Buying new equipment. Talk me into it.

Fon Johnson

I will be buying some new equipment this year. For a tm, I plan on buying another one of Duaneo's truck mounts. I have an older one that has served me well. We do mostly commercial, but residential is picking up. I will be dual wanding on those that dual wand will benefit. I think I would be happy with Duaneo's Dominator or new HE system in a new Chevy (I'm stuck on that, I have love ALL of my Chevys). Do I need the BIG TRUCK aspect? Should I go Vortex or Aerotech? Maybe a slide in in a box truck, but could I still say "ASK FOR THE BIG TRUCK"?

We also do encap with releasit and a rotary. Should I buy more rotaries, brutes, cimex? Tell me why.

Sway my opinion here.

hogjowl

Idiot™
Fon:

In all seriousness, I would probably tell you to stay with DooDaddy, unless you are looking for the security of running something you can lock up while working, or you want the dependability of a CDS unit. If I were buying today, I would seriously look at a Butler with the high heat option, but that is only because I really like the idea of locking up my unit while running and I like the dependability and ease of use of a Butler. I just like the way they are laid out. However, justifying the additional money would be hard, when you consider that you can get a slide in unit from DooDaddy or TCS for around $12,000. Duane's heat is a plus, and one that I would look at hard. (I'd just be a little concerned about him being around to install it.)

As for an encap machine, I'd go GLS, but that's just me. Plenty would argue with me over it. I like the GLS because I find it to be more versatile than a Cimex.

harryhides

Name
Tony
Fon, no-one knows your situation better than you. But you can put ANY unit in a box truck to have the extra space and billboard advert AND be able to say with a straight face "ask for the BIG truck".
The ONLY unit that we get customers being very specific about demanding the same truck is or one and only unit (Genesis 59) in a box van. The rest are Hydramasters and Mastermatics.

Derek

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
TM's, Butler would probably be who i'd go with cause i'm no mechanic and they are reputedly a very well made machine. that said, i can't say much about TM's, i have run 1 or 2 probably as long as Marty has run a Cimex.

speaking of which, i really recommend one, but can't compare it to a Brute or GLS cause i haven't tried them. and i'd hate to talk you into it and then you get sore at me :oops:. if you want my opinion on my 'Mex, feel free to email me your phone # and i'll call ya.

have a great weekend :D --- Derek.

hogjowl

Idiot™
Derek:
You don't have to actually USE a TM to understand that it's what you need if you are going to be doing a lot of residential cleaning. You just have to have experience with residential cleaning and a little common sense. It also helps to listen to people on these boards.

It's the same with the Cimex. I've spent the last 20 years cleaning commercial carpets, and the last 5 or 6 using a GLS. This commercial experience, added to the knowledge I've gained actually listening to Cimex users, has led me to the conclusion that a Cimex is great if you are going to strictly use it on large, open area, commercial cleaning. However, my experience has taught me that for the average "mix" that most cleaners encounter, the GLS is a better option.

Do YOU use your Cimex prescrubbing residential carpets, encapping stairs and cleaning under desks?

Fon Johnson

OK, thanks guys. This is a good start. :)

I thought about putting a dominator into a box truck like vortex uses. I like the room. I know that many say that they never run into problems with a short runt o fresh water, or a place to dump. I run a pump out on bigger jobs, but for some weird reason it seems that neither a fresh water hookup or a good dump place are available, let alone near each other. I want to be able to do 1,000 sq ft (more would be nice) of tile and grout without hooking up or dumping. I am all about saving time. I know a minute does not make a lot of difference in the grand scheme of things, but if you save three minutes per job, at 4 jobs a day times 3 trucks, that will pay for a vacation. 8)

As for residential.. I do a fair amount now, but previously did very little. I LOVE being able to pre-spray, pull hoses, and clean. I do sometimes run into those weird jobs where a big truck would be a pain, but usually it would be no problem to back up the driveway and just run an extra 20 or 30 ft of hose at worst.

Open my eyes to things I have not thought of. Consider that most jobs are just average jobs with the exception that inconvenient hook up/pump out situations seem to find me. It is easy to burn 10 minutes or more hooking them up on some. Time is money.

Goldenboy

Name
Mike Waldron
After my ambulance blows up I will move my slide in into a box truck. For the look and the room. Derek is one of ricKeys brainwashed chimps who is a TM want-a-be. He dreams of owning a TM. If I was in the market for a NEW TM Matt King would be my choice. He lives an hour from my crib.

Golden Boy

Mikey P

Administrator
A well built Slide In in a nice Box Truck ( has Ford/IH fixed the fuel problem yet?) is an excellent option . Especially if you plan to run Chimps

My experience has made two things very clear to me.

I will never use a Cargo Van to haul CC equipment around in ever again and 2'nd the Cimex out shampoos the GLS on any CGD period. Less passes, gets under desks better and gets the carpet looking better in a lot less time. Keep in mind I actually OWN both machines.

hogjowl

Idiot™
I'll give you that, Mike. It sure is faster. I can only do 1200 to 1500 sf an hour with my GLS, and if you say the carpets "look" better using a Cimex, I'll only say how clean can clean "look"?

However, you can't use your Cimex on residential carpets to prescrub prior to HWE, and NOTHING (not even your rotary) digs up hair and crud better than a cylindrical brush machine such as the GLS. PERIOD!

And, you can't tell me you enjoy carting your Cimex up stairs, either.

Fon:

I don't run into many situations where I think a box truck would get in my way. On those occasions, a big blower that would allow me to suck from the road would be necessary. The only thing that keeps me out of a box truck is the fact that they just look so ugly. Image counts for a lot, IMHO.

Now, if I could put a diesel slide-in into a cab over diesel truck, I might just go for it. However, DooDaddy, nor TCS make a diesel slide in.

Dang it!

Fon Johnson

LOL

Yeah, I think maybe I need to consider the cimex and GLS. I can see that. I like a tool box full of tools.

I like the idea of a box. Not a big, tall, ugly box, but something like the vortex uses. I was blown away by the pictures that Shawn posted showing the size of it compared to a chevy van. It is not really taller, and not a lot wider. I really like the idea of a rolling billboard. That would play nicely into my future plans. I'm going to shut down the carpet cleaning business, and open a marketing company. :wink:

I also like the room for big water tanks in a big truck. I am all about productivity. Hence the cimex, etc..

Matt King

Big trucks are nice. I run a van because it fits in my garage but I wouldn't mind a big rig if I had a place to put it. The vans nice too though. Easy to park etc.. If Duane's treated you well and your happy with his machines, I'd stay right at home...

G

Fon,

Ride with someone with a Vortex, Aero Tech and any other machine you want. It would be well worth your time. You can ride with me. I am in Chicago.

Dave

DavidVB

We have 3 2 speed rotarys, 2 Cimexs, a GLS and had a Brute. The Cimexs are used the most and I agree provide the best appearance. It may be a matter of the nap looking smoother. We like the GLS for small areas, stairs and some residential usage.

I had a Brute for a few weeks. The handle just fell off due to poor welds, the pad driver wouldn't stay on and the thing vibrated like mad. I liked the idea of it picking up some soil, but you have to change pads frequently to do that. On a large commercial job that means lots of pads and time. If I want to pick up soil, I'll either run a rotary behind a Cimex or extract.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
"It is not really taller"

It's a little taller, Fon.
Bout a foot and half.

A standard van is just a tad under 7ft tall.
The standard box on V/AT's are 8' 6" if I recall right

Personally, I've never run any thing larger than a 47 blower in the "real world"
I guess it's "OK" for dual wanding.
(depending on what your used too)
But for my money, If I intended to dual often, I'd want a #5 blower minimum

..L.T.A.

Fon Johnson

The biggest problem with the vortex is that I am a cash kinda guy. That is a lot of dough to save up this year..

I'm seeing that I need a full toolbox.. That vortex is a nice box.. :lol:

I am in an area where I don't have to keep it inside. I can usually keep my truck from freezing with a heater. We don't get past the low teens too often. By the time I buy a new truck, I hope to have a new place to park her and keep her warm, even if it is a vortex. Just up the road from me they are building some nice office/warehouse space that will accommodate a box truck with no problem.. 8)

Derek

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
OK then, don't buy a Cimex. don't live the good life.

it's not just anyone that can live in a place like me ---------v
<------------------------------------------------------------------------

careful waldo, i'll PM Larry and you and your ambulance will be outta here faster than you can type a reply.

if ya can afford all the tools Fon, then i'd definitely get a wide array of VLM and HWE tools like Mike has...but that's the
easy answer :arrow:

thanx --- Derek :p

Goldenboy

Name
Mike Waldron
derek

Larry Da Snitch use to be a fellow poster like myself. Then John G started giving him free chemicals to moderate his board and Larry turned into a pompous ass. He use to be a guy who you could turn to for a honest answer. He sold out. All for a couple of cases of Z-Bomb. Kind of like you bragging about Release-It like its some kind of miracle drug. When in fact its another POS Encrap/shamPoo product. But as long as riCKY gives you free chems you could careless if honest carpet cleaners are wasting their money on the crap.

Golden Boy

Fon Johnson

Hey, I love releasit!

Marty is partially correct. I have a separate truck for tile, but I like the idea of room for tools. I think one of my biggest concerns is hauling lots of water. We do a fair amount of t&g cleaning, and I would like to do even more. I think that 200 to 250 gallons would get through most tile jobs. What are the options for vortex and aerotech?

Dave, I just might take you up on that offer some time. I really wish I could make Mikeyfest.. I would love to ride with him for a day or two as well.

Is the truck the vortex comes in a dual tank truck?

Mikey P

Administrator
Damn paid Snitch....

Well I'll be....

lol!

Rest assured meAt aint getting a dime off of me.

But to be fair , If I had to hang around the Blue Bored all day with the current cast of sob's, I would demand a fee as well.

Name
Steve Lawrence
If you do mostly commercial you can't go wrong with the speedy, effective Cimex and a couple good vacuum cleaners--we like backpacks. Faster than HWE, no fuel expense. Quiet. Easy, much less physical effort than HWE. The clean will often outlast your HWE results.

Name
BradFenstermaker
Fon you can also demo a ThermalWave with the #5 blower. You need to really consider if chimps are going to be in the future. Especially when your sleeping at nite 8) >

Brad

Jeremy

Name
Jeremy
I'd look into getting a demo with whatever you are concidering before you decide on anything. I am a little partial to the CX20/Brute OP machines. The do a great job on nasty CGD & control the solution usage a little better than a Cimex. That said, a 19 or 24 inch Cimex may be a better fit for you as they are a fairly efficient machine for stripping VCT. A brute will strip a floor, but it slings the slurry awful bad...

For the TM I can't really comment. I ain't got one... But from what I hear Butler is where it's at. Just don't expect the chemical injection system to work all the time... I'd say a Butler with 2 1/2" hose & a 2" wand would be a super sucker (single wand) & could be used to dual wand if you don't mind the dry pass... and maybe a post pad. A vac booster may be nice... If you really want the heat throw on a LP post heater to keep your 240+ at the wand... Not that you'll need it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom