California GVR limits..?

Bob Foster

Some times larger vehicles have to take truck routes. When you register your vehicle you register it to a GVWR or weight class. More heavily registered vehicles are subject in some cases to different drivers licence classes and also not allowed on some roads. And I think you are under them with your truck. In some places you have a choice as to how high a GVW you want to be licensed to but if you are caught over your GVW you can get a really big fine

So when they pull you over on a no trucks allowed road they ask to see your registration and look at the weight class but don't actually weight you . On a very rare occasion you might see portable scales set up but that has to do more with random roadside safety inspections. They are usually looking for bad brakes (usually air brake slack adjusters not set right), poor tires and bad suspension and the big one no pre-trips filled out. All of this stuff has nothing to do with this GVWR vehicle.

I wouldn't worry about it.

Read Page 5

http://dmv.ca.gov/pubs/dl600.pdf

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
Anything over 10,001lbs you need a Ca DOT # on the truck. Just don't go out of state with it. That will open up a whloe new can of worms.

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
Louis said:
Anything over 10,001lbs you need a Ca DOT # on the truck. Just don't go out of state with it. That will open up a whloe new can of worms.

Most states have a limit to how far you can go from the "home office" for big trucks such as box trucks. I know in Ohio if the vehicle is over 10,001 lbs GVW, you can travel up to 150 miles from the home office without all the hassle.

So long that :

Drivers must have a medical certificate (NO CDL IS REQUIRED)
The truck or van must have company marking on each door
Fire extinguisher must be accessible and secured
Annual vehicle inspection
Vehicle equipment must be in proper working order
Maintenance records must be maintained
Must maintain $1 million of insurance when hauling vehicles
When motor vehicles are hauled there are special requirements for securing the load that must be followed

A driver qualification file must be maintained – including the application for hire and the medical certificate
Log books must be maintained, unless:
If the vehicle(s) is within 150 miles of the business no log book needs to be maintained IF
The driver returns to the work reporting location and is released from work within 12 consecutive hours;
The driver does not drive more than 11 hours;
The driver must have at least 10 hours off between 12 hour shifts
The company maintains and retains for a period of 6 months accurate time records.

Maybe Olson will share what happened to one of his customers that didn't follow the rules for big rigs in Utah. Needless to say it wasn't very pretty and was $$$$$$$

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
Colorado is in charge of the western state devision....each state is different in how they handle there truck laws...

Az is pretty easy on theres...we have no real restrictions on ours unless...we are hauling products or goods for delivery or are crossing the state line...

mine is registered at 14,500 GVW....we do not have to worry about weight...D.O.T numbers...scales..inspections ..or CDL's

I would call the colorado office and get the exact California laws from them..........

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
Mike Draper said:
I'd like to hear this.....I didnt think any of those restrictions applied to me.

If you don't travel more than 100 miles I believe it is from your location you should be okay.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Are you loading over 4,000 pounds of stuff? If you're going to be under the rated GVW of the truck I don't think you have any problems.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom