Battery Powered Truckmount

Spurling

How many batteries would it take to run a truckmount ..? 45 blower cat 3cp .. I've seen floor machines with 4 batteries to operate.. I wonder if it would be practical or possible to use batteries.. gas free, clean running and quiet.. or would it require too many batteries and the weight would eat up more gas driving it around..

John Watson

Here in the Great North West we just need a super sized funnel sticking 200 feet up in the air to catch the rain and have it hooked to a pelton wheel in the back of an electric driven truck and truck mount. why go half assed.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
I'm sure it could be done.
They've made fork lifts for ages that run on battery and they're strong enough to pull down a house.

but given the battery requirements, weight and space, I wonder how practical it would be?

here's another thought, I don't about ya'll, but my TM burns right at 1.25gph under load
(25HP 45 blower)
It's the gas used to and from jobs that takes the big bite out of my wallet

also, you mentioned noise.
It's the blower that makes the lion's share of noise on a TM
not the gas motor that drives it
(if you spin the blower at anywhere near capacity, anyway)

..L.T.A.

Spurling

As for battery space .. you could line the floor with it and put a plate over it as a raised floor ..most trucks have alot of wasted overhead room anyway.. an electric powered van would be cool.. (not truckmount)

Or we could just work in an extra $5-$10 a job to cover the gas ..

tm

isn't the bane system electric....they can't get nearly as hot as a GP TM and they don't have as much suction....

paul your charging $.50 a sq. ft. is that not enough to cover the gas your using??? I wouldn't start nickel and diming people with those prices

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Wouldn't it be easier to just plug in at your customer, home?

I think electric truck mount options may well be the smart choice in the future for residential cleaning where you only need 100ft or so of hose runs.

500lb pressure and great heat with LP and you can park in the customer's garage in inclement weather.

Almost no breakdowns or fluids to change.

No carbon-monoxide- green gleaning.

Works for me

Spurling

Re: tm

Robthecarpetguy said:
isn't the bane system electric....they can't get nearly as hot as a GP TM and they don't have as much suction....

paul your charging $.50 a sq. ft. is that not enough to cover the gas your using??? I wouldn't start nickel and diming people with those prices

Yeah Rob .. just preparing for the future ..when gas hits $5-$6 a gallon, no .50 a sf will not be enough .. so I was just brainstorming for ways to cut fuel cost.. and maybe stir up some other ideas

Bane is under powered and I thought about using 2 blowers for suction power, but I'd need another extension cord.. 3 cords will not work for me.. so I thought maybe battery power would work ..

I did consider Bane type system with 2 blowers (using 2 cords) a propane heater and a small gas engine pressure washer.. but what would I really be saving in fuel cost.. probably not too much.. extra gas saves on extra time reeling out the cords..

steve r

im just going to hook a hitch up to my bicycle and pull my floor machine to the job.

Spurling

Kevin McCreary said:
If someone could build a PTO off this truck then plug to charge while cleaning that would be sweet.

And somehow capture the heat generated by the electric motor and blower to heat water.

http://www.engadget.com/2007/12/07/smith-brings-worlds-largest-all-electric-truck-to-the-us/

Thats pretty cool .. it says a rack of batteries ..I wonder how many .. that would be the wave of the future .. battery powered everything and could use propane to heat..

I wonder if one were to get into an accident.. does that mean potential acid burns for everyone if batteries cracked and exploded

RichardnTn

I think Dave is on the money on this one.. I think Butler use to build an electric TM with conventional blower and pump for inhouse cleaning....use the customers electricity and add heat...RR

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
Spurling said:
How many batteries would it take to run a truckmount ..? 18 hp 45 blower cat 3cp .. I've seen floor machines with 4 batteries to operate.. I wonder if it would be practical or possible to use batteries.. gas free, clean running and quiet.. or would it require too many batteries and the weight would eat up more gas driving it around..

you can throw the 18hp out..because that is the gas motor..

you have to find how much electric HP it takes to spin a 45, and the pump...I think its roughly half the gas, and 18 on a 45 is shaky...soooo go with 20ish, so now your talking a 10 HP electric motor...

as a floorguy here are the rough hp on those floor machines..

Trans axle .75 hp
brush motors X 2 .75 so 1.5 hp
vac..hah maybe .25

so your talking roughly 2.5-3 hp on those, and thats only about 6 hr run time...and at full drain 8-10 hr charge..

plus the wiring and what not, I suppose you could leave the motor a DC instead of AC wiring...

nope not practicle at all

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
You can get high pressure pumps from from pumptec that have very low amp draw and then pick up a couple of the new vac motors to connect parallel. Using your water, LP heater and waste tank you can be converted to electric for very little money.

It won't be a powerhouse. But, will work well for most residential.

You may be able to run you truck with the electric conversion or switch to gas when needed.

Should be a easy conversion. Just add a couple of shut off valves, and don't forget a couple of cords.

Bob Savage

Name
Bob Savage
The use of a PD blower in an electric machine design is inefficient, because in order to get sufficient vacuum you would need an extremely big electric motor.

All of those hybrid vacuum systems on electric truckmounts (PD + turbine vac used together), are inefficient in generating vacuum for the system.

cbcsi

those big floor batteries are usually 185 amperhours with three of them you could pull 555 amps to get 6660 watts @ 12V for one hour. That is enough juice to spin a 36Volt heavy duty motor turning 1750 rpm for 2 or three hours. These batteries are circa 180 bucks a piece. If one motor could power your blower and pump, I don't know? You'ld want at least 6 of these batteries (over 1/2 ton) to get you into 5-6 hours run time. added weight to reduce fuel effeciency in your gas guzzler. You'ld probably need 8 or ten hours on house current to recharge your setup. And If you were to use it every day you'ld have to replace batteries once a year or you might get 2 or even three. As soon as one battery fails the system doesn't preform very well. And if you have highpressure hose break somewhere on your tm try not to get water all over the terminals.

Greenie

Welcome Chad!
Very good input, thanks.

I love this eelc. stuff, I too think the day is not far off where batt. technology catches up and makes a fossil fuel alternative viable. It would be a monster hit in the UK, and even Aus/NZ.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom