Bypassing heat exchangers,pretty cut and dry or not?

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
an extra hose and a valve. NBD
might be a wee bit more to it dependsing on how its configured

Why are you bypassing it? I bypassed mine to pressure wash higher than 1000psi (the limit of my HX)

doug450

It is a Avenger 210 and I have heard the heat exchangers are a pile of crap on this machine and I think there bad,I have a little bit of water coming out the exhaust which could be condensation from the motor but also there is a water leak under the machine and it looks like it is coming from a rusty area on the exchanger,aren't the propane in line heaters pretty good compared to these heat exchangers.
I am just checking out my options here.

Thanks,Doug

Kevin B

Name
Kevin Bunce
The avenger 210 is NOTORIOUS for ruptured heatexchangers. Personally, I would add a nice exhaust exchanger since its an 18hp machine. You will probably get 160-180 depending on how warm it is outside.

Add on a 3ht or 2ht and you will be in the 250+ range fairly easily.

John Watson

I have a ball valve which lets me bypass the heated side of my system for when I am cleaning wool.

Farenheit251

Are you going to bypass the exhaust to a muffler? Just doing the water wont work. The exchanger will get super hot w/ no water putting black smoke clouds in the air and not just for a little while. It is just not made to get that hot and could be unsafe. Heat exchangers can explode.

Spurling

I thought about hooking up a heat exchange system to and from the truck radiator to my water tank and limit it to 150 degrees somehow and run it through a propane heater .. this way when I have jobs that aren't dirty or doing uph I can leave propane heater off.. when I get a bad one ..I can fire it up to 240 degrees.. 2 of our trucks get too hot sometimes and sometimes not hot enough. Seems like you'd be more in control of your heat and conserve propane when possible.

Dale

Name
Dale Collins
Avenger 210 is also notorious for the shell to rust out.

We've made the shell out of stainless before, and cradled the copper coil(that's why they break) and they were perfected!

Thx,
Dale

T

The Magician

Get rid of that pos. Its going to cost u alot of money and down time. It was discontinued years ago.

doug450

Hey Jimmy why is it such a pos,I have heard other people say that also,the main fault I have heard of is the heat exchangers,what else is wrong with this unit,I am a mechanic so I am very mechanical and mechanically inclined,so I will not mind working on this unit.
I am planning on getting on of those propane heaters.

Doug

Kevin B

Name
Kevin Bunce
It is mostly just the Heat exchangers that limit the machine. Also, i would do something to get it more ventillation. Buddy of mine, blew two engine rods through the block from the engine overheating.

Get yourself an all new heatexchanger, and the rest of the components are somewhat decent.

T

The Magician

Doug every one I know that had that TM had many problems. HX and everything else. Since you are mechanically inclined. Go for it. Patience and your skills, you'll have it running great. Use a #2/ 3 LG and you'll have plenty of heat. Good luck and let us know about your up grades.

Kelly

some times theres un forseen problems messing around with heat exchangers that are heated by the engine exhaust

RichardnTn

Option 1: Bypass the HX and get a propane burner..
2: Replace HX with one of John's...
3: Sell machine and buy a new one...
All will work... Richard R

Spurling

I know of two models .. 1000 psi bursting point 600psi daily use and the other 1500psi bursting point with 1200psi daily use.. I have the Little Giant 3HT (its the 1200-1500psi)

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
I have a 2ht and a 3 ht I always post heat with the avenger 450 and it rocks a 200+ all day

doug450

Are the universal heat exchangers a good way to go or would a little giant be better??????

Doug

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom