Brain tricks to make your customers buy.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Would you mind cutting and pasting the article along with the link?

I get skeered clickin s !gotcha! ometimes.

Connor

Name
Connor
Roger Dooley wants your business to succeed. So he's laying down the facts and dissecting recent brain and behavior research to enable you to tap into consumers' brains.

Fact No. 1: People aren't always rational thinkers. In truth, research shows that a huge amount of decision-making is actually based on subconscious factors.

In both his new book, Brainfluence, and in a recent interview, Dooley offered several ways to use "neuromarketing" to do a better job persuading consumers.
1. Clean Up Your Font

Are you using a stylish, elegant font on your signage? It's time to dump it.

A study shows that more ornate fonts make people assume a task to be more time-consuming than when the same task is explained in a clearer font. This could make your products or services seem slow or even tedious--and no one wants a purchase that'll take forever to assemble or start using.

"Probably nine times out of 10 the simpler font is going to be the better choice," Dooley says, "because the text will be more likely to be read, for one, and you'll better convey information."

Bottom line: Go easy on consumers' eyes; use a clear, easy-to-read font such as Arial, for product and service descriptions as well as any instructions.
2. Don't Show Them the Money

A restaurant currency study showed that patrons tended to be more price-conscious when dollar signs appeared alongside the prices on menus. If there was just a solo digit, by contrast—no dollar symbol, no decimal point—then spending went up.

"When people see a currency symbol like a dollar sign or a euro symbol, that … activates a part of the brain that can sometimes help the marketer, but often not," Dooley says.

Bottom line: If you're a restaurateur, take dollar signs off the menu to increase your sales.
3. Remember the Senses

Customer transactions are about more than facts and figures. Getting smart about sensory appeal can also help a brick-and-mortar business.

Look for environmental elements that you can control, like pleasant scents—even if your products don't naturally have a smell. "You can create a scent environment that is pleasant, memorable, and distinctive that reinforces your branding," Dooley says. "The scent will then trigger consumers' senses and create a desire for that [the product or service]." Tests have shown that scents in shopping areas can increase sales.

And don't overlook the music, which can also affect customers' buying decisions. One test, for instance, found that when a wine shop played French or German music, it increased sales of wine from that country.

Bottom line: Find creative ways to tempt customers' senses.
4. Respond to Customers

Nobody likes being ignored—so make sure you can provide real feedback to social media messages and posts.

Dooley cites one study that looked at people who complained via social media about a company or its products. When they got a prompt response—even if it wasn’t an actual apology—the majority of customers either removed their negative comment or revised it with a positive addendum. So take a minute to acknowledge what was said; it's worth your time.

The customer doesn't need to be right every time, Dooley acknowledges: "But you'll almost never score points when arguing with a customer. You may win the argument, but you'll lose the customer."

Bottom line: Keep your cool and respond to customers promptly.
5. Tell a Good Story

Statistics are great. But you need people to pay attention to your numbers to help drive sales. Our brains are wired to process stories in a more engaged way, Dooley says: Brain scan work shows that when people read a story with a lot of action elements, their brains actually mimic the motions.

So whether you're citing case studies or designing ads or other promotions, draw customers in by weaving facts and favorable information into a story format. A great story can engage customers on a deeper level; this also increases word-of-mouth marketing. "In general some of your information should be in a story format to keep your reader engaged," Dooley says, "because if it's all facts and all statistics, you'll lose a lot of your audience."

Bottom line: Turn percentages and figures into a good tale to capture—and keep—your customers' attention.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
For in-home sales the key to sales is simply to ask the right questions to get your desired result.

For instance:

Wouldn't you like your carpet to last longer?

Are you familiar with carpet protectors? (Explain benefits)

Would you like to save money? I could clean those 2 bedrooms while i'm here and it would be cheaper than a return trip.

Did you know that we also clean upholstery......? I'll do a soil test for you....

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Brian R said:
Just ask them if they want it Scotchgarded..... You can't beat that brand recognition.

Asking if they want something (Like Scotchgard) before you FIRST explain the benefits and answer a question or two that the client may have .

Is lame salesmanship.

I expected more from you Brian. :roll:

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Ok, let me esplain.

If you try to tell them too much about what it does or why it does it... You COULD say the wrong thing and they might shy away from it.

Everyone knows Scotchgard is a good thing... It protects etc etc etc.

That's all they need to know or should know.

That's why they will buy it...Scotchgard has done all the selling/marketing for us.

If they don't want it, nothing you say will get them to change their mind. (Notice I said "you"... Now "Me" is a different story. !gotcha! :mrgreen: )

Connor

Name
Connor
Geez, you girls should argue via PM and not crap up my thread.

Connor

Name
Connor
Brian R said:
Yes dear.

Why don't you put your big girl panties on and just deal with it?

Cos they impair my vision when I'm trying to type.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
I try to add some sales tips that will make money for the guys here and you girls just want to walk around with your panties on your heads.

Connor

Name
Connor
Royal Man said:
I try to add some sales tips that will make money for the guys here and you girls just want to walk around with your panties on your heads.

Hey, I was playing spiderman.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
underoos?

WA_underoos.jpg

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
O" I thought it said BRIAN tips instead of BRAIN tips to make customers buy..

Sublimital advertising? Bribes? Voodoo? Gun to head? Break down their will with endless posts?

nsidla

on 2)...I feel like it's really controversial pending what industry you're in, do most of you guys openly advertise prices for jobs etc ?

For restaurants I feel like unless you're really looking to show a great value showing prices is a bad idea, especially drinks/beer...always gets me.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom