Brown grout color accidentally removed--need help!

Name
Steve Lawrence
Hi all,

I have an issue where our carpet cleaners got some carpet preconditioner (detergent) on some brown grout in a ceramic tile foyer. We initially thought it was detergent residue but when trying to clean it we just removed more of the brown grout color. Now there's an even bigger area with the color removed. It seems to me that the color was not very deep in the grout and was easily removed as we noticed some other areas on the grout that were somewhat lighter, too, but not our doing.

Any suggestions for a remedy to get all the grout a uniform brown color again?

Thanks a ton!

Steve

joe harper

Name
joe harper
Steve Lawrence said:
Hi all,

I have an issue where our carpet cleaners got some carpet preconditioner (detergent) on some brown grout in a ceramic tile foyer. We initially thought it was detergent residue but when trying to clean it we just removed more of the brown grout color. Now there's an even bigger area with the color removed. It seems to me that the color was not very deep in the grout and was easily removed as we noticed some other areas on the grout that were somewhat lighter, too, but not our doing.

Any suggestions for a remedy to get all the grout a uniform brown color again?

Thanks a ton!

Steve

Steve...Pic would be nice...

The grout "may" just be that DIRTY..."You may be "seeing" the original color..."

If it is "just a FOYER...Clean the entire foyer.. :idea:

If the color "has" been removed...?

Call a competitor that is "skilled in "Grout Perfect"... :!:

Mikey P

Administrator
First guess was that it was color sealed at some point.

Find the exact brand and color and then call Grout Perfect.

Go to Home Depot and get a Custom/Polyblend chart and maybe a couple of tile only stores and get charts from the brands they sell as well.

Plastic chip "charts" are much easier to use than paper version.

tim

prespray wont take off colorseal that has been applied even remotely well! Any color sealer should be able to withstand a alkaline solution of 9-11! Especially without scrubbing with a brush! I wouldnt feel responsible for resealing it unless you cleaned the carpet with stripper! :shock:

TimP

tim said:
prespray wont take off colorseal that has been applied even remotely well! Any color sealer should be able to withstand a alkaline solution of 9-11! Especially without scrubbing with a brush! I wouldnt feel responsible for resealing it unless you cleaned the carpet with stripper! :shock:

I was thinking the same thing.

It probably is just dirt.

Wandslinger

Name
Tom Meyer
It's not so much the PH but possibly the PSI he used. Easy fix with recoloring it and you don't need a professional to look at. The job is probably too small for him anyway. Like Mikey said, just find the color and order the product. I love Grout Perfect because of how easy it is to use but you get sucked into buying two pints for around $80.00, when all said and done. That's okay if you need bone or quartz, but brown...highly unlikely and a waste of product. I've also used color seal from http://groutsealerdirect.com/sealers.html. They only require you to buy one pint and it is very comparable.

TimP

Tom Meyer said:
It's not so much the PH but possibly the PSI he used. Easy fix with recoloring it and you don't need a professional to look at. The job is probably too small for him anyway. Like Mikey said, just find the color and order the product. I love Grout Perfect because of how easy it is to use but you get sucked into buying two pints for around $80.00, when all said and done. That's okay if you need bone or quartz, but brown...highly unlikely and a waste of product. I've also used color seal from http://groutsealerdirect.com/sealers.html. They only require you to buy one pint and it is very comparable.

PSI settings for cleaning carpet doesn't remove color seal unless it's a very very very shoddy color seal application. Like I said before it's most likely to be dirt. Also a customer would know if they had the color changed because it's something that isn't cheap to do. I did one job cleaning tile where the company who put down the tile grouted with the wrong color and color sealed. We figured it out because the grout wouldn't come clean and it was two different colors not to mention splotchy. They then remembered what happened and was ok with it as long as their floor was clean. I offered to color seal it but they didn't care about the grout color at that point to pay for it to be done cause they knew before hand. The truth is they will known if they had it color sealed unless they purchased after the flooring was done. So I can say it's 90%+ chance that it's dirt that is covering the true grout color based on experience with color seal. It just don't come off that easily.

Pics would be wonderful because it's hard to say 100% for sure unless we can see what's going on.

Chriswa

My bets are on dirt, grout can get uniformly dirty so that it looks like the original color

Back
Top Bottom