Can My Heat Exchanger be clogged?

everfresh1

Name
Jamie Cohen
My Boxxer runs real slow now, When I have the heat engaged, When the exhaust is running through the heat exchangers. In devert mode it seems to run fine. Can those exchangers carbon up and partially block the exhaust flow? Never had this problem before.

Mikey P

Administrator
Direct drive, PTO's and Heat exchangers. The only one I'm familiar with is oil burning units.
I would like to know which one is the quietest because I clean in the evenings sometimes and my oil burning unit is WAY too loud. My machine has great vac without going 4 to the door these probably all have about the same.
Anything else would be helpful.
The van it would have to go into is an extended '08 Chevy Savana.
I hate the fact that I have such a nice van and a loud machine.
Maybe some silencers would help. I've heard talk of them but don't know anything about them.
Guess I don't know much.

everfresh1

Name
Jamie Cohen
Mikey P said:
Direct drive, PTO's and Heat exchangers. The only one I'm familiar with is oil burning units.
I would like to know which one is the quietest because I clean in the evenings sometimes and my oil burning unit is WAY too loud. My machine has great vac without going 4 to the door these probably all have about the same.
Anything else would be helpful.
The van it would have to go into is an extended '08 Chevy Savana.
I hate the fact that I have such a nice van and a loud machine.
Maybe some silencers would help. I've heard talk of them but don't know anything about them.
Guess I don't know much.

:? What does this have to do with my question?

Able 1

Name
Keith
What do you mean by "runs slow"? If they were REAL bad I guess it could bog down the engine or add back pressure.. By what you described cleaning them is a good place to start.

Have the HX'ers ever been cleaned, and how many hours on your TM?

I would say they sould be cleaned (for a carb. engine) every 600 hours or once a year.

Do you spray wd-40 in the blower, if so how often and how much?

everfresh1

Name
Jamie Cohen
What do you mean by "runs slow"? If they were REAL bad I guess it could bog down the engine or add back pressure.

I mean slow sounds like 2000 rpms instead of 3000

Have the HX'ers ever been cleaned, and how many hours on your TM?

No I've never cleaned them its not part of any maintenance it has 3500 hrs on it anyway the excangers on on he bottom of the machine you would have to pull the machine to remove them

Do you spray wd-40 in the blower, if so how often and how much?

Yes a couple times a week, Couple of onces.

Able 1

Name
Keith
Damn... sounds like a pita!! Thing with wd-40 is I personally think when It's spray through the blower residue is left on the HX'er and the carbon and stuff sticks to the exchangers..

With the amount of hours you have, I think it will help to clean them even if it's not your main problem (I am thinking it is though).

Hows your heat ATW?

adamh

Supportive Member
Name
Adam Hale
The Boxxer is well known for the HX getting plugged up. It can and will damage the motor over time. Blown heads on those Briggs ( Boxxer ) motors are very common. It needs removed and cleaned.

T

The Magician

If its running too slow, that why you not getting heat. Take a compresssion check to see if compresion is equal in all cylinders. Running to slow could be engine trouble or sensors. Try using your manual eng, trouble shooting.Rpm not rising,

packfancjh

Name
Chris Hagen
If the rpm's are set correctly and it bogs down excessively when you put a full load on the vac system your exchanger is most likely clogged. Needs to be pulled out and cleaned.

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
This may be way off, but could your choke be partially on? The genny began losing RPM's while under load one day, and I ran out to the truck and found the choke on....just a little bit......enough to cause it to bog under load. Course, my engine is carborated, and uses a choke to start.

everfresh1

Name
Jamie Cohen
Able 1 said:
Get some pics of your HX'ers when you pull them out..

I'll take it in and have them pull um. I did replace a head on one side last year :roll: I think I'm gonna need another engine for it this year for sure that sucks :x Like I said it only bogs with its in heat mode when bypassed and exhaust is being expelled through the muffler it runs fine its got to be clogged. I think i'll stick to oil fired units from now on or propane. I've never had any problems with the Kohler engine on my Steamway and its got more hours on it, This is already my second one on the Boxxer. :roll: How do you clean those things anyway?

adamh

Supportive Member
Name
Adam Hale
The Boxxer has tons of back prerssure. That is why it gets so hot so fast, but at what cost? Many a Boxxer owner has replaced a motor.

packfancjh

Name
Chris Hagen
It's easier to take the incoming end off of the heat exch, carefully peel any debris off so you don't damage the flanges and soak it in a good degreaser for a while. We just did one on friday that was clogged with hair and a gummy residue most likely from too much WD40.

WD-40 will clog hx'ers.

Will a machine with clogged or dirty hx'ers run hot? Yes my Everest was running hot even with dirty exchangers. Just not as hot as it could.

Try using Pierce. I like it better than wd-40.

I can take a styrofoam cup of water and add a drop of wd-40 and it will just sit on the water.

I can repeat with a drop of pierce and come back later and it will have worked its way through the bottom of the cup.

The whole point of using a penetrating lubricant is to displace any possible moisture in the blower which will usually be on the lowest point of the blower. If you run the blower good with the hose off you will drive out most moisture.

If you have ever sucked foam or water through your blower while cleaning then the hxer will definetely get dirty. I cleaned the hx'ers on my Legend once and plan on doing it again soon.

After you clean them you will notice much better heat because the preheaters will keep the preheated water up to the ideal temperature.

http://www.questchemicalcorp.com/Produc ... cfm?ID=142

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom