Cameron or Ted, what is this?

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Ran into this yesterday. Customer wants it honed after Christmas. Looks like a black metamorphic, but is oddly spalled all over. Little tiny chips. The inside lip of the sinks is quite smooth and glossy.

1. What is it?
2. Can I polish it like granite? (I think yes)
3. Should it be sealed after?
4. Should I attempt to mess with that 1/8" lippage, or leave it alone?
5. How would you price this sort of work per foot?

Name
cameron demille
I don't know the name, but it is a very delicate flaky surface, most Mica. It's a super fine layered mineral that can flake with cleaning and normal use. Yes you can polish it, but pretty much only with MB-20, otherwise any more heat or friction that comes with older methods will burn it it and pop the minerals.

We usually try and texture or put an antiqued finish on these, but you can definitely hone it as well. A polished finish will always show wear.

as far as grinding down the seam, it technically can be done, but if it is actually 1/8th I probably wouldn't bother. it looks very wide too.

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
I think she called it "schist." Hates it, will never do that again, she says. That apparent wear is actually micro flaking.

Would you mind putting a kit of the right disks, accessories and polishes together for me and PM me with the price? I have a Makita, but am ready to spring for marble and granite honing stuff.

Name
cameron demille
Stephen, I missed your last response, I apologize.

Honing it would require more physical work than technical skill. It is fairly easy with this type of stone. A couple of the lower grit copper pads would work really well, then finished off with honing powder would leave a really nice finish, or at least as nice as you can get out of this stone.

Reactions: Old Coastie

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom