Bumping vac at the pulley

Able 1

Name
Keith
My motor runs at 2850 and my vac pump can run at 3250(same size pulleys),seems like me waste to me.

Is there a equation to figure out how big or small I should go?

How do you figure the belt size?

thanks,
Keith

GRHeacock

Depends on a couple of factors.

My Ballweber's CDS setup had a driveshaft 9 inch pulley driving a 4 1/2 inch pulley on the blower. So... with the engine turning 1300 rpm, the blower was running at 2600 rpm.

Since I cannot see your setup from here, it is hard to give proper advice.

Can you put a smaller pulley on the engine side? On the blower side? What about the support bearings and Universal joints?

We need more info.

Gary

Able 1

Name
Keith
This is a slide in unit.

I could go either way as far as size-smaller on engine or bigger on the blower.

I don't think the change in size will be that much to get just another 400 rpm on the blower.

The pulleys look to be about 4 1/2 -5 inches, definatly should have gotten some numbers ready before my post. :oops:

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
able 1;

Your 1 to 1 ratio is just fine the way it is.

Since you should operate at maximum lift of your blower, then you are probably running at the correct speed.

You must look at torque & HP curves from your engine, and then compare them to blower HP demands at the desired level of lift & CFM.

If you want more performance, I would:

1. Replace the silencer on the blower for less restriction

2. Go to 2.5" hose to the door

3. Reduce wand flow restrictions

Larry

Reactions: Cleanworks

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
are the pullys the same size now?

also, what motor and what blower?

side note, making engineering changes on many TMs isn't so cut and dried.
you may end up with headaches, when the solution could be as simple as running the motor at a higher RPM

..L.T.A.

Reactions: TConway

Able 1

Name
Keith
same size pulleys, kohler 25 horse, Gardner Denver blower around a 4 i think (Prochem Peak)

I put another 2" hose off my waste tank so i'm starting to set up for the 2.5 hose

maybe changing the pulley size is a bad idea. Have a tach. coming in the mail so maybe i'll try to up the motor.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
if it's a Kohler Command Pro, you can crank it at 3200 rpm all day long.
I "think" max rpm is 3450 on 'em

we run ours at 3000 to 3200 all-de-time

..L.T.A.

Reactions: SamIam

Able 1

Name
Keith
Me too!! I have used Valvoline ever since his recommendation.. Hate when we lose the great ones!!

Reactions: SamIam

TConway

Supportive Member
Name
Thomas Conway
My PC legend stock specs say 2600 rpms on Kohler, but Kohler specs say it can run at a max of 3600.
So I made throttle adjustment that I run it at a max of 3250, well under the 3600.
I did this at maybe 1000 hours on unit, it now has 4702.
Burns no oil, I did have to replace rear main seal, no more leaks.
I have 6" pulleys on both engine and blower I didn't change pulley sizes due to power curve.
I tapped waste tank to allow 2 2" hoses that run down the side of my unit to the front that Ys into a 2.5
I just put rubber plug in factory port and no longer use it.
With this mod I have plenty of performance, more heat due to more engine exhaust, and blower pressure just because I'm pulling it a little harder.
So I gained easily 400+ rpms on blower just by a throttle adjustment.
I am still on my original water pump seals are due as my pressure maxes at @850 should be 1000.
I just did some maintenance the other day and she is still running like a champ with 4702 hours

Reactions: Jimmy L

Able 1

Name
Keith
Why the need to run the engine faster? It's just a pulley!

TConway

Supportive Member
Name
Thomas Conway
Why the need to run the engine faster? It's just a pulley!
You will start messing with torque curve of motor, like going up a hill in a truck gotta keep it in the power, you change out pulley you may put a ugly load on motor, you might be fine.

Able 1

Name
Keith
Nope!! If you are worried about torque curve the last thing I would do is raise the RPM's of the engine!!

Able 1

Name
Keith
You will start messing with torque curve of motor, like going up a hill in a truck gotta keep it in the power, you change out pulley you may put a ugly load on motor, you might be fine.
:bull:

TConway

Supportive Member
Name
Thomas Conway
Change the pulley, and see if the motor will pull the same rpms, with the increased blower load on the same amount of fuel.

TConway

Supportive Member
Name
Thomas Conway
same size pulleys, kohler 25 horse, Gardner Denver blower around a 4 i think (Prochem Peak)

I put another 2" hose off my waste tank so i'm starting to set up for the 2.5 hose

maybe changing the pulley size is a bad idea. Have a tach. coming in the mail so maybe i'll try to up the motor.

A 25 hp kohler your still in the lawnmower club like me.

TConway

Supportive Member
Name
Thomas Conway
So, Tom you are saying Prochem is wrong?
You must, if you are asking about changing your set up, You came here asking.
I'm only sharing what I have done.
A blower needs x amount of power to maintain X amount of lift.
So if blower is holding @ 10" of hg on carpet only x amount of power
If you bump blower rpm you are going to increase what the blower is going to be able to hold. Just say now 2600 and at 100' the blower hits 10" hg at 100'
if you raise the rpms of blower maybe 400 rpms the blower may hold 12-13 possibly this may make the motor lug a bit with just the throttle setting you have now. You may need to still adjust the throttle to give it more power that is usually the way things work
You can change the pulley but you still may need to give it some more fuel as the gov may end up out of its range to comp for the increased load of the blower spinning more thus making it hold a little more lift

TConway

Supportive Member
Name
Thomas Conway
J1940 Power hp(kW) 1 25 (18.6) ...........................This is your hp
Displacement cu in (cc) 45.6 (747)
Bore in (mm) 3.3 (83)
Stroke in (mm) 2.7 (69)
Peak Torque lbs. ft (Nm) 41.2 (55.9)
Compression Ratio 9.1:1
Dry Weight lbs (kg) 105 (48)
Oil Capacity U.S. quarts (L) 2 (1.9)
Lubrication Full pressure w/full-flow filter
Dimensions L x W x H in 14.6 x 17.7 x 24.5
Backpressure Limit 2 50
J1995 Power hp (kW) 3 24.7 (18.4) .....This is what your getting at max 3600
J1995 Rated Speed (RPM) 3600 ............. I believe 3600 rpm is what the motor is ran at to get the max hp rating of 25 hp, if you are running at 2850 I do not believe your motor is producing 25 hp I think it will be less than that

I can't find specs but I think a #4 blower can take @ 18 hp to hold at 14-15 Hg but Prochem knows that it is not really going to hold 14 Hg on carpet more like 10hg. At 10 hg the HP needed drops way down, this is why they can put a high Pressure water pump #4 blower on a 20 hp motor.
Mine does fine with the increase, but when doing CGD carpet where I get really good seal you can really here the motor working much harder because I have also cranked down my vac relief it opens at @17-18 hg when you cup the vac port, when I do that the motor really can feel the load
These numbers are not exact just trying to recall out of memory when I was doing mods to mine.

Reactions: Nomad74

Able 1

Name
Keith
I was just looking at the numbers, and asking how they did it?! What size do you think they went with Tom?

img_2023-png.68942

SamIam

Name
sam miller
Prochem builds their machines to last, they don't over the engines or put to much load on the engine.

You still get great performance.

Just wait try pushing a quad wand no glide for 15 years at 13 hg. You hand and shoulders will start to feel it.

Hence glides, still push the relief up and still work, the only thing easy about carpet cleaning is the 360 except the swirl pattern on some carpets.

Reactions: Able 1
Back
Top Bottom