Bowl of hot soup????

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Bowl of hot soup????

How many times have you seen a light fixture full of steaming hot water? It's crazy when it happens but on multi-floor losses it's pretty common. This is one from a loss we had today, elderly lady forgot and left the faucet running in the master bath. It wet the bath, the bedroom and hall and part of the living room on the main level. the went down though the HVAC vents and ceiling and flooded a family room, hall and bedroom as well as unfinished concrete area.

2013-02-06_14-34-00_164_zps3bf08fdc.jpg

2013-02-06_14-40-21_793_zps5b0e9803.jpg

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Over 30 years ago I lived in a townhouse and all the light fixtures filled with water like that every time it rained.

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
Had water dripping in on the Main back last year. Kicked a couple breakers. Powerboard Buddy fixed it fur free!

How many boiled bugs Doc ?

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
I always freak out when I see that, especially when the water is flowing OUT of the fixtures. I have this great fear of getting shocked, or a fire starting.

Connor

Name
Connor
I had one like that in November, rental house and the ladies adult daughter stopped up the toilet and kept flushing it in a panic hoping it would go down. Let's just say she made a bad decision.

Water ran down into the lights down below, so she called 911 thinking the place would explode, fire department had the power company pull the meter "for safety". So, after this, the power company said they wouldn't re-set the meter until the county electrical inspector did an inspection. All of this happened at 5:00 pm on a Friday, so there wasn't a code official to inspect until Monday.

Richard, how do you handle water in fixtures like that, do you require an electrician to check everything?

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Chris, we just do mitigation no reconstruction, we do pass that info on to the reconstruction company handling the job.

My guess is they replace the fixture. ?? I would if it were sitting long enough to get all crusty with mineral deposits and or debris.

If was just slightly wet, we would drop it down from the ceiling and make sure it was dried and I'd have no problem with it.

So really no hard and fast rule, depends mostly on time and the amount of water that flowed though it. In this case we know it sat at least two days, she was waiting for her adjuster to come out, they said get two estimates, once we saw it we suggested we get on it but she didn't want us there that evening or into the night. We returned the following day. The delay of two days cost the carpet and bleeding of some rugs on the main floor.

The tape had broke in the ceiling drywall and so we cut down the main section and dried the cavity and subfloor. My guess is they will pull the whole ceiling. Construction company's when slow, just replace far more than they should. : (

Last edited by a moderator:

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
The tape had broke in the ceiling drywall and so we cut down the main section and dried the cavity and subfloor. My guess is they will pull the whole ceiling. Construction company's when slow, just replace far more than they should. : (

AIn't that the truth! "We need to take the whole ceiling to get a better finished product". Or they want to remove a whole wall, instead of just the affected material. :hopeless:

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
As tight as insurance company's are you would would think they would be wise to that crap. We can save them so much vs replacement.

We push the "conflict of interest" against our full service competitors. :smile:

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
Right on Doc.If your scared you can always flip the switch huh, lol

Connor

Name
Connor
AIn't that the truth! "We need to take the whole ceiling to get a better finished product". Or they want to remove a whole wall, instead of just the affected material. :hopeless:

Drywall is cheap and the insurance companies money needs to get spent. After Hurricane Katrina, many insurance companies denied claims based upon loopholes, like the wind is what ruined your house, not the eleven feet of water, so your claim is denied. I've seen some adjusters go all out on a restoration and other times, just want kilz encapsulation and paint baseboards.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom