Butler system driveshaft grinding sound

FredC

Village Idiot
So I get the driveshaft installed and go to put on the new belts and among the endless other things the previous owner screwed up on the tensioner for the belts is sheared off and now I don't know how I'm supposed to get the new belts on.
That isn’t functional?

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
If the tensioner wasn't there when you took it apart, it probably means he was using the alternator or something else, maybe the air condition pulley as the tensioner. If it was running before, there shouldn't be any difference now. Replace with the same size belts that were on before and just loosen off one of the components so you can get it on and tighten it up. Most of the time it's the alternator

FredC

Village Idiot
youcan't get a lever/bar in somehow to pull the tensioner up/down?

Name
Lee Stockwell
So I get the driveshaft installed and go to put on the new belts and among the endless other things the previous owner screwed up on the tensioner for the belts is sheared off and now I don't know how I'm supposed to get the new belts on.
Looks like a stock GM tensioner. Clamp a Vice-grip on it to install the belt.

Then order a new tensioner online to install later.

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
Hate to say it but that looks rough.

I would get tensioner and pulley combo.

But for now it's going to be tough but maybe can find a way to pull that downward towards the center of crankshaft area and get belts on if you have work scheduled and no other cleaning unit

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
kind of with the others...
might be more a PITA compared to ratchet in the square
but seems like that tensioner wouldn't be a big deal to clamp onto to rotate with visegrips or a short pry bar ....most certainly with shroud and fan off methinks
(If they were removed for working space to replace drive shaft??)

with the others too
if fan 'n shroud is off, (and no utility disconnect notice looming to hamper fundage ) I'd damn sure change it while open and piece of cake to get to.

Just to eliminate PITA bar or visegrip belt changes in the future

..L.T.A.

Name
Andrew
but seems like that tensioner wouldn't be a big deal to clamp onto to rotate with visegrips or a short pry bar ....most certainly with shroud and fan off methinks

with the others too
if fan 'n shroud is off, (and no utility disconnect notice looming to hamper fundage ) I'd damn sure change it while open and piece of cake to get to.

..L.T.A.

Didn't have to remove the fan and shroud to get the driveshaft installed. Everything else is done besides the 2 front belts

Name
Andrew

with the others too

..L.T.A.

Didn't have to remove the fan and shroud to get the driveshaft installed. Everything else is done besides the 2 front
Slip

Slip them on the pulleys. Its not that hard to do.

There's so much tension on that tensioner King Kong would have trouble slipping those belts on

FredC

Village Idiot
so take the shroud off and use a bar if there isn't enough room.....or the vice grips like Lee suggested

steve_64

I don't think it's quite as easy as this, Steveo

(skip forward to 20 second mark)

.L.T.A.

Its not that easy but you wedge it on as tight as you can get it and bump the starter if you have to and it will spin on. It can damage belts I hear but I've never had problems doing it that way.

Mikey P

Administrator
Did you know we have a nice OP unit up for auction?

Cleans carpet, tile and grout, wood, brick and even polishes stone.

No belts, shafts or noisy ass starters to deal with.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom