them quick out here.

Never worried about it in Cali

But I was never impressed with my battery life either..

Any of you follow suit?
Hehe. Darcie shared this with mark on facebook. Thought i would share since it goes with this discussion. :)

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-01-11-07-44-29.png
    Screenshot_2016-01-11-07-44-29.png
    461.7 KB · Views: 221

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom