BBB questions

I have been a member of the BBB for the past 5 years. I have a few problems with their system. I have had a few customers make complaints when there was absolutely nothing wrong with the cleaning. Onle lady complained that I left vacuum marks in her carpet. I even groomed the carpet afterwards but this was a thick pile and I tried explaining to her that running a vacuum over the carpet would do the same thing. The BBB dismissed the complaint, but the complaint still registered against my business and stays on record for three years.

Another situation was a guy when I first started cleaning. My price was low 3 areas for 49 dollars for a basic cleaning and 15 dollars each additional area. He elected to have the basic clean. I cleaned one large room about 450 sq ft that I counted double, two bedrooms and a hallway. I charged him 79 dollars for 5 areas and he made a complaint that the price should have been 49 dollars. I was livid when the bbb sent me a letter. I told them if you are not smart enough to figure this one out then I don't wat to be a member. They closed the complaint as resolved but again the complaint still went against my business for 3 years.

They also let obvious bait and switch companies or the biggest hacks join.

I can see being a member if you advertise, but since I am referral only should I drop the bbb or continue with it. I will say I have had quite a few customers check to see if I was a member. I plan on doing some fliers and people may check to see if I am a member. I personally think it is a waste of money (360 dollars) that could be spent on something better like a new upholstery tool.

Chris A

Name
Chris
It seems to me that some of the biggest con-artist businesses in the world tout their BBB standing like the holy grail. Not even just carpet cleaners, but roofers, basement waterproofers, air duct cleaners, etc. What are you spending to be a member, might do more good elsewhere.

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
I would think there would be a way to advertise without paying the annual fee. You could say something like “Check our record with local consumer protection agencies.” I agree you might be attracting the wrong type of customer with BBB type advertising.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
i just got sold on signing up again.
The gent was telling me about how they have a newer system to rate companies
how companies need to have references to be accepted
etc etc
basically, that they are trying to weed out the bad companies.
I'll have to email this thread to him and see how he responds

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
They (BBB) come across as some sort of government watch dog agency when in fact they are nothing but a for profit organization.

I remember when they called it was some sort of scare tactic that someone had inquired about my business. They would give no information pro or con at what the inquiry was.

That told me that it's nothing but a CON game and close to extortion.

All you get is rights to use the BBB for marketing.

Any savy person knows it doesn't mean shit.

My advice would be to cancel your membership and use your money for other marketing.

The only ones who use the BBB in my area are the COUPON people.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
The BBB has never been a good advertisement.
Pay if you want to display their symbols, and if you believe that it enhances your company's image.

The consumer can check on your company's record regardless if you are a member.

I never found that being a member produced new clients for me. It is to add another "credibility" symbol like the IICRC or whatever you choose to present a professional image and add/land credibility to your company's name.

We know that many crooks have it, the public many times does not.

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
I've never been a member of the BBB, but I do recall the scary messages on my answering machine, "Thus is Joan Smith from the better business bureau, please call our office." I'd call and it would just be a sales pitch each time. I ignore their calls now and don't pay attention to them. To me it's like paying protection money to the mob.

-JB-

Name
JB
Self-perpetuating organization, as so many organizations are, utterly useless to the end consumer.

Who pays them?

The contractors.

Who are they most likely to side with,
drool.gif
dur, the contractors?

I love it when (and by love it i mean HATE it), when they call the office and ask to speak w/the owner and try to make it sound like a complaint, when all they want is to sell you on joining, yeah, real ethical! :roll:

I don't return their calls.

Sleazeballs.

Walrus said:
They (BBB) come across as some sort of government watch dog agency when in fact they are nothing but a for profit organization.

I remember when they called it was some sort of scare tactic that someone had inquired about my business. They would give no information pro or con at what the inquiry was.

That told me that it's nothing but a CON game and close to extortion.

All you get is rights to use the BBB for marketing.

Any savy person knows it doesn't mean shit.

My advice would be to cancel your membership and use your money for other marketing.

The only ones who use the BBB in my area are the COUPON people.

I completely agree with you. I think I will use that 360 for a new upholstery tool. If a customer wants to check out my business with the bbb they still can. I just will not be a member. I can always join again latter down the road which is not likely.

Gary Taylor

Agree with what Jimmy says. When I was approached way many years ago, I siad what if they complain to you and I am not a member? They said they don't so anything, so...no membership no complaints!

duckster

The Chamber is better for its opportunities to meet fellow business owners. The mixers are a nice break.

The BBB is good for finding out who not to do business with more than who to do business with. I think if anyone did their own informal survey they would find most people have a low opinion of what the BBB ratings mean.

Able 1

Name
Keith
duckster said:
The Chamber is better for its opportunities to meet fellow business owners. The mixers are a nice break.

The BBB is good for finding out who not to do business with more than who to do business with. I think if anyone did their own informal survey they would find most people have a low opinion of what the BBB ratings mean.

The BBB is a good thing to have for the 60 + crowd is what I have found. Good thing to validate your biz., but after a couple years in biz it's probably a waste.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom