Burn Repairs

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
I have seen a company on the Internet claiming to correct burns from iron, cigarette and so forth corrected using their secret formula that does not"cut or patch the carpet or require dyes."

Sure, some color repairs can be done with crayons, but melted carpet is melted carpet. Any idea how a burned carpet could be repaired without cutting the carpet?

I am thinking this is a bigus claim. Maybe using some word other than cutting to describe how they remove the melted carpet. But maybe there is some repair I am not aware of.

Scott Warrington

packfancjh

Name
Chris Hagen
Like you said Scott a burn is a burn. Once the fiber is melted the is not coming back. There has to be cutting of some sort. If not I would love to see the process.

harryhides

Name
Tony
Small burns can be quickly fixed up by re-tufting in a few extra fibers.

I think that they are being very loose with their use of words.

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
harryhides said:
Small burns can be quickly fixed up by re-tufting in a few extra fibers.

I think that they are being very loose with their use of words.

Look out Tony, Harry will trounce you for using that word :shock: :lol:

But yeah, my thoughts exactly, when I read ciggies burns, often that's all that is required.

HOWEVER, for the synthetic carpets, I often find the PLASTIC :lol: (melted synthetic yarn) now lying on top of the primary backing makes the use of a needle extremely difficult and after attempting for a few minutes, will go to a quick slice and insert.

John

Stevea

Scott,

I am not sure of their method but I have been doing these types of repairs for many years. I do not share it but I have been thinking of using this as an advanced class added to my RRT Classes. It is a tremendous method to offer for a lot more repairs than just burns. I used it for years doing work in Disney Properties as well as Time Shares in the Orlando area when I lived there.

Here are a couple of examples of my work
before, a hot plate of some sort was dropped onto the carpet and burned the fibers badly
plateburn-1.jpg

after
plateburnrepair-1.jpg

before
ironburn-a-before.jpg

after
ironburn-b-after.jpg

SA

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
Harry Myers said:
Seems like they are retufting .

Take a break Harry... :lol: you're getting stressed out and starting to listen to me :roll:

Too big an area to cost effectively re tuft I would have thought. Then you have the issue of dyeing the new yarn to match existing... too hard basket if you ask me.

Impressive and the same with Steve's photos.

(when's the advanced course? :wink: )

John

Harry Myers

Name
Harry Myers
No John , melted fiber will cause not only a different texture but darker color as well. Steves pictures were minimal compared to those black melted plastic pictures.

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
I imagine with careful cropping, you'd be able to eliminate some of the lighter burns but those of the website look almost like TOAST!!

Then what about loop piles? Look ma'am, I got rid of your burn mark, but I left a small section of cut pile in the middle of your lounge room :shock: :lol:

John

Stevea

A lot of burns are really superficial, some are quite deep but most are not as bad as they seem. I have taken then out that were superficial as well as deep, look at the blue carpet, that is a fairly heavy melt. I guess a lot of things are like Tony always tells us, to think outside of the box.

SA

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
I've "repaired" superficial melts with sandpaper or a grill brick, but Steve's first picture would require a little more work with napping shears.

Cousin

I've found out where you've been stealing those photos from, John :shock:

Steve, at a guess, cropping?

I have the occasion to do some of these, and often get very good results.

This one was colour that leached out of a piece of dark felt. It's over between the windows

IMGP0617.jpg

After cropping

IMGP0621.jpg

Bit closer

IMGP0622.jpg

This was a newly constructed house, roof leaked in a severe storm, carpet was restored but this mark remained.
Builder was up for the entire house replacement because of this mark.
It's the fastest I've ever been paid by a builder :shock: :lol:

M

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom