Best Vac Setup?

Willy P

Name
Willy P
I've fiddled with a whack of different configurations, but my favourite was quad 2 stages, one high performance, one lower draw, two sets of series in paralell to a 2 inch standpipe. Does anyone put that configuration in a porty ?- Don't give me the plug crap, I run 4 or 5 all the time and have done 7 cords before a few times- nice working range :) I can figure out the electrical in most places in 30 seconds flat.

John Watson

WillyPP has no problem packin letric cords, He jest hangs them on his handlebars!!!

Willy P

Name
Willy P
Ron Werner said:
Speaking of plug crap, you're still better with 2 max. 3 if you really must. After that your porty will look like an electrician's nightmare!!

Here's a 7 cord set up. Only 3 for machine and 4 for heat. I've done it a few times and always live in mortal fear of a power surge.

2 plugs for base unit- 3 vacs, 600 PSI Pumptec.
100_0282.jpg

1 plug for vac booster

100_0285.jpg

First 3200 watt heater
100_0283.jpg

Second 3200 watt heater. The water gets screaming hot on one, two really doesn't make any difference unless the wand is keyed for long periods of time.

100_0287.jpg

No blown electrical, but I ran 3 cords into the shop. This was a buddy's house and I just was playing to see how much I could squeak out. I've also done this setup in an office as well.

Willy P

Name
Willy P
rhino1 said:
Jeez, I feel for you. Ever look into the Steamin Demon for those High rises?

I had one and maybe the learning curve was beyond me or I didn't feel like I was getting the carpet as clean as I liked or in a method I was accustomed to. For the most part, I run 4 cords with ease, 2 for machine, 2 for heater. Here's a peek at the downtown core, millions of sf of carpet in a 20 mile radius and most guys trying to service it with a 100 psi Ninja. :roll: One place I've worked in had the top 2 floors of a condo(28 and 29) converted into one suite. It's sort of a boutique market, but it can be profitable and I also service ground level :wink:
I took this pic on the 12th floor:
Picture103.jpg

This is about a quarter of the high rise area
Vancouver20Aerial.jpg

Willy P

Name
Willy P
And here's the quad vac setup I had on my old Ninja, with a big azz old General pump, pegged out at 500 psi. It was a 3 cord setup, but AWESOME power:

boosterBox05.jpg

Name
Bill Soukoreff
Willy, why not get Greenie to build you a machine to your specs?

I agree with you about General pumps. I will report back when I get mine up and running.

roro

Name
Ross Craig
Of the various types of portable configurations that we use my preferred are those the units that have 2 x 7" vacs in parallel. When longer hose runs are required we use an inline booster and an inline pump-out.
We always use lpg heating even in high rise work ; the only problem has been recently when one of the guys sat the Little Giant right under a fire senser :oops: Charge for call out of the fire brigade didn't make for much of a profit on that job. :roll:

roro

Willy P

Name
Willy P
Bill Soukoreff said:
Willy, why not get Greenie to build you a machine to your specs?

I agree with you about General pumps. I will report back when I get mine up and running.

My first General lasted for 4 years before a rebuild. 3 sets of vacs, one pump.The second was 5 years old and ran like a top. I just don't like Pumptec. Hypro would be my second choice. Just change the oil every six months and you'll love it. I don't think there's room in the cavity of a Greenie for the pump and vac set up I'm looking for, as you see what I had to do to my Ninja . I'm thinking about doing a custom build to get exactly what I want , maybe in a stainless/ fiberglass modular build. But first, I gotta get the top secret Omega project finished. :?:

Name
Bill Soukoreff
So Willy, first choice in pump General or Hypro (you mean the old piston type, right)?

Hypro says the piston type are very sensitive to freezing, even a minor frost and the whole thing is garbage. Ever hear that? Plus, they don't make one with a direct drive plate to just bolt on to standard Nema 56 C motor face which is the motor I have and would like to use.

As for piston style, I think General wins hands down.

I agree about pump-tec. Serious problems with premature valve failure. Too bad. Pump breakdowns in the middle of a job in winter really suck.

Willy P

Name
Willy P
The problem with the Hypro is the cast head. Again, second choice after General. I don't know what voodoo they do, but they do it very well. I went through 3 sets of vacs before a pump rebuld. Is that a Leeson motor your using? Watch out for the reset switch on those. Once they pop it's at least 20 minutes of down time until it kicks back in. They need cool.

Name
Bill Soukoreff
Thanks. No I have a Marathon 1.5 HP, 1725 rpm that came with the pump-tec 356 1200 psi pump. The water horse or water otter. Nice motor.

If I buy the valve kit here in Canada, they are $85. That's fine if you could get the 500 hrs out of them as you are supposed to.

General it is.

Greenie

Bill Soukoreff said:
.... Plus, they don't make one with a direct drive plate to just bolt on to standard Nema 56 C motor face which is the motor I have and would like to use.

As for piston style, I think General wins hands down.

That was actually the first Spec I wanted (the Nema 56c) but it was more expensive, and drew more amps, still a damned good idea, and I'm pretty damn sure it'll fit in the M5 chassis, I need at least a 1/2hp motor to drive the general, although a 3/4hp would be studly...it can be done.

Bob Savage

Name
Bob Savage
You would really be surprised at how much vacuum you don't need, especially when doing high rises. :wink:

A single large 3-stage vac is all you'll need, because you don't have to clean more than 50' from the recovery tank.

The problem with ALL portables (I own two), is that all of the components are in the same case — vac(s), pump, APO (if it has one), fresh tank, waste tank, chemical jug, wiring, internal hoses/fittings, etc. That makes the unit heavy and unyielding to move around and get in and out of your van, without ramps and an extra hand or 2. That's why I spent years designing a machine that is easy to move around, but will still give you high production, and deep cleaning. With auto feed, chemical injection, and a reliable APO (no bucket brigade), you can clean for hours without stopping!

Our electric truckmount can do what all of these portables do, and better, in my opinion (based on using our setup for high rises many times).

Since our electric truckmount is designed in separate modules, and can combine any type of change in components to fit the job (i.e., pressure pump size, heater type, etc.), because you now have 1 HWE machine that can handle just about any type of cleaning job you may encounter, whether the job is 75', or 400' from your van, or it is on the 100th floor. You still have the truckmount cleaning power that you are used to for cleaning.

One person can easily pick up each module of our truckmount, and place it onto the specially designed 2 wheeled dolly for a "one trip transport" inside. (including wand, chemicals, and all hoses necessary to clean with).

Taking this unit inside for cleaning, the LP doesn't go in, but instead a dual element electric heater 2000/2000 watt type does. Since the machine works on 1 cord only, 1 or 2 additional cords will give you steam at the wand using the electric heater.

I feed the pump hot water (direct connect), and can get steam using the 2000/2000 watt heater, using just 3 cords total, or use only one of the heating elements and use a 2 cord inside setup.

I have tried putting scores of vac motors together in all types of configurations over the years, but when all the dust had settled, I realized versatility in design would give you all the vacuum that you needed for great drying times.

Greenie

Bob, I always want more vacuum, if 100 cfm is good, 200 is better, if a 1.5: wand is good, a 2" is better. Drier = cleaner in HWE.

Under full load, what is the net CFM produced on your single 3 stage? I found 50 cfm will extract, but a real 100 cfm was magical when supported with high water lift at the same load level....so now getting a real 100 cfm under full load is important to me on electric systems.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom