Browning on wool photos

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
What browning conditions would indicate the use of a product like Fabset, as opposed to a Sodium Bisulfate product?

How does each one treat browning differently?

Harry Myers

Name
Harry Myers
That's a great question. What I did was take it to a safe area of caution. If I needed to go more extreme which I did I used the citric. For me it was mild to what it takes. I did not have to go that route. I've done wool and linens that were just tough but they also turned out great.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Citric supposedly will cause fast re-soiling due to residue. Be interesting to see how the rug will perform after a while, soiling wise.
Fabset is a different acid. Scott?

Harry, did you try spraying with the acid and letting the carpet dry upside down, so that it will wick back into the backing?

Frank, I would guess that just spraying with a relatively mild acid like Fabset is less likely to cause permanent color change and or damage to the wool, as may be caused by sodium bisulfite or other sulfites.

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
Fabset is a specific acid. Cellulosic browning is less likely with acid. An acid like Fab-Set can clean away mild cellulosic browning and keep it from returning. Drying upside down to prevent wicking to the surface is good additional insurance.

Citric acid acts as a booster to the different type of acid in the Fabset. Large amounts of citric acid could lead to resoiling. Citric acid attracts moisture. So, it humid conditions it keeps the rug slightly damp (Not enough to feel but enough to measure). This dampness is what attracts soil. Small amounts of citric acid are so diluted it is not really make any significant difference.

Sodium bisulfite products are mild reducing bleaches that hide the browning.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom