Berber

lust1kiddo

Supportive Member
Every time I clean Berber it comes out like shit..and when its white, it looks still dirty when its drying. I have a 100 psi porty and my powdered 90..and it frustrated me to the point where I actually tried to do one room with the hand wand to get it clean..I need help.

Thanks,

Jarred
Iseeru

Fletch

Jarred,

I would suggest a light prespray aggitated in, and an acid rinse/not an emulsifier. Extra (I mean EXTRA!) dry passes and fans. Less water is better. This should improve things for you.

I have found that the Oscillating Pad low-moisture method works best for me on most berbers.

hogjowl

Idiot™
With berber (olefin) carpets high flow and high recovery is the key. It sounds to me like you don't have that capability with your current equipment set-up. You have two choices, in my opinion:

1) Upgrade your equipment and truly clean, rinse and dry the carpet properly.

2) Go to a low moisture method and make it look good.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
lust1kiddo said:
Every time I clean Berber it comes out like shit..and when its white, it looks still dirty when its drying. I have a 100 psi porty and my powdered 90..and it frustrated me to the point where I actually tried to do one room with the hand wand to get it clean..I need help.

Thanks,

Jarred
Iseeru

is powdered 90 an emulsifier you run the machine?

try a strong butyl laced pre-spray
add agitation.
mechanical is best, but grandi brush (not the rake) will help too
even stiff bristled push broom will work great..(probably better than a Grandi brush)

Don't add a bunch of soap in the porty rinse.
1/3 or less of what's recommended for porty use is fine.
all you're doing is conditioning the rinse water...the pre-spray does the heavy lifting

there's no reason you can't get an olie berber clean with a 100 psi porty.
you need good chems, agitation and a good rinse/extract

and don't forget to vacuum first...it DOES help in many situations..especially with a porty
whether you need to "Ron Wernerize" it depends on the dry soil load

..L.T.A.

idreadnought

Supportive Member
Name
Richard
Ahh Berber the great nemesis of carpet cleaners. Dry Dry Dry, is the first and foremost. On real dirty ones I tell them I will be back to post scrub with 175 or cimex. Spraying encapuguard will also help your wicking issues. And yes vacuuming is a necessity.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
Vacuum!

berber holds a ton of crap, and a lot of soil will wash off the fibres just with the prespray, so then if you try and flush it, you better have as much of the dry soil out as possible or it will all wick up on you.
Vacuum so that you are pulling the loops up, ie against the lay of the carpet.

juniorc82

Supportive Member
Name
Jon Coret
you must get a 175 with bonnett pads if you dont have one and post pad the berber. you must also get better than a 100psi porty. If you do not get a better porty you will be destine to fail. I have a couple of 100 psi portys and I only use them to either clean office carpet or do spot touch up with them.

carpetcleaner

Name
Rob Litwin
Get something to scrub with before cleaning. 175rpm rotary or CBR machine. You will still be able to clean with 100psi.
You could also look for a used Rotovac. Get the 2 head original one, it works get with 100psi.

lust1kiddo

Supportive Member
the shit is I almost never actualy clean carpets..95 % is rugs..I live in brooklyn..everyone has hardwood floors and just have area rugs. I really dont wanna have to spend alot of money to get equipment that I will almost never use.

I will use pre sprays that some of you have recommended and stuff and just do the best I can.
For 50 bucks a room I am not gonna kill myself crazytown..

8)

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
I hope your not using formula 90 on wool rugs. I agree with Martin high flow and recover gets it clean.

gene

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
lust1kiddo said:
the shit is I almost never actualy clean carpets..95 % is rugs..

Maybe J.L. Rug Cleaning Service would be more fitting since you don't know how to clean upholstery, and you can't clean carpets.

lust1kiddo

Supportive Member
I am not using the 90 on wool rugs anymore..I got one clean and it says that its made for wool also. and frank..I will keep my name, thanks. I screwed up one couch..totally not a big deal. As a matter of fact..the lady still wants me to clean the rest of her rugs so I must be doing something right.

juniorc82

Supportive Member
Name
Jon Coret
Jarred please go take a couple of iicrc classes. if you continue to shoot from the hip its gonna come back to haunt you. also get a 175 and a stronger porty it will help

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
juniorc82 said:
Jarred please go take a couple of iicrc classes. if you continue to shoot from the hip its gonna come back to haunt you. also get a 175 and a stronger porty it will help

Absolutely. Trying to clean a dirty berber without proper preconditioning and just a 100 psi porty shooting high pH emulsfier is futile at best and leaves you at risk for redos after it dries. The reason people end up dry cleaning berbers is because they are agitating the soils loose as they would with a 175 preconditioning. The 175 with a soft brush and a wool prespray would be a great addition for your rug cleaning process also. Get some training. Don't learn on your customers belongings.

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
lust1kiddo said:
I am not using the 90 on wool rugs anymore..I got one clean and it says that its made for wool also. and frank..I will keep my name, thanks. I screwed up one couch..totally not a big deal. As a matter of fact..the lady still wants me to clean the rest of her rugs so I must be doing something right.

You could also just make it easier on yourself and send me your carpet jobs. :lol:

Seriously, take some classes.
Closest classes are in Medford Long Island, next exit past Coram I believe, 45 minutes out.
http://www.interlinksupply.com/index.html?zip_code=10465

Order the interlink catalog, as well as the Jon-Don catalog, and do some reading.

Jeremy

Name
Jeremy
4outof5-.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom