Butler turning on and off?

supersoaker

Name
Michael Malandruccolo
Hello,

My Butler, for the second time now in the last week or so has shut itself off and come back on by itself.

I normally just leave it in the idle position to prespray and a couple times now after I hit the engage system switch, it starts just fine and as I walk away to go prespray the carpet it shuts off for a few seconds and then starts again. I'm just worried for when it doesn't start again.

What should I be looking for? It seems like a bad connection somewhere.

Thanks

kendallsdad

Supportive Member
FOR 2006 & OLDER GM OR FORDS:
If the engage system switch is staying on (Green light) and the pump switch is staying on it's most likely going to be the 5 amp breaker (9315 on schematic) below the system engage switch. The 5 amp breaker can go bad over time especially if you're experiencing hot temperatures. Fortunately, you can swap the engage breaker with the auxiliary breaker and run the system that way temporarily. Call Butler for details and if you don't have a schematic go to the website and download one.
http://www.butlersystem.com/schematics.html

Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Lyman
My o8 shuts off my itself once a week. I have to call and have them send me a new controller or whatever it is. The only problem is I keep working and forgeting to call them.

davegillfishing

Supportive Member
Name
dave gill
soft start control module..
my did it a few times and peter nailed it in a matter of seconds.
you can confirm that by bypassing the module and running it for
the day but i will recommend you call butler to get the directions
on how to do it as i dont want to post it up because if you run
it for more than a few days like that it is not good for the system.
hope that helps

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
kendallsdad said:
FOR 2006 & OLDER GM OR FORDS:
If the engage system switch is staying on (Green light) and the pump switch is staying on it's most likely going to be the 5 amp breaker (9315 on schematic) below the system engage switch. The 5 amp breaker can go bad over time especially if you're experiencing hot temperatures. Fortunately, you can swap the engage breaker with the auxiliary breaker and run the system that way temporarily. Call Butler for details and if you don't have a schematic go to the website and download one.
http://www.butlersystem.com/schematics.html

A faulty 20 amp breaker button is reason the my Pro1200 would shut off or hesitate to start. I put 2 roach clips on a wire and circumvented the switch and the problem went away. So I put an in line 20 amp fuse on the wire. 'nother ghetto solution to a problem. Of course this is after I took the truck in for service of the problem and they checked all the connections and cleaned them up. (That didn't fix it.) Things get funky after 9000 hours

supersoaker

Name
Michael Malandruccolo
Thanks for all the replies. I talked to Tom at Butler and he is leaning towards a control module under the vans hood with a few lights on it. We're starting off checking the ground wires. Then switching between the cat pump and engage system wire harness to rule out something else then ultimately something about a jumper and a soft start.

The ground wires off the cat pump were loose. Could that cause the system to start and stop?

Another thing, when I press the engage system switch it isn't as snappy to start especially when it's hot.

Bob, I'll do that tomorrow.

Mark, It's an 2004 with the pods. Would you know the inside diameter of the vacuum hose going to those pods? They're looking pretty cracked.

Ken, Thanks. I wish they were on the west coast as they're usually closed by the time I get home.

Kendallsdad, I believe that's what were going to rule out next.

Lyman, That's what Butler believes it to be.

Dave, Thanks, tomorrow I will make a jumper (whatever that is) like Tom suggested and try to bypass it.

Art, Hey, whatever works. When you start breaking out the duct tape is when you're truly ghetto.

Thanks,
Michael

Dale

Name
Dale Collins
I agree with Ken on the Customer service.

But in that we rebuild older Butlers and have had this problem, here is what I found more than once: Wiggle all the plug connects in the back of the panel with the machine running. Kinda pull them out a little, so you know that your not replugging them tighter. If you see arcing, or if the machine faulters thats your baby. Unplug it. If you can sand/clean it do so and tighen it up by bending the female brass plug inward. If not order a new one. Clean/tighten the ground @ the right side of the panel. Then go back and retighten all the plugs.

Thx,
Dale

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
Hi Michael,

Glad to hear Butler is helping you out. Being it is a pod vacum control system, it is not a couple of things i was thinking it could be. I unfortunately don't know the size of the vac lines.

I hope you get it figured out. Butler will get you on track, but please feel free to contact me even if it is after hours or on weekends.

218-326-4736 office number that transfers to my cell when out of the office.

Best wishes!

Mark Saiger

supersoaker

Name
Michael Malandruccolo
Dale, Thanks for the tip.

Mark, That's very generous of you. I may take you up on the offer. I'm the a-hole that flipped out on ics at Butler over the extra water tank if you remember. I only speak to Tom at Butler and he's been kind enough to help me through this.

Thanks,
Michael

joe harper

Name
joe harper
The vac hose is "standard" windshield wiper fluid hose...!

The intermittent shorting-out is electrical ....

Poor vac lines will only slow the unit when starting....

IT IS ALWAYS SOMETHING SIMPLE WITH A BUTLER....!

Probably just a loose ground...!

WHEN IT IS EXTREEMLY HOT...they can be temperamental..SWITCHES will overheat..!

Same with the 5 amp fuses...will vibrate and KILL the system..CHANGE THEM ALL..cheap..!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom