Best vac for under $150

I am a big fan of the 45 dollar bissel from the mart. I have 3, but the cheaply made vac is starting to piss me off. For the big jobs, it can't get the job done without a let down. I want to buy a little better vac. A vac that will hold up. But low priced. What is a step above the 45 dollar bissel. They have an upgrade vac, it is a hepa bissel at wal mart for 78 dollars. But I want a longer cord then 30 feet. Thank You, Ron

DRScrivner

Ron I am a HUGE Bisell fan too but I don't play with the $49 model at all.

In the lat 5 years I have had 3 of these:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product. ... id=3926101

Here is EXACTLY what you need and what can break on them.

1. Get 2 or 3 extra sets of foam filters (2 filters- round in upper canister, flat square post motor filter), so you can switch out every job (or more often if REALLY crappy).

2. I bought an extra clear cannister (bissell.com) that I take in every night and wash one (if not both) out and let it dry out- nice and clean looking that way. Wash the filters at night too- simple run under water until they are not spewing black anymore.

3. I have a had the hoses clog on me if you push the limits too much- spilled papper shredders always seem to get the best of me. I bought an extra hose at bissel.com, change it out an leave the clogged one to fix later at the end of the day.

4. I bought a plain shovel handle at Home Depot to clear to hose jams. Shove that bad boy in there and run the hose down it. Sometines on really bad clogs I have had to run a garden hose in there and get it all wet and gooey.

5. The foot release pedal will break on you, by wearing down. Can't find that at bissell.com-- local buy- I get 2 or 3 at a time- $4.95 each. They are a BITCH to replace though.

There you go on that model.

I just bought one of these it works well but has not proven itself to me for realiabilty yet over time, so i keep one of my Revolutions with me too.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product. ... d=10603462

Upsides:

1. Wider diameter vacuum hose (less clogs).

2. No cannister/tank filter.

3. 6 inch wide Turbo Brush.

Downsides:

1. I LOVE my turbo brush on stairs, this one is rubber coated and will not glide back and forth it is a pull only deal- NO PUSHING!

as far as the longer then 30 foot cord I hear ya, but probably not gonna happen on a Bissell.

G

DR; I would stay with Bissell; Just cut plug off and add more cord or add a 25 foot extension cord.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Ron;

EUREKA Commercial vacs... Professional Appearance....Chrome Resists Rust

Time tested to stand up to chimp abuse.
e887.jpg

Larry

R

rotovacguy

I use a Bissell called the "Lift Off Revolution Pet", got it at Target for $149. When using the attachments, the motor and waste cup part lifts off the vacuum assembly so you can easily do steps, small areas, and such without having to move the entire vacuum.

Derek

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
for me it would be a used yellow (DC07) Dyson off eBay...everytime.

davegillfishing

Supportive Member
Name
dave gill
ron i have the 887 that larry posted up and man it is awesome!!
it will be the vac that is on all of my trucks and will stay that way. you cant go wrong..
spend a few extra bucks and just be done with it.
dave

mwall2230

Name
Mike Wallace
Dave I have a 887 also, I just wish it had a hand held attachment for stairs.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
mwall2230 said:
Dave I have a 887 also, I just wish it had a hand held attachment for stairs.

egg-zaccally.
That's why under desks in offices are dust and debris city where janitors use Sanitare/Eurekas
they don't gobble chunks well is another reason we quit using them years ago
stalling the beater/brush bar because the belt design sucks was an issue too

..L.T.A.

Jay D

Name
Jay D
I was given a new sanitaire 16" with the shakeout bag by a customer. She did'nt like it. :mrgreen: My wife has a $78 bissel and likes it better than the sanitaires i've had especially the dirt cup bissel.

I too have had the vac by sanitaire. The problems Meat discussed, I experienced also. I had problem with the height adjustment too. Thank you all for your posts. I called Larry and ordered one 887. I am going to try it again. If Mickey and Dave Gill uses them its okay by me. Ron

John Buxton

I think I paid a tad over $150.00 but I have a Panasonic Commercial with onboard tools that I like. Its kinda loud but works good. Think I've had it for at least 5 years.

hogjowl

Idiot™
My Dyson is the best residential vac. I have ever used. It has all the features I like in a vac. However, for commercial, my back pak vac. is king. It gets under desks and into corners better than an upright.

rhyde

Name
rhyde
EUREKA Commercial (sanataire ) here too

I’d rather buy one vacuum @ 250.00 that last 10 years than 10 that at 50 .00

Jstucky owns a vaccum shop with a lot of different models including sanitaire and riccar and a bunch others...i pmed him and he sent me a bunch of different links with different vac's...pm him...pricing seems right on from where i've compared....

Grant D

Do any of these Bissells have washable/permanent hepa filters? If not how much do they cost and how often are you replacing those?

I like my Lindhaus but there are not generic bags available so I have to pay, gulp, $2.50 each.

DRScrivner

Grant D said:
Do any of these Bissells have washable/permanent hepa filters? If not how much do they cost and how often are you replacing those?
Depending upon the model you have 2 or 3 filters total.

Lower end ones have 3- 1) Canister filter, 2) Post motor filter, 3) HEPA filter.

Cyclonics have 2- 1) Post motor filter and 2) HEPA filter

The HEPA's ARE NOT washable. I replace mine about every 90 days or so.

In all models (that I know of) the Post motor filter is washable. The canister filter is a throw away on the really cheap models (under $50 - $60), but is washable foam on the medium priced models ($75- $100).

Tim V.

Why would you waste your time with a washable filter? They smell very bad when and if the dry. I sold/sell vacuums for 13 years now in a store in Delaware. If your buying a bissell, hoover, eureka, etc. get the cheapest one. They are all the same just different gimmicks on the machine. the dyson fans out there, buy a belt for the machine and you will find out how nice the machine is, $70.00 and it take two people who know what they are doing to put it on. Home machine are make to run 1 hour a week for one year. Simplicity and Miele, windsor, Lindhaus are made to run everyday for years and will pick up much better than anything out there on the market and they look professional. If you are doing cheap cleaning where theecarpet is trashed use a cheap vac, High end home want to see a great looking vacuum.

Pro team back pack with the powerhead for $799.00 or the Simplicty X-9 would be the best all around vacuum. Tools and carpet and steps.

Just carpet with no tools ths Sanitaire or the Hoover Conquest great machines

DRScrivner

Tim V. said:
Why would you waste your time with a washable filter? They smell very bad when and if the dry. I sold/sell vacuums for 13 years now in a store in Delaware. If your buying a bissell, hoover, eureka, etc. get the cheapest one. They are all the same just different gimmicks on the machine.

I totally disagree after 5 years of steady carpet cleaning and janitorial work with Bissells with washable foam filters.

1- They don't smell.
2- Easy to wash- clear water rinse.
3- 100% dry in the morning.
4- Pay one time.

B&BGaryC

Name
B&BGaryC
admiralclean said:
My Dyson is the best residential vac. I have ever used. It has all the features I like in a vac. However, for commercial, my back pak vac. is king. It gets under desks and into corners better than an upright.

Dysons go downhill fast. At this point I am only vacuuming for show and to pick up the visible stuff. No more sand in the dirt cup. I have gotten it serviced twice and it doesn't really help. Time for a new vacuum.

joey895

Supportive Member
Name
Joey J.
Tim V. said:
Why would you waste your time with a washable filter? They smell very bad when and if the dry. I sold/sell vacuums for 13 years now in a store in Delaware. If your buying a bissell, hoover, eureka, etc. get the cheapest one. They are all the same just different gimmicks on the machine. the dyson fans out there, buy a belt for the machine and you will find out how nice the machine is, $70.00 and it take two people who know what they are doing to put it on. Home machine are make to run 1 hour a week for one year. Simplicity and Miele, windsor, Lindhaus are made to run everyday for years and will pick up much better than anything out there on the market and they look professional. If you are doing cheap cleaning where theecarpet is trashed use a cheap vac, High end home want to see a great looking vacuum.

Pro team back pack with the powerhead for $799.00 or the Simplicty X-9 would be the best all around vacuum. Tools and carpet and steps.

Just carpet with no tools ths Sanitaire or the Hoover Conquest great machines

I have a simplicity and it sucks...and I don't mean in the good way. I retired it to my house after I realized how much better the bissil vacuumed and now it collects dust because my wife refuses to use it.

I also disagree on the washable filters. They NEVER smell for me and are easy to wash in the sink and dry by next morning.

I have noticed that anyone who sells vacuums hates the bissels but the people who actually use them everyday like them. :?

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
B&BGaryC said:
admiralclean said:

Dysons go downhill fast. At this point I am only vacuuming for show and to pick up the visible stuff. No more sand in the dirt cup. I have gotten it serviced twice and it doesn't really help. Time for a new vacuum.

I have had my Dyson for 2.5 years.....and not put a penny into it....I dropped it down a flight of stairs and it has fallen off the back of my truck and it still keeps going...About every three months I push a few buttons and take it all apart and wash out all the chambers and filters and snap it all back together and it is like brand new again....The wand in the handle allows me to walk up 16 stairs with the base at the bottom and vacuum
it is also great for edging ...light weight..quite.... and very easy to maintain......

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
I echo what Jim said. 2 years and no problems, still vacs like the day I bought it. I love the fact that nearly everything stays in the cup and seldon even wash the filter.

Grant D

I want to try one of these Bissells. Should I try the model Cleanview II for I think about $80, or should I try a Momentum for about $110?

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Grant D said:
I want to try one of these Bissells. Should I try the model Cleanview II for I think about $80, or should I try a Momentum for about $110?

Momentums sell for $89 to $99 around my hood

between the Cleanview, Powerforce and Momentum (I've owned and ASBUSED them all in sec 8 rehabs)
The Momentum is the better choice due to less filter cleaning hassles.

...L.T.A.

Just bought a dirt devil at wally world 60.00 bagless, hepa, extra wide GIRTH.

My old one died , works great and I got a Rotary stair tool with it...gasp

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom