But there are no stains,

steamron

Name
Ron
Customer called and wanted an estimate,
Living Room, Dining Room, 2 Average Bed Rooms and a hall and stairs. Empty

Instead of $189.00, I quoted $160/$165 (winter in PA, it's slow)

Customers tells the girl "but there are no stains"
She told him that we still pretreat and clean.

He hung up.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
This is a byproduct of low price marketing

Your prospective customer might have been exposed to this sort of presentation in the past:

The guy shows up for 9.95 a room or some other ridiculous price, then upcharges for stains.

We had an apartment cleaner around here who did a one bedroom apartment for 35.00. But he charged 100.00 extra if there were stains, and 100.00 extra for pet odors.

Of course, every job had both, and the managers fell for it.

One finally didn't, so when stuck with a 35.00 job, he sprayed the carpet with water, raked it in, and sent them the bill.

He had a big business going until his business ethics and personal behaviors conspired to catch up with him.

steve_64

$250 for me $50 a room stairs count as a room and if it's a long hallway $300.

Name
BradFenstermaker
$200 here with or without stains.

Think we all know the ole it's a small house, it's not that Durty I don't care if you make any money calls.

steve_64

Just had one call back that originally stated no stains and I was priced to high.

3 rooms $200.

Reactions: Nomad74

Rick J

Name
rick Jones

Your prospective customer might have been exposed to this sort of presentation in the past:

The guy shows up for 9.95 a room or some other ridiculous price, then upcharges for stains.

We had an apartment cleaner around here who did a one bedroom apartment for 35.00. But he charged 100.00 extra if there were stains, and 100.00 extra for pet odors.

One finally didn't, so when stuck with a 35.00 job, he sprayed the carpet with water, raked it in, and sent them the bill.

He had a big business going until his business ethics and personal behaviors conspired to catch up with him.
Recently I Subbed for an aquaintance. Was sent to an apt. community for some color repair work.
Something the regular carpet guys do not do.
I do know the maint. supervisor, have for years.
A higher end community. He told me his regular guys charge 55.oo for their two bedroom gardens.
These are rather spacious . Living room dining room combos, but large. Oh , and the two Brs are upper level , with carpeted staircases to access.
If rotaried 65.00!!! Yeah right.
And , he told me if any extras rarely more than 10.00. reds etc.
Yeah right.
BUT , you make it up in VOLUME!!!! :biggrin: :biggrin:

I tell these people, I were offering $1.00 bills at .50 cents I could most likely have a never ending supply of customers. !!!?LOL

This outfit had 5 or six trucks going serving that market, I am told.

Loren Egland

Name
Loren Egland

Apartments were not my market, but it would seem the way to make any money would be to give into the manager’s mentally and charge À la cart. All the manager can see is price per apartment rather than value of a complete cleaning package. And they would rather replace carpet prematurely rather than spend any extra to maintain the life of the carpet longer.

Not familiar with the saying ‘you get what you pay for’. :)

Bob Pruitt

Name
Robert Pruitt
350 in Cape Coral I get 100 for stairs. If Naples or Marco Island it is 400 and they probably want the fabric protector. 100 for stairs and pathways or 200 all.
I don't understand charging the same price for stairs as an area. Which would you rather clean 200 square feet carpet or a flight of stairs?

steve_64

350 in Cape Coral I get 100 for stairs. If Naples or Marco Island it is 400 and they probably want the fabric protector. 100 for stairs and pathways or 200 all.
I don't understand charging the same price for stairs as an area. Which would you rather clean 200 square feet carpet or a flight of stairs?
Ease of pricing. Takes about the same time. Most rooms I see are closer to 120 sq ft.

steve_64

Not the way I clean them. Twice as long and much more difficult.
But I get that the math is easy.
Yeah I knock them out pretty quick. Should say I hack them out.
I probably should charge more but I use to get grief for the price. People would say it's just the stairs. Once I started saying same price as a room people stopped commenting so I stuck to it.

Some people would would even exclude the stairs trying to save money. But that was quite awhile ago. Things have changed I might have to rethink it. Thanks Bob.

Reactions: Bob Pruitt

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Apartments were not my market, but it would seem the way to make any money would be to give into the manager’s mentally and charge À la cart. All the manager can see is price per apartment rather than value of a complete cleaning package. And they would rather replace carpet prematurely rather than spend any extra to maintain the life of the carpet longer.

Not familiar with the saying ‘you get what you pay for’. :)
Apartments and condos can be profitable but not if you think you are going to give a discount and get a lot of suites at the same time. Never really works out like that. Good building managers and property managers know that cleaning is a lot cheaper than replacing. Many have never seen what a properly equipped and trained carpet cleaner can do. They are used to the cheap hacks. I charge regular prices for these jobs, $150 for a 1 bedroom suite, $200 for a 2 bedroom suite or $.35 per square foot if they are extra large. I have several building managers who have used me for over 30 years. Not only do I clean the suites but usually once a year I clean all the common hallways. These jobs range from $650 to over $4,000.

steve_64

I have a lower rate for apartments. No Prespray just hack them out for the flat rate. If they need additional work it's considered damage and I get more than residential price. The complex then deducts the additional from the deposit. I like it when they are trashed.

Hallways and common areas in in the $200 an hour range usually.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom