Berber problems

realclean

Name
Jesse Lowe
I clean an berber carpet yesterday and customer just called to say that the carpet now has a orange color to it.

Now I have not seen it yet and not sure if its all the carpet or just in some areas.

What would cause this and how should I try to fix it.

I only preprayed with powermax and rinsed.

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
Yup, acid rinse that puppy. This is exactly why I use an acid rinse. It doesn't happen often, but when it does, it's embarrassing.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
cellulosic browning

be willing to bet it's rare to see wool berber in Crawdadville Louisiana

as Scott said, Jess..need more info
is it sculptured berber or level loop?
IS IT WOOL??
was it heavily soiled?
does your wand technique suck?
(berbers give lots of cleaners problems and it's almost always due to poor wand technique)

..L.T.A.

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
be willing to bet it's rare to see wool berber in Crawdadville Louisiana

as Scott said, Jess..need more info
is it sculptured berber or level loop?
IS IT WOOL??
was it heavily soiled?
does your wand technique suck?
(berbers give lots of cleaners problems and it's almost always due to poor wand technique)

..L.T.A.
I'll never understand that. I think berber is one of the easiest types to clean carpet. Just push the wand down a little harder to get a better connection. Boom! YOu're done

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
I'll never understand that. I think berber is one of the easiest types to clean carpet.

agree
never had a problem with berbers

stiff sculpted berbers required more effort due to poor wand lip seal, but level loop berbers are down right easy

the probs Jamokes have with berbers (and many low loop pile like CGD) is due most to their "sawing away" wand style .
They "N" saw back and forth on an area of a sq yard or more with keyed wand...(like some idiot taught them)
......some even go all the way across a room like that.:headscratch:

They're leaving puddles at the end of every back stroke
IF they do give it dry strokes, by the time they get back to where they started, solution has soaked to backing ..and wicking is the result

berbers and low loop piles are easy .
they're just not very forgiving to poor technique like cut pile generally is

..L.T.A.

Reactions: Lee Stockwell

DAT

Name
Bill Cheryl
Yup did one just Thursday. Berber carpet look like crap after HWE done by competitor.. I fixed it with just awesome encap boosted with h202 with my 175 and MF. Looks beautiful. And bright.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Kenny Hayes

Name
Kenny Hayes
PEEE-ESSS

Jesse, my Magic 8 Ball suggests a light misting of pret'near any bonnet cleaning juice or encRapoo with damp bonnet on a rotary will fix it just fine

..L.T.A.
Now see, yous said AlL that in 2 posts and were cruel at the same time, then tell him to use a bonnet. Took me less time to tell him.:headscratch:

Reactions: Dolly Llama

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
When I see "Berber Problems", I think hack.

I won't go that far, Lee .
a "hack" to me, is a loser that doesn't GAS if their work is subpar

I like to think (and do) most "want" to be good.
They're just unable to figure things out themselves and have to be spoon fed
Or buy juices designed/intended to help yawks not be yawks

Now see, yous said AlL that in 2 posts and were cruel at the same time, then tell him to use a bonnet. Took me less time to tell him

yea, but you're not a bored, big mouth azzhole …..like me :angry:

"cruel" would be punching them in the stomach and delight at watching them gasp for air .
Not punching them to get their attention first ...soze u can help 'em after they catch their breath

U no?

upload_2018-6-30_17-45-48.jpeg

..L.T.A.

steve_64

Only time I had trouble with Berber was with my bane and in basements. To wet to long.

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
I'm very sure the carpet is wool and Powermax is too high of a ph. for cleaning wool.
Newbies think using the most powerful cleaner is the best-- but using the correct cleaner is wiser.
Acid rinse and check every component used in the extraction portion of the process-- even the tech's wand technique.
After you think you have extracted the water, confirm everything is working properly by touching the carpet with your hand to feel if the carpet is dry enough.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I'm very sure the carpet is wool and Powermax is too high of a ph. for cleaning wool.
Newbies think using the most powerful cleaner is the best-- but using the correct cleaner is wiser.
Acid rinse and check every component used in the extraction portion of the process-- even the tech's wand technique.
After you think you have extracted the water, confirm everything is working properly by touching the carpet with your hand to feel if the carpet is dry enough.
Also if you feel you're not getting a good seal due to the texture, slow down and do a few more dry strokes. Not going to kill you.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Remember Cole's company charged more for Berber. I think they dry cleaned it.

Is he still in the restoration business or did he clean up on hurricane work and retire?

Kenny Hayes

Name
Kenny Hayes
I won't go that far, Lee .
a "hack" to me, is a loser that doesn't GAS if their work is subpar

I like to think (and do) most "want" to be good.
They're just unable to figure things out themselves and have to be spoon fed
Or buy juices designed/intended to help yawks not be yawks

yea, but you're not a bored, big mouth azzhole …..like me :angry:

"cruel" would be punching them in the stomach and delight at watching them gasp for air .
Not punching them to get their attention first ...soze u can help 'em after they catch their breath

U no?

View attachment 83143

..L.T.A.
Not sure bout the bored part, I’m on Mikeysboard with Yous!!
Me yes!!

SamIam

Name
sam miller

Powermax is 10.5 with lots of oxy!

Also dirty olefin Berber with the wrong wand, water and soil will sink!

Olefin has a love of oil, and water goes right through it!

Low surface tension.

That why we try not to over wet it, also a wand that seals and doesn’t chatter is great

The Prochem quad is great here!

If a guys trying to be a hero and goes over and over it no fans and not enough dry strokes it will wick.

Wool holds a 100 times it wieght in water and usually clean pretty easy, but if you leave the ph to high and over wet it you get the same problem as the olefin.

Both are easy fixes light mist and vac with one step or all fiber textile rinse type product.

I love using fans on these and leaving them dry to the touch!

My problem over the years was a wand drips and leave one small water mark!

Mist with peroxide and hit with a terry towel!

Last edited:
Reactions: BIG WOOD

Rick J

Name
rick Jones
In the mix when it comes to berbers ( I think) , and I have never seen brought up.
The yarns. Not a solid thick piece, but strands twisted together. Soil getting worked deep into the yarns themselves???

Greg Cole

Name
Greg
Remember Cole's company charged more for Berber. I think they dry cleaned it.

Is he still in the restoration business or did he clean up on hurricane work and retire?
Sorry for late response. Rarely log on here anymore. Still own the waterproofing company. Busy working on the waterproofing division these days.

Regarding Berber:

We encappesd it. Then did an acid rinse afterwards. I primarily created this as a market disrupter... on rare occasions olefin would get chemical burns from high alkalinity. (Usually due to customer who tried to clean themselves. I began marketing we would only dryclean in order to prevent damaging the carpet. My competitors didn’t know how to respond and I used it to steal major market share....
When we started this process Encapsulation was still in its infancy and most cleaners didn’t even know what it was... lol. This allowed to Double our tickets (essentially charging what most cleaners were charging ). If I recall correctly: It increased my average walking ticket around $40 per job.... Worked very well for many years.....

In an industry where finding a qualifying differentiator was damn near impossible , I used every marketing trick I could come up with over the 21 years I was in the business! That said: I don’t miss carpet cleaning for a second.....

Back
Top Bottom