Behr Claw

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
Not sure if John knows about these?

http://behrclaws.com/

What are your opinions of the Behr Claw?

This is another item I am strongly considering getting.

Thanks.

PS ::: Sorry Scott, your site can be a tad confusing ( http://www.interlinksupply.com/index.ht ... ++++++++++ ) with that pop up requiring the post code / area code thingy for us foreigners :lol:

I got past that be finding a post code for anytown and hooking that in :twisted:

Interlink has the Behr Claw with a good write up about it etc;

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
I've looked at them but decided that a Mini would be better for me.

A mini could also do the stretching into a wall, albeit not as easily, but the Behr claw can't do the seam work and while I drive a van at the moment with a bit of space, I hope eventually to get back into something a bit more comfortable and refined...

As such, space to carry all sorts of equipment will be at a premium.

At the moment, I intend to offer from that vehicle, leather cleaning and repairs, spot and stain treatments, carpet warranty work, carpet repairs and my carpet inspector services.

If I can get enough of the Inspection and correction work, as well as the mill warranty and retailer repair work, I may drop the stain and leather services back to the guys in the vans but that's all dreams at the moment.

Will you be keeping the Hiace/Hydrovac or selling and going to a smaller vehicle?

John

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
I have one and like it. I don't suppose it replaces a power stretcher but it has worked well for me. I use it to take out wrinkles and reinstall partial take ups. In some cases additional nails are required in the tackless. Its easy to carry and thats a big plus for me.

Harry Myers

Name
Harry Myers
Remember this in repair work. People are dis-satified already. I have been in courtrooms. The Behr claw will never take place of a power stretcher. So if you are using a behr claw, spike or mini stretcher or the kneeless stretcher it is not legal and it will not hold up in court. A Power stretcher is Mandortory. Remember this those tools are gimmmicks but have their needs. :D

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
Thanks Harry, however, I'm pretty sure that your litigation law suits, etc; over there are a lot more stringent than what ours are down under.

I personally wouldn't be doing complete installs, just less complicated repairs with small areas, (hopefully).

Anything requiring power stretchers can go to the younger, full time bodies :lol:

Just another toy in the arsenal :wink:

Ooroo :roll:

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
Good word of caution Harry.

I also have a full locking Roberts Power Stretcher as well, had it since before I started repair and re installation work so that I could 'do it right'.

John

Harry Myers

Name
Harry Myers
Shorty they have power stretcher boxes that you can roll now. They are also in a 2 piece case 2 make it lighter and snap together and you can wheel them into the home. Shorty I pm you Talk to Steve he gets me great deals on my stuffs and I appreciate what he does for me. Also I have some friends in Wisconsin www.installertools.com. this would be for flooring tools

Harry Myers

Name
Harry Myers
Thanks John I only speak what I know from in the US as Shorty said I am not familiar with New Zealand. I would think you should know can you clarify for us .

John Watson

I have had the Behr Claw for almost 3 years now, My old stretcher case hinge is rusting shut with my poles in it. That heavy thing is not needed on my truck any more. My Crab, which is a Roberts is not adapable to twin cotten heads on each end like these new ones I see the photo's of and becoming a seam stretcher, is hardly ever used any more either.

Harry, you might want to double check about a Behr Claw not being acceptable for propperly stretching in carpets. I thought I heard someone say Shaw has accepted them. Wish I had a Roberts Golden Touch swivel head for mine, but nada, just this here 35 year old Jr Head..

Harry Myers

Name
Harry Myers
I dont have to check I know . The only proven method of stretching carpet in any scenario is a power stretcher . These are the standards . Shaw is 1 company that tool is incompetent to a stretch. That tool will not exceed the ratio to stretch. To Me It is a joke more money for the inventor. Others like it here It is simply a tool dseigned for what it does power stretch it does not.Can that tool get 1.44 inch in a 12 ft span.

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
Thanks for the explanation.

That puts it into perspective that I can understand.

Have not received the pm as yet.

Gotta go, c'ya all tomorrow.

Ooroo :?

John Watson

Damn, Harry your starting to sound like Jim... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: It works just fine for me, I just restretch with it, no new installs, no warrantys from anyone but me on my work, :lol: :lol:

Harry Myers

Name
Harry Myers
Restretching it does matter . When I went to court for a specific case they askes me if I was a certified re installation tech IICRC. I personally said no I am a certified Master 2 Installer. 1 of only 35 in the US as well as China and as well as S.Africa. Simple story short in this case . I felt it was a know win against the previous cleaner. I am a man of my word. I told the attorney it woud most likely be a lossed situation. He would lose . Any way in this case he used a mini stretcher . NO NO It is not the StandaRDS AND BY LAW FOR ALL YOU REPAIR MEN LETS LEARN THEM. Stop listening to people that dont know the Standards and ask before you get sued. I am personally being nice and dont want any mis representation.

John Olson

Name
John Olson
I won't sell one period. I learned from a Master (Barry Costa) and he didn't have one in his tool box therefore I will not condone selling one to someone else.

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
You go for it Harry!!

No point in learning a trade incorrectly.

I and I'm sure others appreciate your patience in trying to show us the ins and outs of the laying side of things and if it's worth learning, then it's worth learning well at the hand of a master!!

John

John Olson

Name
John Olson
packfancjh said:
John have you asked Barry's opinion on the Behr Claws?

Yes several times. I won't speak for Barry. I don't want this to sound like I am talking for him but there is good reason I won't sell them.

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
Sorry John,

"Will you be keeping the Hiace/Hydrovac or selling and going to a smaller vehicle?"

Going to pension them both off.

But will be getting another van just the same, I'm just so damn comfortable in them, especially with my crook legs and knees :wink:

Replacing the HydraVac with a :shock: portable :shock:

For the work that I now do, that is all I really need, apart from "Big Yella" :wink: and "Little Mak" :wink:

I also like the freedom that loading zones give me for parking.

No log book for a car also plays a part tax wise.

And when we go away, I can still take either a tinnie or pop-top, & still have some gear in the back in case the opportunity for a bit of Oscar Ash rears it's ugly head :wink:

Ooroo :roll:

Harry Myers

Name
Harry Myers
John I will always show the right way. Thanks for your kind words. i am a sincere person . I want to be treated like I treat others, with respect. THANKS :D

ksokalski

9.5 times out of 10, I believe that the power stretcher to be the better tool to be used for a "proper" restretch...just from my experience.

However, does this mean that I believe that the behr claw should not have a place in your toolbox...absolutely not! There are some situations that you will run into where you will find that it will be more beneficial to use the behr claw as opposed to a power stretcher.

As for all of the legal stuff involved...I am 50/50 on stuff. You have to do what you need to protect your own butt; however, you have to do what is right for your business and profession as well. Just because a group of people sit down and make a standard, I do not think that this should influence you on trying new tools in the trade.

To give an example outside of the 'repair' world...the IICRC is pretty much the "voice" when it comes to cleaning. I recently took the CRT course and found it very interesting, took onto the information and application pretty quickly and have actually done some color repair using regular carpet dyes.

Knowing what type of results that can be acheived with dyes and the limits that dyes have...it absolutely amazes me that they do not teach the crayon techniques or at least place this in the "standards". Crayons are much more simple, can be controlled a lot more than dyes and from what I have seen...have a much smaller learning curve. The only reason that I have been able to pick up on the regular liquid dyes probably goes back to my understanding of color in my artist days.

So why don't they teach the crayon tech. in the classes? Come to find out...this technique has been being used for countless years by some of the best in the industry. Also, please do not take my post in the wrong way...I am a strong advocate of the IICRC; however, I do believe that some changes need to be made to allow a 'true voice' of the industry.

Anyway...to keep a long post from getting any longer....you have to make sure that you don't follow standards to the point where it will impede your innovation. If something new comes out and it doesn't work...it doesn't work; however, I do argue that there are some situations that would warrant a behr claws use.

If you do not own a power stretcher yet, the power stretcher should be your first purchase before a behr claw...IMO.

Kris

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
I have one for about 2 years now..... and it has never let me down yet..............

worth every penny.......

harryhides

Name
Tony
"Knowing what type of results that can be achieved with dyes and the limits that dyes have...it absolutely amazes me that they do not teach the crayon techniques or at least place this in the "standards". Crayons are much more simple, can be controlled a lot more than dyes and from what I have seen...have a much smaller learning curve. The only reason that I have been able to pick up on the regular liquid dyes probably goes back to my understanding of color in my artist days.

So why don't they teach the crayon tech. in the classes? Come to find out...this technique has been being used for countless years by some of the best in the industry. Also, please do not take my post in the wrong way...I am a strong advocate of the IICRC; however, I do believe that some changes need to be made to allow a 'true voice' of the industry.

Anyway...to keep a long post from getting any longer....you have to make sure that you don't follow standards to the point where it will impede your innovation. If something new comes out and it doesn't work...it doesn't work; however, I do argue that there are some situations that would warrant a behr claws use."

You said a mouthful there Kris, lots of good thoughts there. The answers to your rambling dissertation are not black and white. Since I first talking about crayons on the boards 3 years ago, a few color repair Instructors have added it to their class outline and one (Jim Smith ) has part of his manual cover the method. You are right, it is not new but was not widely known.
Of course, you do realize there is more profit in selling dye kits than having folks go to the toy store.
You will probably have noticed that quite a few things discussed here are also not taught in many classes like carpet repair and fabric cleaning.

:mrgreen:

harryhides

Name
Tony
packfancjh said:
How long ago did Jim add the crayons to his class?

Not sure of exact date but late last year, I believe. He called me up wanting to get some specifics last year.

Cousin

Sorry, just pulling things back with the claw :wink:

In Australia, the standard used of installation of carpet is AS/NZS 2455, and it stipulates conventionally installed carpet must be done so with a power stretcher.

Any other tools, such as claws, knee kickers etc are classified as placement tools.

So technically speaking, any installed carpet not installed using a power stretcher is not acceptable.

But an inexperienced tech can do a crappy job using a power stretcher, too.

Any investigator/arbitrator in Australia will (or should) assess the installation based on the results.

If the installer used a knee kicker only, but achieved the correct tension, it will be accepted. Keeping in mind not many installers can/will achieve the correct tension with a knee kicker.

So there is some leeway, here in Oz, on what you can use to install.

Just make sure you get it right, cause if not, everything defaults back to Australian/New Zealand Standards.

M

And you'll have to excuse me. I did say hello on my first post in this room, but I kept posting since then, and now it's down the bottom :oops:

So hello everyone.

Love what I've seen so far, but the lovely wife is sort of pointing to the grass that needs cutting, so I'm off.

Michael

Harry Myers

Name
Harry Myers
Glad to see the knowledge (Cousin). Although tools are good and do have a place I simply choose the correct methods.

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
Thanks for the M, I was unaware of that fact.

Also I've been now in Brissy since Friday last week, only got back late this arvo, Sunday.

Hence why I have not been pestering you people as much.

Didyamissme :twisted:

I shall correct my errant ways :?

Ooroo, :roll:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom