Berber? repair - graft.

Stevea

Harry,

I think when I shared a little clip with John about how I seal and bevel the edges on the donor piece, may have caused some confusion. The use of heat to seal and bevel the edges is something I have done for years but with synthetic backings. I must apologize to John for not giving more explanation but I was simply trying to share one way I graft and how I try to fit the piece in nice and tight.

Here is a part of the clip I shared with John. The reason for this has to do with how many repairs and edges and seams and on & on I have seen with the slight little edge overlapping just a little but how poorly it can make the repair look. I have found by trimming and beveling with heat and then using hot melt, which will soften synthetic material a little and then makes it easy to manipulate.

I shared this with John to try to be helpful but I did not give much information along with it. I must say I am sorry to John for not doing so.

It is very obvious John is a highly skilled technician, I just did not give him enough to work with on this one.

I use this same method when I do a bonded insert, I have found just a slight trim can make a world of difference as to fit and manipulation of what I am working on. While one can trim with a shear, sometimes the close trimming leaves things a little weak.

Here is part of what I shared with John, maybe this will clear up a question or two that I think was partly my fault.

Sealing and beveling the donor edge to make a precision fit.
th_c7adf686.jpg

SA

Harry Myers

Name
Harry Myers
Steve I know John is a great technician. His work shows it. Johns work is the work of a skilled master tech. Hot knife is a great tool. I was only trying to make it clear. Steve and everyone else . I can demonstrate and show you a great show. One thing I am not is a Howard Partridge. I am know talker, and don't take my expression serious . Sometimes I come off hard . But I am a softee. :D Also Steve tip on the the hot knife is great for flat weave olefins.

Stevea

John,

Thank you for being so gracious, I will try not to do that again, I was only trying to help but I should have gone into more detail.

Steve

Back
Top Bottom