best way to fix this issue on 1 year old bathroom floor - granite

Terry

Supportive Member
Name
Terry O'Brien
house cleaner used Method Brand Toilet Bowl Cleaner (5% citric acid) to clean shower floor and walked out on granite tile in absolute black with a matte leathered finish leaving some bad shoe prints.
What's the best way to correct?
12584-64f1b8ea84fabb7956c8bd0237d512d5.jpg
IMG952241.jpg

Attachments

• IMG952242 (3).jpg
    IMG952242 (3).jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 385

Terry

Supportive Member
Name
Terry O'Brien
Update -
I spoke with Rob Fairfield from Stone Pro in California and he told me that that the absolute Black granite tile is treated with Tenax uniblack 1 and will need to have this applied as the citric acid in the cleaner has removed some of the dye already in about 20 tiles.
Anyone know of a Mass or RI contractor that can handle this.

Name
cameron demille
There is no way to tell what product is on the floor. Uniblack 1 is a good guess, but unless you get confirmation from the person that applied it, it's only a guess. It could be a dye, or any number of or enhancers. If it is only the color that is affected, then the sheen on the stone will be uninterrupted across the damaged areas. If this is the case, then follow Rob's advice

If the sheen is gone from those areas, then it is etched as well and will need to be refinished with antiquing brushes. not many people are equipped to take this on in a house.

Reactions: Terry

srosen

Name
stuart rosen
I agree with Cam-no way to know what was used exactly to bring out the depth of color on a honed granite.
Doesn't look leathered to me just honed-we do a lot of these in our area.
However most likely it was a color enhancer which will etch or degrade when exposed to household acids like acetic, citric, etc.
Stronger acids like hydrofluoric and others can etch Granites severely.
Generally we will hone off the etched/damaged color enhancer(using 150 or 250 grit honing powder) and reapply a similar color enhancer.
Black absolute is very dense so the enhancer is topical and can be removed using abrasives.

Reactions: Terry

Terry

Supportive Member
Name
Terry O'Brien
Thanks for all the input.
The stone and tile vendor has connected the homeowner to a stone restoration company in the greater Boston area who plan on honing and then reapplying the enhancer.
I'll post a picture of the floor when its fixed.

Reactions: Old Coastie

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom