Can a black light fail?

tmiklethun

Name
Travis Miklethun
Weird issue today. I go out to bid a urine job and my black light doesn't show any urine spot. I have a long black flashlight style, maglite?, with three black light bulbs. You could see the black light on the carpet, but nothing glowed. My client pulled out a cheap little blacklight, for scorpion hunting ect, and I could see spot that my light didn't show. (I felt like a fool).

Is there a reason that my blacklight didn't work or do I just need to buy a new one?

If I need a new one, who has a good one that won't give me this problem in the future.

Thanks

Reactions: SamIam

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
It may not be putting out enough power in the UV range that excites urine to glow. The visible light is not the portion of the output that really works.

Before you buy a new light, try it with amber goggles. Filtering the unwanted portion of the spectrum helps you see the part that does the work.

If you decide you need a new one, Interlink Supply has a new UV light. I have heard nothing but favorable comments on Larry's UV lights. You would do well at either supplier.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Travis;

Sorry that your UV light didn't work.

Some of them don't last,

and some are too low in power.

Larry

Last edited:

Mike Draper

from my experience, those lights mostly pick up the salt from the urine. Once that's been vac'd off its less visible.

JR Harvey

Name
JR Harvey
Shane T is correct. Black light on polypropylene and polyesters sometimes don't show at all. So know your fiber when looking for urine. Always have Formic Acid with you to test it.

Able 1

Name
Keith
Shane T is correct. Black light on polypropylene and polyesters sometimes don't show at all. So know your fiber when looking for urine. Always have Formic Acid with you to test it.

Better off using a Hydrosensor.. Black light Hydrosensor combo is the way to go. What will formic acid do when you use it to test? How will you find areas to test if there is no color?

JR Harvey

Name
JR Harvey
Your asking what formic acid does??
If you don't use formic you can do a burn test.
Or some of us can almost tell just by looking at it. But formic gives accurate info.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom