BIDDING 50K SQ FT VCT

Michael L

Name
Michael L
I WORK FOR A COMPANY OUT IN FLORIDA AND WE GENERALLY DO STRIP AND WAX JOBS BUT OF ALOT SMALLER PORTIONS. MOST OF OUR JOBS ARE 7500 SQ FT OR SMALLER AND WE TYPICALLY CHARGE .40-.50 CENTS A FOOT AS THAT IS THE GOING RATE AROUND HERE. THE OPPORTUNITY CAME UP TO BID ON A 50K SQ FT NURSING HOME AND ID HATE TO PASS IT. THEIR IS NO STRICT DEAD LINE AS IT WOULD BE DOING A FEW ROOMS AT A TIME UNTIL EVERYTHING IS COMPLETE. IVE NEVER BID ON JOBS OF THIS SIZE AND WONDERING HOW MUCH A SQUARE FOOT WOULD BE A GOOD START. KEEP IN MIND WE WOULD HAVE TO HELP SOME OF THE STAFF MOVE SOME THINGS OUT OF THE ROOMS AND THEN PLACE THEM IN ONCE COMPLETED. ALSO HAVING TO USE LOW ODOR CHEMICALS. I ALSO GOT OFFERED TO GET SUBCONTRACTED A JOB LAST SUMMER TO DO A 60K SQ FT SCHOOL AND THEY WERE TRYING TO PAY ME ABOUT .15 CENTS A FOOT TO PROVIDE THE LABOR, EQUIPMENT AND FLOOR STRIPPER.I DIDNT THINK THAT WAS ENOUGH CONSIDERING WE HAD TO EMPTY EVERY CLASSROOM AND THEN PUT FURNITURE BACK IN. JUST MAKES ME CURIOUS AS TO WHAT THE COMPANY THAT WAS SUBBING THE JOB OUT WAS MAKING OFF OF IT.

Michael L

Name
Michael L
a general idea of what to charge per square foot on jobs of this proportion if i typically charge 40-50 cents on jobs smaller then 7500sqft

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
If yoU are starving then bid it at .22 cents and have your guys working hard for a living.

If you want to make money bid it at .35 or higher but you more than likely won’t get tHe job. Still a chance it slim.

Reactions: Bruce Humphrey

Michael L

Name
Michael L
the way they want to schedule it and break it down it would take about 30 days or so to complete it

Michael L

Name
Michael L
if I'm supplying all the materials and we have to work around the nurses and assist in furniture moving doing it at .22 leaves me making nada

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
I’ve done million of square feet, you don’t have to tell me I know already.

One accident or incident for that matter that goes wrong and you will hate yourself.

Reactions: Bruce Humphrey

Michael L

Name
Michael L
what would you bid closer too? hell i don't want to go lower then .35 just for the hassle of the entire job itself but i have to at least bid. but if i don't get it no harm no foul

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
.40 cents and you should make a little but not much because having to spread it out over so many trips you might not make anything at all if you take more than 9 or so trips to complete the job as our labor will eat that .40 cents up quick plus all the waste of materials.

Michael L

Name
Michael L
yea i just submitted the bid and it was around .38 cents if I'm not mistaken. i feel a bit reassured that at least if i don't win the bid i was close to someone with a lot more experience ! i get 8/10 of my bids but I've never done a bid for a building thing size the closest was a 20k store that had drag marks from shoppings carts all up and through it. not much wax build up just filth bid that at 5k and never heard back, would have been over night too

Reactions: Mikey P
Name
Bruce
Last summer I bid on 50,000 sqft and wouldn't go below .50 because I knew it was going to take multiple trips and nights and it's always a pain in the ass working around Union workers.

Reactions: Michael L

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
but I've never done a bid for a building thing size

don't be intimidated by size
how do you eat an elephant? ....one bite at a time

You know what your production rates on rooms and large open areas for light, med and heavy build up are, right??
example; you know it takes "X" amount of time/labor/juice costs to do 10 doc office exam rooms (with and without moving stuff )
You know it takes "X" amount of time/labor/juice costs to do 5000sf of wide open retail floor space

you know how much you need/want to make

Simply break down mega jobs into smaller bites to calculate ....then add all the bites up...BAM! there's your number

..LT.A.

Name
Bruce
But did you get the bid?
We did get the job. We started doing small area's one night a week on VCT , we never got as far as stripping and waxing all the ceramic tile they wanted done :hopeless: Thank goodness. We never ended up doing all 50,000 sqft , but what we did do had to be re measured and price for each weekly job.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom