Blower filter cleaning, how often?

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
I have 2 cylinder blower filters in my waste tank. Cleanco says to clean them daily. I run a Devastator in line filter. I thought I read or saw somewhere that I could just about forget about cleaning my waste filters out. That doesn't seem to be the case with me. I can begin to hear my vac release leaking air if I don't clean them, probably every other day. Does this sound normal? Has anyone removed these to increase CFM? I'm definitely not trying to ruin a perfectly good blower.

Name
Nate W.
I'd just run the nylon stocking over the filter. Maybe pull them every other day. Running without a blower filter is kind of dangerous. I tend to be safer than sorry.

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
Depends on how much dog hair I run into.

I keep a extra clean one in the truck too : )

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
Not sure what it is but I have to clean those cylinder filters every few days, even while using the Devastator. My suction will suffer and I can hear air going through the vacuum release (or somewhere). Cleanco says to clean them out daily but it's a bit of a chore, even less fun in Winter.

I just wanted to get some feedback because maybe there's something I'm not thinking of?

The "screen" that makes up my cylinder filters is incredibly fine. I'm imagining there's a considerable amount of fine soil that gets through the Devastator. Maybe I'll try a different brand of paint strainer for the Devastator. I've been ordering a brand called Trimarco (I think) but maybe there's another brand with smaller holes?

Name
Marcus
Cleaning those filters probably hasa lot to do with size of the blower and the size of the engine and
If you are running rpms full throttle....
I should clean mine more often...
I do clean my external filter on every job and some large jobs twice...
I have a 33 hp with 4.5 blower and a 30 hp with a 4.5 blower..run both full throttle
The 33 hp needs cleaning more...
Probably every 10 -15 hours??
Do not run without a filter it will clog your blower and you will hafta replace...no fun
Ran mine. With a rx20 without a external filter and had to replace a new blower when I first started
Cap

Reactions: Russ T.
Name
BradFenstermaker
Russ for $1.06 at the Dollar General grab some Queen "Big Girl" knee highs. Place 1 or 2 over each blower filter. I did this on mine when I had blower filters. Jim Martin also used to and may still do this.
Just experiment with it. Just don't give them to the wife if you don't use them. They never like hubby's buying Queen size stuff.

You could try a knee high inside the devastor if it will fit. They get pretty big, sure you've seen some stretched out at Walmart walking around.

My TNT does not have a filter.

With my pool filter I checked my Vortex every couple weeks. And after each hairy job. It had the 59 blower

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
I still put them over mine...I ran that vortex for 4.5 years and one of the first things I did was buy new blower filters...covered them with knee high nylons and never once pulled them out to clean them....Filters still looked new when I sold it and all I did was replace the nylon once a week

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
Doesn't the nylon restrict flow even further? Just makes cleaning it easier?

I'm not sure how big my filters are. There are 2 of them and my blower is the 47.

They never look bad at all but I think they begin to restrict flow after 2 average days. I hose them off and the van sucks great again.

I appreciate the help guys.

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
I still put them over mine...I ran that vortex for 4.5 years and one of the first things I did was buy new blower filters...covered them with knee high nylons and never once pulled them out to clean them....Filters still looked new when I sold it and all I did was replace the nylon once a week

Jim, would you recommend one of Cobb's less restrictive filters? Is that what you did with your Vortex?

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
Larry,
I'm running a '10 Cleanco Compact 47. Do you know which filters it calls for?

Jim Morrison

Name
jim
Hi Russ, I have the same setup as you minus the Devastator filter. Never noticed any considerable loss of vacuum from the blower filters getting jammed up. I usually clean mine when I'm flushing out the waste tank, daily or every second day.

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
I think the Cleancos have very fine stock filters. My vac is great, IF I rinse those filters every other day.

Name
BradFenstermaker
Russ those knee highs are great. Sneak some from the wife's stash.

Stretch em out over your head. Do not rob no body! They breathe awesome.

Just spend the $1 for a test drive. I only hose my pool filter like every 3-5 days. Just pull the knee high out, throw new one in.

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
The key here, to the "less" experienced, is "Knee highs" and waist high pantyhose in the pre filter box. My trash collector gotta wonder why the hell there's 20 pair of kneehighs/pantyhose in my trash every week. The pantyhose can get a little expensive if you do a lot of rat nastys, even after pre-vaccing. I change them out on every job....sometimes twice. I noticed that the Thermalwave Vortec has a........deeper, higher lift vac by the more lint I'm collecting, than the Genesis.

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
I don't want to have to clean out the prefilter box so I use the Devastator which holds a lot without suffering too much vac loss. When it gets full, I pitch it and throw in another paint filter.

I think I'll go shopping for panty hose tomorrow!

Able 1

Name
Keith
Maybe, just poor waste tank design.. I go a month or so and I haven't had any problems.. I also don't run any filters(except for the blower).

Vivers

Supportive Member
Name
Bill
I hardly ever clean these but I also do run the devastator with both the green and the white filter inserted. I have a Prochem Apex and maybe I should look at that filter a little more but my vacuum is super strong. I'll check tomorrow.

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
I don't ever remember having to hose those things off with such regularity. I'm throwing panty hose over them tomorrow to see if that helps. I might check into the ones that Larry posted too.

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
Name
Nate W.
Russ those knee highs are great. Sneak some from the wife's stash.

Stretch em out over your head. Do not rob no body! They breathe awesome.

Just spend the $1 for a test drive. I only hose my pool filter like every 3-5 days. Just pull the knee high out, throw new one in.

I hope you grab the clean ones, not like GCLEE putting the used ones over his head.... :eekk:

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Larry, do you know which ones would fit my Cleanco 47, there's 2 of them.

Thanks

Russ;

I don't know which of the 3 filters fit the Cleanco 47 . . .

but just measure one to determine the proper size.

Inlet is 2" , 2.5" or 3" Female Pipe thread . . .

and length is either 9.75" or 12.5" .

Larry

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom