Better tools make me happy

Bryce C

Name
Bryce
Imagine how much I'll be smiling when I get a van with an SS 370...

For now I'll just savor the excellence of my GG Stair Wand, the Scalpel.
1000024680.jpg

BIG WOOD

The Timminator
Name
Matt w.

View attachment 127586
How long do you think the length of your average hose run will be?

Picture your van parked outside and imagine the perfect job you'd like to have every day for both residential and commercial. You will imagine 2 different setups. How long is the hoses on those 2 setups?

Reactions: Mikey P and Bryce C

Bryce C

Name
Bryce
View attachment 127587

dayum....an' I thought Woody was a bean pole...

Im'a buy you lunch next Saturday
You need a sandwich... 😉

Love
Uncle Lar

..L.T.A.
Haha love it. I could use a sandwich and great company, I'm in!

Ya know I'm like those fancy sports cars. Aerodynamic, I cut through the wind with almost no resistance ;)

Bryce C

Name
Bryce
How long do you think the length of your average hose run will be?

Picture your van parked outside and imagine the perfect job you'd like to have every day for both residential and commercial. You will imagine 2 different setups. How long is the hoses on those 2 setups?
On all the jobs we've come across except 2 commercial jobs I think 200ft would do it. For the rare exceptions (as long as I'm aware of them ahead of time) I imagine we'll do alright with our portable and possibly a vlm machine pulling the trailer we currently use.

Cost upfront, cost of operation, ease of service, and such makes me think a modest tm might be the ticket for us.

If there's ever weird streetside parking only and a 2 story house or whatever... can a 370 handle 250 ft with a single wand? Would it be atleast as powerful as my portable currently is at a 250 ft length?

Last edited:
Reactions: Dolly Llama

BIG WOOD

The Timminator
Name
Matt w.
On all the jobs we've come across except 2 commercial jobs I think 200ft would do it. For the rare exceptions (as long as I'm aware of them ahead of time) I imagine we'll do alright with our portable and possibly a vlm machine pulling the trailer we currently use.

Cost upfront, cost of operation, ease of service, and such makes me think a modest tm might be the ticket for us.

If there's ever weird streetside parking only and a 2 story house or whatever... can a 370 handle 250 ft with a single wand? Would it be atleast as powerful as my portable currently is at a 250 ft length?
I’m not happy with the performance at 250ft

Reactions: Bryce C

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
On all the jobs we've come across except 2 commercial jobs I think 200ft would do it.

I donno about anywhere else...but in most of the res world 200 ft is a rare occasion
can a 370 handle 250 ft with a single wand?
never ran a 370 and don't know what blower/RPM/HG it runs at
I've never ran anything less than a 45 blower/3100rpm/14HG

from that parameter, I can tell you, You'll absolutely notice a difference compared to 150ft.
...enough that you'd want to roll in a porty instead?

1718644088253.png

..L.T.A.

• Love

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni

Here's some other things, Bryce..obviously you know to start at farthest point from TM
even if you start out with needing 250ft, don't be stoopit or lazy and think you need to use that the whole job.
Cut off 50ft lengths as you work out

also, something else that should be common sense* , don't pile up hoses in a jumbled pile mess at end of long hall or outside door.

Not only does all those jumbled mess of tight turns affect recovery/airflow, it also makes it more of a PITA when rolling up hoses

*not be a complete dik, but it's been my observation that common sense ain't so common
and 87.399% of people need to be spoon fed on how to pour water from a boot

..L.T.A.

• Love
Reactions: Bryce C and roro
Name
Jeff T
Big money comes from big jobs, big jobs need alot of hose, alot of hose can only be used properly from a bigger TM…
Go at least a 570

You won’t regret it.

The guys that tell you all you need is a gas powered porty (370), only do smaller jobs.

There are 2 guys local to me that bought 370’s, and BOTH GUYS REGRETTED IT!!!

They both had older PTO’s, were used to having at least a 45 blower.

I heard a story from my TM mechanic, one of the guys was giving up a few jobs he had done for years, cause the 370 couldn’t cut the mustard…

Let’s put it this way, don’t buy a 4 cylinder Mustang or Camaro, cause you’re going to be disappointed…

Mikey P

Administrator
Big money comes from big jobs, big jobs need alot of hose, alot of hose can only be used properly from a bigger TM…
Go at least a 570

You won’t regret it.

The guys that tell you all you need is a gas powered porty (370), only do smaller jobs.

They both had older PTO’s, were used to having at least a 45 blower.

I heard a story from my TM mechanic, one of the guys was giving up a few jobs he had done for years, cause the 370 couldn’t cut the mustard…

Let’s put it this way, don’t buy a 4 cylinder Mustang or Camaro, cause you’re going to be disappointed…

The 370 is the best selling truckmount in the industry, why?
It's not the cheapest.

Long hose runs are better suited to VLM 90% of the time.

Most carpet cleaners are dumb and don't understand gravity, water flow and TACT.

• Love

Luky

Name
Mario

View attachment 127586
Better equipment and tools make you more efficient. There is a distinction between want and need. As we evolve as professionals, we strive for perfection, and we hope that sophisticated equipment will help us to achieve just that. I'm sure you'll cherish the time working with portable, you're constantly learning about time management and other aspects of the business, which you'll find helpful when you move on to TM operation. Even if you get an TM, keep your faithful portable close by, because you may need it at times.
The big deterrent for me would be taking the loan to finance 60-100 K TM. I had a bunch of portables, two ETM's and two TM's , none of them were financed. If I need to replace my current setup right now ( god forbid) I would be able to get the new within a week without feeling financial strain. What I'm trying to comunicate is that fiscal responsibility along the short and long term business plans is the most important factor for business in any industry.

Name
Jeff T
I did 3 jobs today, all in a higher end neighborhood.
2 jobs I ran 175’, and the third was 225’.

Now I run a supercharged mid level TM (47 blower, Cat 5CP pump).

By supercharged I mean I run the TM 600 RPM’s above recommended. (2850 recommends, I run @ 3450).
I also have a custom , stainless steel waste tank lid W/ 2.5” ports.
My first 50’ is 2.5, then I reduce to 2” for the remaining….

Everyone told me that running it like this would cook my blower, WELL….. that was 8 years, and 6200 hrs ago.

I do NOT regret running the system I have, and can EFFECTIVELY clean up to 450’….

image.jpg

Bryce C

Name
Bryce
even if you start out with needing 250ft, don't be stoopit or lazy and think you need to use that the whole job.
Cut off 50ft lengths as you work out

also, something else that should be common sense* , don't pile up hoses in a jumbled pile mess at end of long hall or outside door.

Not only does all those jumbled mess of tight turns affect recovery/airflow, it also makes it more of a PITA when rolling up hoses

..L.T.A.
Great tips that all makes sense. Really appreciate it Larry!

Go at least a 570

You won’t regret it.

Thankfully I've got several months to learn more about my market and what I like doing before getting a TM. I'll definitely consider the step up before purchasing anything if it seems like I'll use it. It would be really nice to have the power to effectively go further when I need to. If my work flow looks like it does now when I have a TM I imagine I'd be using a 570 well under its capacity for most of its life. Do larger TMs do ok in the long term being run like that?

Bryce C

Name
Bryce
Long hose runs are better suited to VLM 90% of the time.
To start this seems like a simple and effective idea. Use VLM most of the times when I would otherwise do better with a bigger TM. I'll always have a portable on seemingly rare occasions when I'd have to go far and do HWE, and soon with a 175. Seems like I'd hardly ever have to turn business away. Gets me in easier and keeps my expenses lower too which is no small thing starting out.

Bryce C

Name
Bryce
I did 3 jobs today, all in a higher end neighborhood.
2 jobs I ran 175’, and the third was 225’.

Now I run a supercharged mid level TM (47 blower, Cat 5CP pump).

By supercharged I mean I run the TM 600 RPM’s above recommended. (2850 recommends, I run @ 3450).
I also have a custom , stainless steel waste tank lid W/ 2.5” ports.
My first 50’ is 2.5, then I reduce to 2” for the remaining….

Everyone told me that running it like this would cook my blower, WELL….. that was 8 years, and 6200 hrs ago.

I do NOT regret running the system I have, and can EFFECTIVELY clean up to 450’….

View attachment 127591
That is sweet man. Looks like a powerhouse. How much gas does a setup like that use on an average work week for you? Is there much difference in consumption stepping up from something like a 370 to a 570?

Name
Jeff T
That is sweet man. Looks like a powerhouse. How much gas does a setup like that use on an average work week for you? Is there much difference in consumption stepping up from something like a 370 to a 570?
What is unique about my situation, we own and operate 2 separate businesses, in separate cities.
I’d have to go through a few average weeks, total it up, and convert from metric to imperial… not a big deal, just need to some digging into it…

And no, the fuel consumption difference is relatively small.

It’s passing up on jobs that you couldn’t do because of limited equipment.

We do HWE, and low moisture cleaning.

They both have their pros and cons.

I’m not trying to discourage or sway you one way or another.

I’m not telling to go to something lile
A Vortex or Aerotech, or even the 870 for that matter…

The 570 gives you more room to grow your business from an ability standpoint.

The 370 is a great TM, it’s just a small TM…

• Love

Bryce C

Name
Bryce
I donno about anywhere else...but in most of the res world 200 ft is a rare occasion

never ran a 370 and don't know what blower/RPM/HG it runs at
I've never ran anything less than a 45 blower/3100rpm/14HG
Seems like the few times we'd be stuck streetside a ways from the home they're always smaller homes with shared parking. On bigger homes they usually have their own driveway. Makes sense 200ft will always do it in res.

Better equipment and tools make you more efficient. There is a distinction between want and need. As we evolve as professionals, we strive for perfection, and we hope that sophisticated equipment will help us to achieve just that. I'm sure you'll cherish the time working with portable, you're constantly learning about time management and other aspects of the business, which you'll find helpful when you move on to TM operation. Even if you get an TM, keep your faithful portable close by, because you may need it at times.
The big deterrent for me would be taking the loan to finance 60-100 K TM. I had a bunch of portables, two ETM's and two TM's , none of them were financed. If I need to replace my current setup right now ( god forbid) I would be able to get the new within a week without feeling financial strain. What I'm trying to comunicate is that fiscal responsibility along the short and long term business plans is the most important factor for business in any industry.
Really great advice Luky. I am learning so much rocking our portable every day. And it makes good sense that it will prepare me well for operating a tm down the road. Fiscal responsibility, I'm trying to do better with this than all that I've done previously. Its a long and tough road to get where I want to be, there are no shortcuts. Funny how much this cleaning business is changing me for the better. Each day I'm redeeming floors and furniture, and all the while being redeemed myself along the way.

Reactions: Luky

Bryce C

Name
Bryce
What is unique about my situation, we own and operate 2 separate businesses, in separate cities.
I’d have to go through a few average weeks, total it up, and convert from metric to imperial… not a big deal, just need to some digging into it…

And no, the fuel consumption difference is relatively small.

It’s passing up on jobs that you couldn’t do because of limited equipment.

We do HWE, and low moisture cleaning.

They both have their pros and cons.

I’m not trying to discourage or sway you one way or another.

I’m not telling to go to something lile
A Vortex or Aerotech, or even the 870 for that matter…

The 570 gives you more room to grow your business from an ability standpoint.

The 370 is a great TM, it’s just a small TM…
In other walks of life I learned that it's often best to buy your second machine the first time. Seems to be quite true here. I want to get it right and I'm not very ideological about it all. Just takes time and patience to see things more clearly. I like your style and your advice rings true. Everyone's advice here has in some way. Different desires, different outfits, different people, different markets, etc.. I'm amazed at what I've learned in the past 3.5 months doing this. Surely another 6 months or so will give me better vision.

Don't worry about tracking the gas consumption I was just curious if the difference was massive, sounds like it isn't.

Back
Top Bottom