CAN SOME BRAINIAC HERE HEP ME

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
My Old Dually is having a problem....

goodDS.jpg

the battery goes completly dED in about two days....it's got the second BRAND NEW battery in it...as well as a new alternator(i thought maybe the diodes was sticking)......
i've checked out the ignition switch as well as pulling the fuses one by one and checking for a live circuit.....
i'm at my wits end(insert joke here) and DON'T know what to check next.....

any ideas?

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
sounds like something has to be on and drawing power somewhere.....put a volt meter on it and let it set for awhile and see if it is loosing power from just sitting.........if it is then your just going to have to start the power of elimination to see if you can find what it is.......also use a meter to make sure that the new alternator is work correct.....have had this happen to me more then once...bought a new one and they were bad and not charging like they were supposed to..........

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
then hook it up and let it sit awhile and see if it is dis-charging....if it is then something has to be stuck on draining it out......does that year model have a hood light....my old 82 had a hood light and it would stick so when the hood was closed the light was still burning.....if you have on...pull the bulb......

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
Check the wiring in your ignition. Even if one is grounding out the truck will still start, but it'll slowly drain the battery, and fry the alternator.

davegillfishing

Supportive Member
Name
dave gill
if it becomes a big pain in the butt put a battery cut off in the cab.
i have a elect bug i was chasing and got tired of the drained battery
so i put in a switch and just delt with it like that..works great and only
takes a little while to install and is not expensive at all.
oh and eventually i chased down the problem to the ignition and that
was after installing 2 new ones.
good luck

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
thanks....i'm headed back to the ignition switch to take another look......

then i'll check the glove box............

ronbeatty

Name
Ron Beatty
Bob, I had to lemon law a new 97 Suburban, the battery would die in an hour, or it would shutoff while you were driving. Had it to the dealership 16 times in 6 months. GM finally bought it back. :roll:

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
ronbeatty said:
Bob, I had to lemon law a new 97 Suburban, the battery would die in an hour, or it would shutoff while you were driving. Had it to the dealership 16 times in 6 months. GM finally bought it back. :roll:
well THAT certainly makes me feel a LOT better..........
but it's an '86...did it mention that it'll do a 130MPH...+ ?

Chads

Supportive Member
Process of elimination, is it just dying on its own with out running it, charge the battery un hook it and see if it loses charge on its own, batteries some time come bad , or go bad quickly, Its a old chevy not that difficult. you can do it. I would then go with the fuse boxes just to check whats hot and whats not, and while your at it give your grounds a good check.

Burtz

maybe obamer can hep yous wit it

little late for the cas for clunker

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom