Best ways to lowering noise levels of a TM ???

Mardie

Name
Mardie VanBree
Has anyone here ever gone to great extents to lowering the noise levels of a TM and what did you find most effective. Sound absorbing foam insulation ? After market blower silencers ? Placement of blowers or silencers ? Rubber bushings used for installation of motors and blowers to reduce sound reverberation? Truck body designed for closed door operation? Purchased TM which is naturally more quiet ? and what is it about the more quiet TMs that make them quieter ? Do way oversized blowers turn slower and hence produce less noise ? Are some blower models quieter than others ?

Last edited:

mirf

Supportive Member
Name
David Mirfin
I never have. When I am on the truck i like to hear it from inside.

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
I never have. When I am on the truck i like to hear it from inside.

If I can't hear mine from inside the house I get nervous. The best one I heard was a really ratty Sears TM that was parked 100 yards away from me at an obnoxious courtyard apartment job. We both had really long setups, and I could barely hear my TM, then the Sears dudes started theirs' and it sounded like a jet plane at Metro Airport. Even from 100 yards away it boomed and echoed so everyone within a 1/4 mile could hear. That was impressive. They even ran their hot solution line across a dozen lawns. The only thing better would have been if they spelled "Call Sears" with the lawn burn.

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
It depends what blower and speed your running but a properly sized industrial silencer to start with. The 2 muffler system can work to an extent but if your turning the blower more than 2600 its not going to be quiet enough for me. (Been there done that). Connect the silencer as close to the blower as possible and use the rubber coupler material between them. Use proper size exhaust pipe to run through the floor under the van. I like my blower exhaust turned away from where I stand at the van. I also think that using heavy gauge pipe helps to reduce resonance. I added an additional muffler under the van just because I had it but I don't know if it made any difference. I don't know how accurate the decibel meters are on smart phones but mine is 96 @ 8' from the unit. Don't know what is was before but seems like it was probably almost twice that loud.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Isn't that the sound to alert the neighbors to clean their own filthy, abused , overdue for a cleaning carpets?

Mardie

Name
Mardie VanBree
Isn't that the sound to alert the neighbors to clean their own filthy, abused , overdue for a cleaning carpets?

Or it could be the sound of crying babies, pissed of shift workers trying to get some sleep, pissed of neighbours trying to watch their favorite soap or trying to enjoy a barbeque with friends at poolside or calls to the police for late night noise complaints or just anyone who dosnt like that loud winy irritating noise intruding on their space. For every noise complaint made their would be many more people that just keep tongue in cheek. I am sure that their are ways to bring these noise levels down to a acceptable level.Their is a saying that the accused is always the last to find out.

Last edited:

gtech12v

Excellent answer , you are correct regular car mufflers do not work as good as a real vacuum blower silencer due to size and thin metal they are not design for fast pulsation air discharge ,been there also the big company's don't turn the blower the way the small company's do.
use an industrial silencer as your main silencer and them you can add a car silencer under the van and it will make a big difference

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
Mardie, Foam insulation and rubber vibration dampeners aren't going to do anything for noise. My buddy's two Prochems are very quiet, both have industrial silencers right under the blower and then heat exchangers which I assume helps to quiet even more. That said I don't think they run near the max limits on the blower.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
...what did you find most effective.
Sound absorbing foam insulation ? NO
After market blower silencers ? NO
Placement of blowers or silencers ? NO
Rubber bushings used for installation of motors and blowers to reduce sound reverberation? NO
Truck body designed for closed door operation? YES
Purchased TM which is naturally more quiet ? YES
and what is it about the more quiet TMs that make them quieter ? Silencer, closed truck, blower choice.
Do way oversized blowers turn slower and hence produce less noise ? NO just a different resonance
Are some blower models quieter than others ? YES

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
You be attempting to fix problems that do not exist again?

he has to rationalize a world where there's only schampoo....

Mardie, not all TMs are "loud"
But to make a loud TM less loud....
1. Run blower/exhaust thru the floor
2.Install hi-flow performance/header muffler under the van (it helped with mine) and blow it under the van .
You "redirect" the noise and spread to the ground ..instead the neighbor's front door

there's still quite a bit of racket that comes from the machine it's self.
and if you can close the doors Like Ozzie mentioned, you kill much of that noise too.
Unfortunately, many of us can't close 'em all up

I have to know though, do you throw rocks at your neighbors when they're mowing the lawn?:icon_rolleyes:

oh yea...just one last thing on noise .
Betcha a nickel the TM op is less noisy INSIDE the home than YOU are ...think about that'un
Not to mention less mess INTRUSION in their home....cause we're not using their sinks and toilets mix soap and dump dUrty carpet nectar .
That and efficiency are you ones you REALLY oughta think about, Chief

..L.T.A.

Mardie

Name
Mardie VanBree
he has to rationalize a world where there's only schampoo....

Mardie, not all TMs are "loud"
But to make a loud TM less loud....
1. Run blower/exhaust thru the floor
2.Install hi-flow performance/header muffler under the van (it helped with mine) and blow it under the van .
You "redirect" the noise and spread to the ground ..instead the neighbor's front door

there's still quite a bit of racket that comes from the machine it's self.
and if you can close the doors Like Ozzie mentioned, you kill much of that noise too.
Unfortunately, many of us can't close 'em all up

I have to know though, do you throw rocks at your neighbors when they're mowing the lawn?:icon_rolleyes:

oh yea...just one last thing on noise .
Betcha a nickel the TM op is less noisy INSIDE the home than YOU are ...think about that'un
Not to mention less mess INTRUSION in their home....cause we're not using their sinks and toilets mix soap and dump dUrty carpet nectar .
That and efficiency are you ones you REALLY oughta think about, Chief

..L.T.A.

Larry have you stopped to think for one moment why I am interested in how to set up a TM ? My inquires are not meant to rationalize anything and if I were not interested in TMs I would not waste my time on these subjects. And as far as being intrusive in a home you should not get what I do mixed up with a hwe porty ,big difference and as far as being noisy and intrusive I would not call turning a cc job sight into a construction zone such as TMs do as non intrusive. No matter how you cut it every cc job is an intrusion. You should stop looking at my posts as an attack on hwe. All is not rosy with hwe and that is were my concerns are and them are the things that I look for answers on. jeeez

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
All is not rosy with hwe and that is were my concerns

It's the Racine Wi mind control chip, Mardie.
The batteries my be dieing , but there's a subconscious Pavlov response that's shows in your posts ....:biggrin:

Or it could be the sound of crying babies, pissed of shift workers trying to get some sleep, pissed of neighbours trying to watch their favorite soap

you make it sound like there's a jet engine or top fuel dragster roaring in the drive :icon_razz:
again, is anyone throwing rocks as the lawn mowers?
The guys pressure washing decks/drives?

Don't over think it.
Obviously you don't want a TM like Art described, but most aren't obnoxious loud .

those VS shampoo boxes still have the slop bucket inside them right?
how/where are you filling and dumping in Mrs Phiff's home?
Maybe "I'm" over thinking this one....but I'm loath to even use the bathroom to take a leak Ms Phiff's house
I sure don't want to use her sink or tub as mix station or toilet to dump swill

naw'mean??

and I'm not sure i understand the "construction zone" comment/analogy .
we're not building deck (though we did built 2 ADA ramps last year)
CCing is nothing like that, no foolin'

.L.T.A

Mardie

Name
Mardie VanBree
All BS aside. I believe my inquiry regarding noise levels has merit. I have heard them and I can assure you it has nothing to do with a mind control chip. I can also see how a long time TM owners would become desensitized to the effects the noise has on the public. If and when I decide to get a TM the noise issues will be addressed as one of my major concerns.

ThaBeast

Name
Dave
I have been working on TM noise on the 'FrankenGenie,'. Which started life as Vawter's real last unit. I can say compared to every other TM I've used this one has a lot less resonance and rattles from the van. I had it linex'd, placed 3/4 blue foam everywhere I could, installed a cargo van interior liner kit, put 3/8 rubber on the floor that everything bolts through. The chemical rack has been braced with rubber cushion installed in the additional bracing.

The blower has been an issue, it's a 47 size currently spinning ~2850 rpm. I wanted to put a stoddard on it but just didn't want to give up that much interior space, and the stoddard is too big to stick under the van. My Gardner Denver rep suggested I try the 'cyclosilencer,' which was a miserable failure--tested between 106-108 db at 2850 rpm. I added this today, copied from Bob, since I got a new welder this week and wanted to play with it. View attachment 1859

View attachment 1860

The cyclo silencer is still under the van, moved the outlet on a 40 series flowmaster from the end to the side as seen in the pic, and stuck it as closeto the blower as I could without totally butchering my full 3" blower exhaust.

Test run at the shop put noise at 96-97 db. That's a huge improvement for a $100 muffler and an afternoon of effort. I'm not happy at 96db and am waiting on some parts to change out the cyclosilencer. Looking to be under 90db. By the way my Butler on Mach II is 98 db, so we are on the right track.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Reactions: Art Kelley

FredC

Village Idiot
Similar to my old pro 2000 ....cept I had two 45s....

Mufflers (4) didn't do much........though they were old...but I couldn't see adding additional inline noise control since 99% of the noise seemed to be "outside" the blower...that is it wasn't channeled through the exhaust

The most quieting was from stiffening and adding dynamat to the unit enclosure and punching a hole in the floor

planned adding an additional "chamber" (hole) but never did

Last edited:
Name
jack zerkie
I had a Hydramaster 470D a 3 cyc water cooled engine the unit was very noisy they did a upgrade on the exaust but still noisy. The unit was just loud at the normal speed. I now have a Cobb base unit 2045 the unit hasa 20 Kohler and exhaust out the side door and was louder than the Hydramaster. I went to a local muffler shop and he built a exhaust to match the unit.The size is the same exhaust and used the same bullet muffler as Cobb . The unit runs under the right sde of the van and exhausts behind the right front tire, all you see is the end of the tip exhaust. I have full size running boards on my van. The cost was about $ 200. and made a major reduction in less sound from the unit. jz.

Name
Steve Lawrence
My quietest TM was a Ballweber with a #5 Sutorbuilt blower and huge industrial muffler mounted under the truck.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom