Big Daddy/MW320

Jerry

Supportive Member
Does anyone here own one or knows someone who does? They appear to be a straight forward machine, easy to work on,etc. The Big Daddy really seems like alot of bang for the buck.

packfancjh

Name
Chris Hagen
They are a bit overkill using a governed V8 motor. Only gets 190 degrees of heat unless you buy the OPTIONAL heat booster and is not emissioned so as it sits it is illegal according to EPA standards from what I'm told. Amongst other issues I've seen and heard.

AshleyMckendree

Supportive Member
Name
Ashley Mckendree
meAt said:
packfancjh said:
They are a bit overkill using a governed V8 motor.

wouldn't that also apply to every direct drive unit?

..L.T.A.

Direct drive units have lots of belts to slip before the power reaches the components, Id be surprised if more than 18HP is actually being channeled through the DD system.

So no, its not over-kill... its under-kill :|

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
packfancjh said:
IMO no because you have only one V8 in the vehicle that you are using not two.

I can dig that, Chris
i must of misunderstood when you said a V-8 was over kill.
imHo, DDs are WAY over kill given the fact the clutch is the weak link and only good for appx 30HP out of a gas guzzling Chevy van

personally, having the Tim 'the tool man" Allen syndrome, I'll admit that something about a small block Chevy to drive a slide-in appeals to me :mrgreen:

I'd venture a guess it doesn't use as much fuel as some large slide-ins do.(or all DDs)
and if we take the Bob "the tool man" Valter approach , he says he can squeeze it down to .8 GPH

I'd also think Anthony is right, that engine should last forfreekinever

footprint and weight in a "normal" cargo van would be my concerns

having said that, I don't know a thing about that particular TM and would defer to you and others who have some knowledge of whether it's a POS or not.

i just think the idea of a small block Chevy would be the raspberries for the "cool factor" :D

..L.T.A.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
AshleyMckendree said:
Direct drive units have lots of belts to slip before the power reaches the components, Id be surprised if more than 18HP is actually being channeled through the DD system.

So no, its not over-kill... its under-kill :|

I hear you Ash.
i "think" the clutches are good for about 30HP
But agree, what a waste to put wear and tear on a van engine for only 25-30 HP needs

..L.T.A.

Greenie

Ok..I'll say it...Overkill

It is a carpet cleaning machine, other than "I want something cool looking" taking up space in my van, we know far to much on how to better get "performance" from a more reasonable machine than to cater to either this or the Big Daddy design.

Just curious, before you give it the Thumbs Up, how many are out there? I don't know of ONE Big Daddy actually earning someone a living?

And...considering that "most" guys single wand, why would you haul that weight, and burn that fuel?

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Greenie said:
Just curious, before you give it the Thumbs Up, how many are out there?

for the record, I wasn't implying any kind of "thumbs up" on it.
Don't have a clue about it and IS about the "cool factor" with me.

Greenie said:
And...considering that "most" guys single wand, why would you haul that weight, and burn that fuel?

That's one i don't understand.
But i don't see it as much different than the dudes that buy BIG TMs now to single wand with 90% of the time.

"IF" there was a well designed TM w/small bock Chevy, I'd doubt it would use much more (if any more) fuel as any of big TMs on the market now.
(and probably less than all DDs cause you're not driving a drive shaft and all the other stuff hanging off a van engine)

Parts are cheap and available everywhere.
and there's no argument the SB Chevy is one of the best engines ever made.
So weight and space would be it's only draw back imHo

..L.T.A.

steve g

Name
steve garrett
Greenie said:
Ok..I'll say it...Overkill

It is a carpet cleaning machine, other than "I want something cool looking" taking up space in my van, we know far to much on how to better get "performance" from a more reasonable machine than to cater to either this or the Big Daddy design.

Just curious, before you give it the Thumbs Up, how many are out there? I don't know of ONE Big Daddy actually earning someone a living?

remember in a world of kittens a lion is born, :lol: butlers take up way too much room in the van and noone rips them. the same can be said about a lot of machines, if a guy just single wands, there are machines that are a much better idea, if the guy wants to dual wand, I say buy two machines that so he can do work in more than one location

Jerry

Supportive Member
I am just looking at the all around situation, the Big Daddy has a large blower,high pressure etc, similar to a Vortex or a DXT. I am sure it would have to go into a cube van or similar. I would want plenty of fresh/waste capacity, lots of room.
Seems like what you pay for it,it looks like a good value,simple to work on. just thinking outloud. It is funny that i never have heard of anyone using one though???

packfancjh

Name
Chris Hagen
It must say something about the performance when the creator didn't even have it outside for testing at connections.

Back
Top Bottom