Best way for established business' to jump start income??

G

Lets say you have a CC business that is established, does good $$ numbers, and is pretty much moving along smoothly. For those that have gotten their biz to the next level and are really achieving at a high level what were some of the things that you started to do that were successful? You know, what were things that catipulted you to that next level.

Going to Connections and talking with other cleaners really has gotten me thinking about this. What are some basic things we all can be doing to really be successful?

Is it marketing? Is it upselling? Is it providing better service? All of the above? What have you done specifically that made a difference?

G

Holy crap, I asked for guys who are successful to reply, not the dorks who sit on the boards 24/7!!!! :twisted:

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Here's a story that was told to me by a cleaner who went from "doing ok" to nearly doubling his business.

It happened in an unexpected way:

This individual became heavily involved in a trade association, and to make time for his volunteer duties, he had to become more organized, and schedule his work more sensibly.

He noticed that he was often "scheduling soft" to leave time to stop off at the hardware store for things for the home, taking care of other "household stuff", having some extra coffee break time with his buddies at the local diner, etc. He also would take any job in any area without too much regard to travel time.

When his volunteer duties forced him to tighten things up and to "be at work" all day, he realized how much time he had been wasting. Once his duties with the trade association ended, he found that his business was a part time job he had spread out over an eight hour day/40 hour week.

He used that extra time to market and develop his business as aggressively as he worked for the trade association.

Perhaps this isn't the same as a great marketing idea, but finding more time in the day to do what you already know how to do is likely more important than a "magic bullet idea".

Bottom line: With all due respect to those who selling marketing programs, "get your house in order" first, then do the things you know you should be doing, but may not yet be doing, before you jump into anything new.

PS: Sorry for the long post Marty.........(I know I'm going to hear about this!)

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Man I hate to sound like a broken record (if anyone remembers what those are :shock:) but SFS is jammed full of tools aimed at taking you to the next level.

I just got back and have sooo much to do, it was the kick in the pants I needed to wake me up.

Of course you to put the material in action for it to work, but at least SFS gives you have the tools to make it easier.
:D

dgargan

Great post by Jim and I experienced the same thing when I got my life in order and then the business just got easier.
In my own experience the next best thing I did was work on branding my business. This is very involved to put in a single post but there are many sources that will help you do this and help you bring your business to the next level. Don't go it alone. There is a wealth of info out there and many people to draw from who know how this business works.

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
Richard Chavez said:
Man I hate to sound like a broken record (if anyone remembers what those are :shock:) but SFS is jammed full of tools aimed at taking you to the next level.

I just got back and have sooo much to do, it was the kick in the pants I needed to wake me up.

Of course you to put the material in action for it to work, but at least SFS gives you have the tools to make it easier.
:D

THEN WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE, RICHARD??? GET CRACKING!!! :)

Now I will quit shouting. And thank you Richard for being part of our select group. We loved having you in the class. Now just who can I pick on instead of Richard in October at Langhorne? Hmmmm ...

Seriously, you need both the tools Richard refers to (you leave SFS with over 1,000 pages of systems and procedures) but also the time that Jim mentions.

BTW, Curt, Richard was at SFS last week on his second time around. Maybe the boost you need is to re-attend as an honored alumni! Everyone tells me SFS is actually more valuable on the second and third time through ...

It has been well said that "time is the only resource you can't buy more of". And yes, we ALL (me too!) fritter time away on what I call "displacement activities". The key is to not fool yourself into thinking you are "working" when it fact this is recreation masquerading as work.

Steve Toburen CR
Director of Training and Displacement Activities
Jon-Don Strategies for Success

PS My practice was to constantly ask myself, "What is my highest and best use?" and also "Can someone else do this instead of me?" I called this "delegating authority" while my employees (and my wife) call it "shirking responsibility"! Your choice.

Numero Uno

Name
Caesar
For me it was a constant development of use full systems...

No matter whether bookkeeping,checklists for a specific type job(furniture/carpets/windows /whatever...\

Then constantly tweaking them as new technology appears and or new products...

But when you systematize what ever you do it is easier for others to uniformly follow your set procedures.

troubleshooting is also easier...

Like so many people have a butler system,with the system they give you a schematic for you repair needs...

That is fine but i had to tweak that too...

Now when you pull it down to look at it,it is set up with labels saying the size and type of tool needed for r/r...

Also the butler part number to expedite orders...

Today I just finished a way to protect the metal window channels from being bent they seldom are.But now even that probability is even lower...

Greg Loe

So Jim, are you saying " to hell with those industry associations, take care of your own business"?

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Many cleaners spend too much time working at the job instead of on the job.

Take at least 2 days a month off from cleaning and spend those entire days on marketing. The time off will be more than made up from the increased work from your consistent marketing efforts.

I have also found that you get the most bang from your marketing buck and time in making a relationship with referral hubs. Just 1 contact has the potential to bring in hundreds of future jobs.

Dave-

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Greg: I think that there are marketing programs and other industry support have value.

What I meant was that before you buy new ideas, make sure you have made the time in your business and in your life to implement them. Then, before you pay for more ideas you may not use, take the time to do the stuff you probably know how to do, but haven't practiced.

Once you've done that, and you are organized and ready, you can begin to consider new ideas from the organization, marketing program, or mentor that has something that fits your needs and your style.

You've probably known guys who have a few marketing manuals on their shelves, right next to motivation books, management books, sales journals, and related items that have never been opened.

I just think you need to use what you've got before you reach for the next new idea, hoping that it will be a vaccination that will cure business woes.

Thanks for giving me a chance to clarify that one Greg.

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
How did you get so smart, Jim? (And with such good manners too.)

Island Boy

PS I appreciate you not getting into the rough and tumble here and yet still sharing your pearls of wisdom. "A voice of wisdom in a desert of one-upmanship and 'mine is bigger than yours' silliness."

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
once you learn all the rules.........then you know how to play the game

Learn your market and it will fall at your feet.............

Marketing programs suck and all you will end up doing is breaking even if you are lucky and lining someone else's pockets.........so they can brag about how large there carpet cleaning business is (?) on your dime.............

every situation is different........what might of worked for one may never work for the other..............

once you have tracked and know all the ups/downs for your area.stay ahead of whats going on in your community.......the rest is a cake walk.........

or you can post vacuum and charge .60 a sqft and go for broke............

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
"T" is right.... WoW did I say that?

We have a consultant from the University of Kansas that visits us a couple of times a month, at no cost at all.

Very sharp man and it's all free to small businesses in NE Kansas.

Check with your local University or Chamber of Commerce.

Don't get too happy "T"....even a broken clock is right twice a day! :p

KeithCo

Name
Keith Collins
Curt,

You first need to figure out how much more you can do by yourself.

I know you're a sports Dad and you can't cut into that time.

It might be time for the dreaded employees next.

Always available for an email or call.

Keith

Charlie Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Charlie Lyman
Thanks for all the great info posted on this thread. It makes me think about all of the time that I waste each day. I have a huge marketing book sitting here collecting dust that needs to be put to work. I always tell people that are out of work to not expect some company to call them out of the blue and ask if they want a job. They have to go out and put in some applications. I am pissing away time here and I should be out handing out door hangers.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom