Butler Clutch...

Mike Draper

Has any of the Butler owners ever had a clutch go out? Myne hasn't, but i'm going to be taking my cleaning unit out of my van and installing it in a new van. I was wondering If I should buy a new clutch while I was at it? 2200 hours on my Butler.

Rex Tyus

B-Man said:
Has any of the Butler owners ever had a clutch go out? Myne hasn't, but i'm going to be taking my cleaning unit out of my van and installing it in a new van. I was wondering If I should buy a new clutch while I was at it? 2200 hours on my Butler.

I don't have a Butler but I do have a Clutch driven system. YES. Clutches are like belts, sooner or later they go. 2200 hours is a good time to replace if you are making a change over anyway.

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
I am not sure if you have moved a Butler unit from one van to another yet. I see you have a Customized Butler in your profile so you might know what you are in for. But man, this is a real pain to do unless the vans are of the same vintage. Some members of my family have had this done and done by a company that does it. They have found it just wasn't worth it. On the clutch topic, you can get a lot of hours out of it yet.

Mark Saiger

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
what's the typical failure for them?

I run a slide-in with pump clutch and I'd never had to replace one.

I know you guys with DDs put TONS more load on them due to driving blower and pump

so what is the common failures for ya'll?

..L.T.A.

John Watson

I remember one failing, It disengaged in the middle of a job, would not re-engage, It was on a 1978 SteamVac Ol Blue 1 ton 14ft box van that Claude had when I went to work for him. I finished the Job by inserting a 3/8 bolt into a threaded hole which secured the clutch to the shaft. The newer clutches don't have this feature. Upon dissassembly I found the power supply wire had rubbed thruogh and grounded out which popped the fuse.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
On a CDS about half fail somewhere between 5 and 7 thousand hours, some never fail. It isn't an expensive part though, so put in a new one if you want.

Greenie

I'll bet you hear of a LOT more clutch failures with newer butlers and CDS using blower HX and models that turn the 47 class blowers faster (overdrive) and (Maxxvacuum), load is load, and they've got these AC clutches working at redline in the newer units.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom