Boxxer is down AGAIN - any ideas

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
A half hour test run went fine. Fuse didn't blow. I'm wondering I'd my apo or freshy pump was drawing too much? Wont be running either until I get it figured out.

Old fuse housing.
aru5ased.jpg

thats NOT a blow fuse...that is a melt down due to 12 volts going to a direct ground..............don't expect your new one to last.....what ever caused this will happen again sooner or later unless you find the source.........

Last edited:
Reactions: dealtimeman

Blue Monarch

Supportive Member
Name
Dirk Wingrove
I don't disagree....but I need to work as much as I can for now. I will continue to check things out

Name
BradFenstermaker
Grab a few more fuse able links for in the field repair.

Propane is not that bad compared to my Kero experience. Burns clean and I get all the heat I need.

Only thing I need is the heavy duty Heater coil.

Don't get too relaxed running TM until you find that ground prob. Check the van often while cleaning for Smoke. LOL

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
Dirk,

A fuseholder melted like that is usually not due to a short in the wiring. A dead short just pops the fuse instantly without damaging the fuseholder. This kind of damage typically is caused when the contacts get corroded, and develop high resistance. Then the heavy current through the poor contacts generate heat. I doubt you will find any other problems, but it's good to check everything.

Although few people do it, it's actually a good thing to put fuses in and out of their holders two or three times a couple times a year. This scrapes off the corrosion and cleans the contacts.

And to Larry's suggestion, it's pretty hard to find a multimeter that will measure 30A directly.

By the way Larr - what's step 2?

Now, that more info has been shown,

1. Check the current draw of the item the fuse protects with a reliable meter.

3. It should be less than the original fuse amperage.

Larry

Last edited:

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Dirk,

A fuseholder melted like that is usually not due to a short in the wiring. A dead short just pops the fuse instantly without damaging the fuseholder. This kind of damage typically is caused when the contacts get corroded, and develop high resistance. Then the heavy current through the poor contacts generate heat. I doubt you will find any other problems, but it's good to check everything.

Although few people do it, it's actually a good thing to put fuses in and out of their holders two or three times a couple times a year. This scrapes off the corrosion and cleans the contacts.

And to Larry's suggestion, it's pretty hard to find a multimeter that will measure 30A directly.

By the way Larr - what's step 2?

Good analysis on the corroded fuseholder.

Step 2 - Censored by Mikey

This is similar to the AC/DC meter I use:

http://www.extech.com/instruments/product.asp?catid=26&prodid=77

Don't even have to unhook any wires.

Larry

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
Amprobe is pretty common diagnostic tool.

I have a Fluke 336 which does do DC, but it seems uncommon to see one, at least around here. Most of the folks that have Amprobes seem to have AC-only models. I doubt Dirk has one.

But I agree, if you're going to work on your own TM, it would be a nice tool to have.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
Nope, that kinda stuff is above my pay grade

90% of the people out there think that machines are complicated as it is.......put a meter in there hands and let me know what happens......

I don't think this is a resistance problem...resistance normally has heavy melting before the fuse blows.......this is chard....

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
Jim, what Dirk said earlier was the tipoff - it would work for a while then quit - then work. This would indicate that current was below 30A, not blowing the fuse, but the holder had melted to the point the contacts were intermittent.

He said the fuse was "toast" but it simply could have melted (plastic-wise) along with the holder.....

I've seen and experienced this several times, always in a high-current circuit (20-30A) where the fuse had not been touched for a long time.

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
Just keep watching it and I would take a few moments to check the wires on the right side of the machine where you did that plumbing repair as a wire may have rubbed through during your repair on that manifold.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

curt johnson

Name
Curt Johnson
Dirk, congrats on purchasing the gently used Chemtex Panther 15. I really don't think 3500 hours is too much for a unit like that. Plenty of heat and vac, even with the longer hose runs you spoke about using.

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
Easy on the Panther jokes guys... I can't even seem to sell my young one. Maybe it's time to put it in a trailer?

The Clean Machine

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
Just keep watching it and I would take a few moments to check the wires on the right side of the machine where you did that plumbing repair as a wire may have rubbed through during your repair on that manifold.
Yep. Wires get pushed out of the way and forgotten about. They have their way of reminding us.

Gene

Becker

Name
Becker
Glad you found the problem. I've had similar issues on older cars, boats. I think even my old hydramaster.

You should be good to go fir another 10 years.

We've got no room for boring.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom