browning on area rug

lust1kiddo

Supportive Member
surface cleaned an area rug in a clients home on Monday. I gave a call Tuesday to follow up and no reply. Today I get a call and from what he describes, there is browning on the rug. Its made of cotton and bamboo i think. Maybe from overwetting ?. How do I fix it? He says it looks like light brown or tan stains.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Jared without seeing it, I would just be guessing that it is browning.

Natural fibers will brown out for several different reasons, as you mentioned over wetting, high ph, slow drying, water in general on unprocessed cotton can brown from the seeds and junk in the fabric.

As far as correcting it could as easy as spraying a browning treatment down and rinsing or padding it off.

However proceed with caution! Browning treatments can lighten or dull colors leaving you with a bleached look.

If it's bad maybe bring the rug home with you where you have time to experiment with the right solutions.

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
Doc Holliday said:
Jared without seeing it, I would just be guessing that it is browning.

Natural fibers will brown out for several different reasons, as you mentioned over wetting, high ph, slow drying, water in general on unprocessed cotton can brown from the seeds and junk in the fabric.

As far as correcting it could as easy as spraying a browning treatment down and rinsing or padding it off.

However proceed with caution! Browning treatments can lighten or dull colors leaving you with a bleached look.

If it's bad maybe bring the rug home with you where you have time to experiment with the right solutions.

Exactaly- probably can not fix in the customers home at this point. If there is a full service rug shop near you, sub out the fix or you may own it.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Depending on the cause and fabric, sometime just re-cleaning (wetting) and letting it dry flat, upside down, will solve the problem. The browning will migrate to the backing.

Other times using a mild reducer (Haitian cotton/white cotton cleaners mixed at a much reduced ratio) will do well. It can be buffed or just sprayed on depending on specific fabric.

There are other methods, again, all depending on fabric and cause.

rhyde

Name
rhyde
Sounds like browning but it could be soil or adhesive wicking ? If browning a souring product or Rx for browning apply to rug then pad it with a new pad and speed dry with air movers should fix it.

Mikey P

Administrator
Didn't this guy attend the Lisa and Jim Rugfag class?

ID skills were not touched on?

POS tufteds, synthetics and thick and modern colorfast thick wools are the only thing I would touch in the home

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom