Box truck owners

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
I'm in the market for another vehicle. Currently we have a Savanna 2500 5.7l, the van is jam packed w/ equipment n being "Mikey's" height, it's a pain to get in/out from. I'm considering making the new truck a 2nd cleaning truck/restoration. Was looking @ the new Nissan 2500-3500 high roof or a 06-07 NPR's. They're both about the same price range. I'm not mechanically inclined and spent about 3-4 times what I paid for the Savannah @ different mechanic shops, as the reason I was considering just going w/a brand new instead of preowned, just don't want to have to go thru all that aggravation again.

The main question would be (and this might've been brought up before so forgive me), should I look for a gas or diesel NPR and what size box do you currently own? The ones I keep saying are 14-16 footers, would the 16 footer be too long? I'm in a "flat land" hardly any hills or high elevations (no mountains here).
Thanks,
Bill

joe harper

Name
joe harper
I might be PERSUADED to let this lil gurl go the DC....For the right #... :idea:

DSC00031-1.jpg

DSC06713.jpg

HARPERPIC312-1.jpg

Joey_Dorkboy3.jpg

I will warranty IT..... :shock:

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
You're trucks are all very nice, but since you told us the idea of getting a crew cab, I kinda like the idea of that, looked @ one, but it looks like it will extend to 18-20 feet if you include the box and crew cab length, am I correct? I have driven a 14 footer and sure drove great (turning radius was way nicer than the cargo vans too).

joe harper

Name
joe harper
This is a 14ft...NPR 06 deisel...

The CREW cab went by the wayside with STICKER SHOCK of about 45.K..cab & chassie ONLY!!!!

Bob Foster

16 is too long. 14 is OK but with the right set up a 12 will work great. I am going from a 14 and have bought a 12.

Look at some of the stripped out packages from Hackney. They come in different lengths and heights and were designed for use in a residential environment for trades people. They also have a low deck allowing for easy removal of heavier equipment like Cimex's or RXs.

Hackney have been around production literally since horse drawing days.

They have an attractive price. Get the box truck and then build out the inside yourself. Don't be fooled buy some of the pictures and think they're too tall or too long. They make all sizes and look only at the cab overs and not the cutaways.

http://www.hackneyplumbing.com/products/plumb_p2000.php
http://www.hackneyplumbing.com/inventory.php

If I was going to buy a new hackney I would buy one with a 12 foot box and an overall height of 9 feet with swing out rear doors. That would allow you to stand up and walk through the truck. I would also go to the 7 foot wide box rather than the standard width of most box trucks which is 8 feet. If you go the narrow box then you need to do a side reel and TM mount with a roll up side door. Swing out side doors are OK. The reason for not going roll up door on the rear is so you can keep your working ceiling height lower and still stand up and not have a box that would bring the truck to an overall height of 10 feet. This makes a big difference in residential access and fuel economy. A standard truck (with out a slide-out ramp that slides out from between the frame rails) it is usually around 10' over all. Slide out ramps normally cause the builder to put the box on a high profile sleepers (sub frame) to accommodate the slide out thus raising the overall height of the truck up.

Check the GVW of the vehicle as some C/Os have surprisingly low rear axle GVW's.

Joe's truck would be a good one to buy and worth seriously considering.

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
HARPER said:
The CREW cab went by the wayside with STICKER SHOCK of about 45.K..cab & chassie ONLY!!!!

I saw that as well.

Bob,
thanks for the links.

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
Bob Foster said:
If you are going to run a dual wand setup you need to go to a 14'.

Bob, the box truck will be stocked up with restoration equipment for those "last min calls", everything is ready to go, but will still be able to do CC on the days w/out wd work. My current van now, for large WD jobs, we sometimes have to do 2-4 trips to pick up equipment since the van is already jammed up w/ other equipment.

Bob Foster

The 12 foot proportions are exactly right in this picture. That's what a pro's rig in this business could look like.

nicebox.jpg

Chris A

Name
Chris
What's one of those hackneys cost? I heard they were pretty spendy...

joe harper

Name
joe harper
OOPs....... it is a 12ft box... :oops:

We line up w/d equipment in the alley ways...When the call comes...!!!!

Dehues & blowers fit very nicely....

There is a LOT of room between the TM & Chem rack also... :idea:

HARPERPIC312-1.jpg

joe harper

Name
joe harper
Youz..suMs-a-bItcHes..."do NOT get Bob started on building a box truck".... :evil:

"It is like ViaGaRa to him..!!!!!!"

He will have to go to the hOspItAl for an EreCtiOn.....that has lasted more than 4 HOURS. :lol:

Bob Foster

tmdry said:
Bob Foster said:
If you are going to run a dual wand setup you need to go to a 14'.

Bob, the box truck will be stocked up with restoration equipment for those "last min calls", everything is ready to go, but will still be able to do CC on the days w/out wd work. My current van now, for large WD jobs, we sometimes have to do 2-4 trips to pick up equipment since the van is already jammed up w/ other equipment.

There are a few ways you can go. Go with a standard 96 or 90 width and if only on demand you carry the dry out equipment you can stow it down the center isle of the truck. And in the circumstance a 12' will work fine. The center isle works well for going back in forth in the truck and on a 12 foot if you go the 98 width (most box trucks are a standard 96) box truck width you don't need a side door if you use back rigged (hose and reel) If you go a side rigged unit you won't get full length lay down area for larger area rugs any way so you might as well have a 90 or 84 wide box.

If you do a lot of restoration and intend on keeping a couple of 1200's or 2400's and fans permanently on board then a 12 won't be big enough and would recommend a 14 and rack some of the fans and dehums because it sounds like they would permanently be on the truck. As Richard C about rigging flood trucks.

Having the narrower width of 90 or slightly less is really nice for visibility and bushy driveways. I wish this one I was getting was narrower but its a standard 96.

Having said all I have about box trucks I really like the 3500 with the long 170". I really don't care for Sprinter Box trucks

sprinter.jpg

sprinteotnerside-1.jpg

bluesprinter.jpg

sprinterinterior.jpg

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
Bob Foster said:
tmdry said:
[quote="Bob Foster":lhnj8p9i]If you are going to run a dual wand setup you need to go to a 14'.

There are a few ways you can go. Go with a standard 96 or 90 width and if only on demand you carry the dry out equipment you can stow it down the center isle of the truck. And in the circumstance a 12' will work fine. The center isle works well for going back in forth in the truck and on a 12 foot if you go the 98 width (most box trucks are a standard 96) box truck width you don't need a side door if you use back rigged (hose and reel) If you go a side rigged unit you won't get full length lay down area for larger area rugs any way so you might as well have a 90 or 84 wide box.

If you do a lot of restoration and intend on keeping a couple of 1200's or 2400's and fans permanently on board then a 12 won't be big enough and would recommend a 14 and rack some of the fans and dehums because it sounds like they would permanently be on the truck. As Richard C about rigging flood trucks.

Having the narrower width of 90 or slightly less is really nice for visibility and bushy driveways. I wish this one I was getting was narrower but its a standard 96.

Having said all I have about box trucks I really like the 3500 with the long 170". I really don't care for Sprinter Box trucks

sprinter.jpg

sprinteotnerside-1.jpg

bluesprinter.jpg

sprinterinterior.jpg
[/quote:lhnj8p9i]

Sprinters are designed in Europe for ox-cart paths. Besides looking dorky, why would anyone want to be penalized by a narrow width on American roads?

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
DOnt do WDR stuff, but i have lots of equipment for stripping floors....

LOVE my 16'.....

with that said when the time comes I think i am going back to a TRuck Trailer combo....I just need the option of a 2nd vehicle + truck for around house stuff....and in order to keep over head down, dont want a 3rd vehicle...

but it will be no shorter then 14, and probably 16-18

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Most of ours are 14-16-footers, you can never have too much space.

96-inches wide as Bob suggested and 78 inches high I like the roll up back door and dual swing out for the side with translucent top.

You can get quite a bit in them, they had 5-Cimex's for a commercial job in there and didn't unload the drying equipment. (22-airmovers, 3-Drizair 2000's)

Gas is a pig, but in the large area you service I think it would be worth giving up a few bucks in gas for the convenience and time saved in multiple trips to your shop. :?:

Here is the link to Supreme, they have a plants across the country, looks like the one in PA would be closest to you.

http://www.supremecorp.com/supreme.php? ... &product=7

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom