Belt ?

White Collar

Name
Nick Petersen
5 months ago I had a belt break and I dont like messing with that stuff so I took it to my interlink supply guy and he changed it for $150. Well it broke again today and I dont want to pay that, so I was wondering if it was a big deal to replace it.

I can probably do it myself but if I get it to tight or loose will it hurt the pump? I just dont know what the different ramifications will be if I dont do it exactly right.

Would it be smarter to just pay or do it myself?

Thanks..
Nick

Chads

Supportive Member
Just do it yourself, remeber its just metal and plastic dont over think it and take alot of pics and ask us or get alocal guy to come help you.

TimP

There may be something wrong....a belt shouldn't break in 5 months especially a water pump belt.

Belt too loose it squeals.....belt too tight it can damage the bearings.

TimP

I don't have a blueline. But it shouldn't require special tools. A couple of wrenches and a socket set maybe ought to do it.

But like I said I wouldn't know.

Changing the water pump belt on my cds looks like a PITA cause you gotta unhook the pto to get the belt on and off.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
to tight and in time you could take out a bearing....to lose and it will slip

Put the new one on and tighten it up and free spin it with your hand so it seats itself..and then push in the middle of the belt..
you want to see approximately 1/2 inch to 3/4 play and you should be OK...re check in in about a week if you are running it hard and make sure it is about the same...Take the time and do things like this and learn your machine and save yourself a lot of money...$150 bucks to change a belt is crazy....you just got screwed and I bet you did not even get a kiss.............

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Nick;

The important concept for pump belt is alignment of the pulleys.

We use a laser, but you could use a straght edge.

The pump belt should last a lot more than 5 months.

Larry

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
you can tell a lot by looking at the belt that broke...if the sides are chewed up then the pulleys are not lined up..if it snapped in the middle and it is clean that is a old worn cracked belt....If the inside of the belt is worn out and the outside looks good..that is a good indication it was the wrong belt and it did not seat into the grove of the pulley the way it should of....

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
look on the out side of the belt ...there should be a number on it and see if they can cross refferance it....BUT.....
make sure it is the right belt first.....or you will be doing this in another 5 months....

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
you might have to buy the belt from hydo master so pucker up

could be a weird size only they use or have

make sure you at least get a kiss this time...........because you will get screwed again....

okccarpetman

when i took mine to interlink, they put my pump on lopsided, and it put alot of tension on motor, when i fixed it myself(straightened it), it was alot stronger.. thats probably what happen, its also pretty funny how they charge you shop hours even if their on another machine!!!! it only takes 20 mins

G

ODIN said:
you might have to buy the belt from hydo master so pucker up

could be a weird size only they use or have

sorry

Its a Blueline.You might also check if it is close to a heat sorce,this will dry them out really fast.

White Collar

Name
Nick Petersen
Yeah it seems to get real hot. It may be by a heat source, the whole machine gets hot. I wish I knew about this board when I bought the machine. It's been pretty low matience but I'd get a machine where I can hop on here and find out exactly what I needed.
Like one of Larrys or Judsons.. Oh well, live and learn

John Olson

Name
John Olson
What size of Belt is it? I could go get the book and look it up but you should be able to get it at an industrial technology place. Not sure if you have a KAMAN Industrial out that way but you can get the belts.

As for the $150 that might be a bit high. Been a long time since we seen a champ but your 1/2 hour min plus shopp charge and the belt so you'd be at least 70 and if it is a bugger like I think it is you probably got charged 1 hour, we are $75 hr and interlink here is 85 so you might be close to $150 after taxes.

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
Call Greenie and get some "power twist belt" from him. Its easy to use and will likely outlast the OEM belt.

White Collar

Name
Nick Petersen
I'm in Bentonville, up in the northwest corner. Just north of Fayetteville.

Yeah maybe its not to high but its pretty high for me if at possible if I can do it.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
when you go to the parts place and find one for 20 bucks and you get use to how to do it...you got violated for $150..........

TimP

Shane T said:
Call Greenie and get some "power twist belt" from him. Its easy to use and will likely outlast the OEM belt.

I'm thinking Greenie needs to get a freaking catelog if he isn't gonna update his website anytime soon. Imagine all the lost sales cause we don't know he has something we want or would want.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
If you're some what mechanical you "should" be able to change a belt

find out the reason it's cooking belts FIRST .

no way in the world 2 pump belts break in less than a year unless something is way wrong

..l.T.A.

Back
Top Bottom