Can a exhaust heat exhanger be this simple?

Name
Jesse
I want some additional heat. Here's what I'm considering doing, please give me any insights or advise you have:

Adding a heat exchanger under the truck on the exhaust, the current system consisting of a single pipe. I'll ad a y, manual diverter to regulate flow, then the heat exchanger. I'll run coolant from the truck through the exhaust heat exchanger, then the coolant will pass through the machines coolant heat exchangers. Our trucks already have a additional electric fan that runs when the tm is in operation. I would also seek the highest temperature rating for my coolant.

My thought is that the coolant will always be flowing the same volume, by adjusting the amount of exhaust it receives to a safe flow I should be able to have one preset temperature.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
not sure I understand,
lemmie see if i have this right.

you're considering heating the van engine coolant beyond 205 with exhaust HX?
That can't be right, I know

You're trying to maintain a sol temp of 190-200 for hi-flow or long keyed duty cycle?
Or trying to get another 20-30 degrees temp beyond the possibilities of normal coolant fluid temp HXs? ?

just cover the van radiator.
Your "manual diverter" valve will be a piece of cardboard you manually adjust by how much radiator space you cover :mrgreen:

..L.T.A.

Name
Jesse
The goal is to reach a higher temperature, I've got the flow under control.

From what I see, only a % of the total systems flow goes through the heat exchangers. This would mean that the superheated coolant would mix with 190 degree coolant as it entered the radiator.

I would guess that the van could handle the extra heat due to the dilution of the superheated fluid, the extra air flow from the additional electric fan, with the fact that the vans never get hot in any condition. I've also heard that there are coolants made to handle high temps, that cooling a turbo may expose the coolant to 600 degree surfaces.

?

Name
Jesse
floorguy said:
why not just buy a fuel fired heater??

Because I have 3hts on my trucks. I'm considering options for upgrades to current and future vans, I intend to buy 2-3 used pto's this year as long as they unemployment rate stays under 60% 8) , they'll need pimping.

Also I love heat, I intend to do this to 1 current van to see if I can raise my capability. I'd like all our trucks to maintain 300 1/4 open hose. Right now it's only 250 which is good until you get 300-700 feet away from the truck.

G

Kero; Set dial to 325 you can run hose till the hills and still get nawesome heat IMHO.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom