Black hair dye and ink toner most difficult to remove

icleancarpetz

Name
Rafael Samson
Black hair dye and ink toner most difficult to remove. Often it makes a greater wider path when you apply whatever to make it go away.

A couple of years ago as I cleaned the last room to this ready to move in empty house and all was going well on this light beige carpet, I have no clue what was lurking hidden in the fibers, after giving it a few swipes of agitation with a swing machine. Bamo, smears of black ink toner or hair dye smearing all over the place. Never had this happen. It was not ink, ink removes. I reckon it was black hair dye or ink toner hidden that I didn’t see. Next thing you know, black smear all over the place. I was horrified to say the least. Bout the only time I ever sweat bullets. Weird. Stayed their an extra two hours trying to deal with this and couldn’t budge it maybe 5%? It was a lost. Threw everything at it but a kitchen sink. Maybe it was ink toner? Possible since I’ve seen printers on carpets in some homes.

Any success with hair dye or ink toner?

Heres a few picks:
3E291E09-1FC7-4B2D-B600-365BED08C78D.jpeg5FB4B903-F899-4A42-9AD9-879F2A3118FD.jpeg5267D9FF-C771-4060-A556-CF6D997FBB1F.jpeg7C935AA8-71A1-44D3-9BFA-96363F937F7F.jpeg

Last edited:

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
There are a variety of toner products. Some you can treat like inks. Some are set by heat. The printer heats the paper to set the toner in place. Your hot water can also set the toner in place. Good to know if you know in advance toner is present.

I do have an article on how to deal with toner and with hair dye, but the best option in many cases is the replacement patch.

Hack Attack

Name
Dan
I've never seen hair dye be spread by cleaning (its designed to stay put) ... thats an ugly mess :(

reminds me of the "raro bomb" we used to get here haven't seen one for loong time thankfully

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
So who is responsible for those hidden issues?
If it's truly a hidden issue and the carpet cleaner had no idea that it was there, the responsibility lies with the home owner. The carpet cleaner is going in to clean normal household soiling. If there is something abnormal about the job, the customer has to let the carpet cleaner know. Before you attempt something like that, have the customer sign a waiver releasing you from any responsibility.

icleancarpetz

Name
Rafael Samson
So who is responsible for those hidden issues?

For me it was a empty house just sold to new owners. Was hired by the seller through a realtor and got paid from the sell of the house through the sellers attorney. called up the realtor and told him there must have been hair dye hidden within the carpet. At walk through buyers, inspector nor realtors or myself didnt see anything on the carpet. Looked normal. In fact it was cleanest room. Fortunately i was able to pass the buck on the technicality that previous owners must have used that particular room as either an office with printer on the floor or hair dye.
Got paid the same. Settlement was scheduled for the following day after cleaning. So seller had no choice but to pay me full price and probably give the buyers an allowance for that room.

If it happened on a regular cleaning, i would not charge for that room but would not allow to be blamed either. Most homeowners know whats on their carpet or at the least help them to back track as to what they did or allowed in that room that caused the problem. At least with the honest homeowners.

sassyotto

Name
Paul
I dont think it would be hair dye since it would have long dried and stayed in place. And cleaning would not cause it to migrate.

However while we are on the subject I did find a possible solution for hair dye I found. The only reason I found it is because I have a job where the woman has black hair dye in her carpet and I said I would find out what I could. I will be going there on Friday to see if it works and report the outcome. Heres the solution

2 parts 40 vol creme from Sally's 1 part industrial strength ammonia from Ace. Mix in squeezable tube. Dab onto concentrated dye spots. Vapor steamer is best but a wet rag and iron will work if you check every 20 seconds. I prefer creme on hair dye because it's easier to target small dark spots

icleancarpetz

Name
Rafael Samson
I dont think it would be hair dye since it would have long dried and stayed in place. And cleaning would not cause it to migrate

I did a job last week where the fella homeowner had a few dime size black hair dye he spilled on his carpet about 4 weeks ago. i put my gloved finger in it and amazingly the dye was still wet. So my conclusion of hair dye drying fast is not always the case with all hair dye products.

Black Shoe polish is another tuffy to remove.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom