Building Long Term Business Relationships

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Long-Lasting Business Relationships Are Valuable!
by Lee Pemberton - eCleanAdvisor
The most effective way you can build long-lasting business relationships is to actively participate in local or online groups or communities that your prospects and customers are involved in.
Long-Lasting Business Relationships Are Valuable!

You will need to learn how to fit into these groups, and then get to know your customers and prospects in a whole new way. It's no longer good enough to just sell them something and then move on. Today you need to cultivate interactions with groups that you and your customers & prospects share an interest in to ensure that such relationships endure.

Here Are Eight (8) Interactions That Work:

#1 - Share Freely –

Before ever asking anyone you meet for a favor, always try to do things for them first. Freely give of yourself to people and they will remember you. If you've done a good job letting them know what you offer, they'll come to you when they're ready.

#2 - Stay Professional – In Person or Online!
Like it or not, it's especially important to remember that social media is part of the way we all communicate professionally today. You need to keep the things you share business-like, avoiding personal "over sharing" or " inappropriate sharing".

#3 - Practice Answering The Question "Who are you?", & "What do you do?" in about 15-20 seconds! –
This is referred to as an "Identification & Value Proposition statement!" - Just a way to say that you should always be prepared with a short way of introducing yourself, your business, and tell what you do for people. Be sure to always frame it with the benefits for the customer or prospect instead of making it all about you.

#4 - Always Be Honest and Ethical –
It's dog-eat-dog world out there, and you compete with a lot of unethical people. But, at all times, keep your strong ethical foundation in place and don't cross those legal and ethical boundaries just to get business.

#5 - Do What You Say You Will Do –
Don't volunteer to do things you don't have time to do. If someone asks you to do something and you simply can't do it due to a time crunch or something, say so. But, when you say you will do it, do it, and do it to the best of your ability.

#6 - Don't Monopolize Any Individual Persons Time –
We've all met the person who talks too much, or the person who doesn't talk at all, or the person who sticks by one person at an event. Don't be any of those persons! Instead, learn to converse intelligently and appropriately with a variety of people.

#7 - Be Welcoming –
When someone new wants to join the group, be welcoming and open to them. Sometimes groups can become "cliquish", and that can cause serious problems with the group. Not welcoming new people in and making them feel like they belong can make a group much less active.

#8 - Listen a Lot –
You've heard the saying, “You have two ears and one mouth for a reason”? Well, it's true. Use this as your guide to listen twice as much as you talk. Often talking too much is a sign of nervousness; if you can focus more on what people are saying than what you want to say, you can also calm your nervousness.

SUMMARY:
Building long-lasting relationships takes time in business and in your personal life. Both have many of the same characteristics for success. Be yourself, be honest, listen, and be helpful. But, don't over share or act in an unprofessional manner. If you want your business relationships to be rewarding, your community business associates have to like & trust you!

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
I'm gonna go out on foot after my first job today in an area where I want my business to expand and pass out some magnets and shake some hands at some industrial parks and some new apartment complexes. I'm gonna keep #6 in the front of my mind when I approach these places uninvited.

Any other tips from your experience?

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
I'm gonna go out on foot after my first job today in an area where I want my business to expand and pass out some magnets and shake some hands at some industrial parks and some new apartment complexes. I'm gonna keep #6 in the front of my mind when I approach these places uninvited.

Any other tips from your experience?
Make sure you shave first. :)

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
So,

I made about 20 stops today at funeral homes, a retirement center with carpet EVERYWHERE, a few factories, the maintenance department at a school board which looked pissed that I came uninvited, lol, factories, banks, medical offices and churches. I landed several good contacts so I'm certain that I've planted some good seeds.

It's been a long time since I planned a day like today, so I look forward to see what comes of it.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
So,

I made about 20 stops today at funeral homes, a retirement center with carpet EVERYWHERE, a few factories, the maintenance department at a school board which looked pissed that I came uninvited, lol, factories, banks, medical offices and churches. I landed several good contacts so I'm certain that I've planted some good seeds.

It's been a long time since I planned a day like today, so I look forward to see what comes of it.
Congrats Matt on getting out there. That's how you get those jobs, not by sitting at home waiting for somebody to call you. It's hard work but the payoff is worth it.

steve_64

I'm dropping our chamber this year. New management and direction. Last guy was running it for decades. It was very active but now crickets. Doors always locked at the office.

Reactions: Bruce Humphrey

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
So,

Don't let those seeds go unattended. Water them regularly. Ask for the opportunity for a demo to prove what you can do. Ask for the opportunity to give a bid. Ask if they are having any particular problems. Don't be annoying but be available.

steve_64

I’ve built a darn good business waiting in the phone to ring
I haven't done much myself the past ten years. Been growing 30 percent a year last 4 year's might be more this year. Already added 30 percent in new work This year and more coming in.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
You’re not talking to some kid working out of a used van
Just trying to make a point. We used to go out and introduce ourselves to prospective clientele. That gave us the opportunity to target specific types and sizes of jobs. I have a local competitor, (though we move in different circles) that can go out in a day and rack up $20,000 worth of sales. He only targets large commercial offices, has only portable machines, runs a crew of 8-12 employees. Whenever I am slow, that's exactly what I do. You just don't that anymore today. That's why I commend Matt for getting off his ass and going out and getting it done.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom