Best way to attempt to remove HAIR DYE

Name
R.J. Povio
Customer called and spilled hair dye on her bathroom carpet. Carpet is a light purple low pile 100% nylon. We already told her that we most likely will not be able to remove the stain. What can and or should I try.

We called CTI they said to use power gel first and then rinse really well. Then if anything is left use red relief then use the steam/iron.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
And it wouldn't hurt if you knew how to re-dye bleached areas.
Not to jinx it.
Just in case :shock:

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
Aww come on guys.. ..

Do what CTI suggested,, then if all else fails hit it with stain magic... cover the stain up with plastic and check the next day.

Ryan

kolfer1 said:
And it wouldn't hurt if you knew how to re-dye bleached areas.
Not to jinx it.
Just in case :shock:

Crayolas aren't that hard to use..

carpetcleaner

Name
Rob Litwin
I follow what CTI said. It works sometimes. When it doesn't, I put Stain Magic on.

I haven't always been able to get it all out, but it always looks a lot better.

John Olson

Name
John Olson
Hair Dye is Easier do what Todd (or whoever you talked to at CTI) told you to and be a Hero.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Even the guys at CTI, talk with them David, will admit that some time (depending on fiber, if you use heat transfer or not etc,) it could strip the carpet's dye or create the halo effect.

If you qualify with the client before hand- no problem. It is their carpet and they are the one to decide if they are willing to take the risk.

Nice to be a hero, qualify first.

Ryan, crayolas do not work as well as re dying, it is very hard to match the colors, unless you know how to mix them yourself. I never tried to mix them, so I don't know how well that works.
However, the beige,light browns, grays etc; are quite tricky, unless the client is not very particular.

Maybe one of the crayon GURUS will chip in. I'd be very interested to know how they achieve a close to perfect match.

Can you mix the different crayons?
How?

I know that there are some really expensive very complete crayons sets out there, to the tune of a few hundreds dollars.

Gurus?

Name
R.J. Povio
i tried the Lorel hair dye remover (2 different brands too), CTI Power Gel, a strong solvent, the red relief with a wall paper steamer....no luck at all. Of course I rinsed carpet after using each of those chems. I did mix up stain magic and sprayed spots and covered with clear plastic. I will let you guys know if the stain magic worked at all. Thanks again for all the suggestions and help!

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
I hope you didn't start with the Loreal products...

You may have set it from the get go. we'll keep our fingers crossed for the stain magic.

Name
Shawn Forsythe
There must be something to this situation we are not hearing in this post. As rule, hair dye is not attacked with an oxidizer, as it will tend to intensify the color of the dye. If CTI recommended Stain Magic, there must be some circumstances to which we have not been privy.

Here is the general instruction page for Hair Dye removal from CTI's Stain Guide. Note the warning about oxidizers.

http://www.proschoice.com/html/hair_dye.html

Now, I am not saying that an oxidizer may not work, because oxidizers can definitely alter chromophores on dye molecules, but that it generally does not work in this regard on hair dyes as well as it would carpet dyes if used in the intensity to operate. This is a special case where chemical reduction may decolor the hair dye before doing significant damage to the carpet dye. Hair dye is tough though. Quite often all you can do is mitigate it some without having to do color correction.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom