Can you design the perfect truckmount?

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
The van:

Mercedes Sprinter. Mainly because if looks half decent compared to all the other ugly ass vans.

Truckmount: I love the Kubota engine with a single wand setup (liquid cooled is a must), a water pump capable to be set at 3000 rpm for a quick pw on the concrete jobs. I love the Titan's heat exchanger setup, so that can stay. The 47 or 4.7 (whatever has the best combination of lift and cfm) is perfect for building heat and suction.

The waste tank needs a minimum 2" drain port. My 1.5" is too slow, and can get clogged if I get behind on cleaning out my tank, or if the job is just too nasty. And the bigger the waste tank basket is, the better. Since I don't use an APO and I have a 10flow setup on my wand, I feel that we need 125 gallon tanks also. I'm thinking the basket should be the same size as a 5gallon bucket. (The whole inline filter idea is stupid. The paint filter in those things gets clogged up too fast, and you lose cfm within the first hour of cleaning, even after you vacuum the carpet. ) I clean some nasty rentals, and I Vacuum the carpet really good. All 3 of my inline filters that I've used in the past have failed due to clogging up too fast. My basket filter requires the least amount of cleaning to maintain maximum suction.

Hose reels: I want a setup for the single guy setups to have a remote roll up hose reel that can roll up the hose while we're backing up closer to the van during the job. It'll make setup and breakdown so much easier. That'll mean that it has to have live hose reels, so the blower will need to be able to handle 15hg on 300-350 of vac hose reels. That would be so nice to just push a button as you walk backwards while cleaning carpet.

Reactions: JohnHawkP

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
just give me everything that I need and lock me in a room for about a week and leave me alone...

Reactions: BIG WOOD

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
pretending money's no object??

2018-chevrolet-express-3500-supreme-cutaway-van-4.png

one of these cutaway/spartan type trucks with rear and side barn doors to start

Layout...
I always preferred TM in rear .
Much easier to point noise and exhaust away from most entrances .
and in regular van, no hotazz TM 10 inches behind your neck

thin profile reel next to TM in rear .
TM on a roller/pull out platform for super easy maintenance, repairs, etc

Cavernous floor space in middle of box to layout/organize the rest of yo-chit in an efficient and space saving manner

TMs....
One that's been in the field for more than a few years with bugs worked out
(I'd wouldn't be inclined to buy a first year model from any manufacture)

Being really stoopit when it comes to electronics , the less computer and electric controlled systems, the better for me .
specs;
(single wand or dual upl)
Minimum 45 blower
Hold 200 temps with up to 10 flow tools at common/normal duty cycles in normal weather

dual wand ...out of my league .
Never ran anything bigger than a 47 ...and I'm sure that's not big enough to make me happy dual wanding
(been there/tried that)

..L.T.A.

Reactions: Giorgio and Mikey P

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
All I need

23518900_846618822178281_6462848173363526530_n.jpg

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
Mercedes Sprinter. Mainly because if looks half decent compared to all the other ugly ass vans.

I looked into this when my neighbors burned almost to the ground on the interstate because of the exhaust system......

Since 2008 Mercedes Benz developed an extremely complex and expensive exhaust system to comply with our government regulations. Prior to entering the exhaust system the fumes from the engine pass through an EGR valve. The exhaust system is comprised of a CDI (control unit) which monitors and actuates the sensors and valves in the exhaust system; a DEF pump. A DEF tank, a DEF temp sensor, a DEF level sensor and an SCR control unit with actuators and sensors. These items a located under the hood. The actual exhaust system has three major components; the OXI-Cat and DPF section and two SCR Cat sections. The OXI-Cat section has an oxygen sensor an exhaust temperature sensor and a backpressure sensor. There is a N0x sensor and a dosing valve between the OXI-Cat section and the first SCR Cat section. In the first SCR Cat section there is another temperature sensor, and the last SCR section has one more N0x sensor. Once the exhausted fumes and particles have passed through this area they are passed through a particulate filter.

If any of these parts fails prepare to pay as little as $600 for a N0x sensor (there are two), or approximately $800-$1000 for an EGR valve, to a couple of thousand for a SCR catalytic converter (there are two) or a particulate filter (thankfully only one).

In addition to the complexity of the system, you now must deal with each dealership and their pricing for parts and services. Sprinters are serviced by Mercedes Benz dealerships across the country. An oil change can cost as little as $170 at one dealership to as much as $400 by many others. The repairs to your exhaust system can vary almost as much as their prices to perform a simple oil change.

Further complicating the problems with this vehicle is the lack of reliability to the repairs made by each dealership. We have had numerous “repairs” performed at various dealerships at costs of $2000, only to have the engine light appear again within a few hundred miles. Then when taken to another dealership the “problem” is diagnosed as another sensor or valve and once again we have been charged up to $2000. Mercedes Benz diagnoses of the check engine light are unreliable and many times we have been charged for repairs that do not resolve the problem.

If the system becomes completely clogged and the entire system needs replacement, prepare to pay approximately $6000. You read that correctly…$6000.

Mercedes Benz Sprinter fatal flaw is directly related to the components involved with their exhaust system. The cost in maintaining and repairing these vehicles is a staggering average of ten cents per mile. Compare that figure to less than two cents a mile for that of their American counterparts made by Dodge Ram’s ProMaster and Ford’s Transit.

Another contributing factor to Mercedes Sprinter ownership woes, is that Mercedes Benz dealership’s treat the maintenance and repairs of a “commercial vehicle” no differently than their luxury vehicles. Mercedes Benz needs develop a dramatically less expensive exhaust system, or replace the diesel engine with an efficient 6 cylinder gas engine if they plan to continue to sell these vehicles as commercial trucks and compete effectively against Ford and Dodge.

If you plan to use your Sprinter as a true commercial vehicle, and plan to drive more than 50,000 miles a year, it would serve you well to look at the Ford Transit or Ram ProMaster. Consider nothing more than the differences in the costs of oil changes…Ford or Ram $30- $40…Mercedes Sprinter $170-$400. Now look at the cost for the first 100,000 miles $300-$400 for the others vs $1700-$4000 for the Sprinter. The differences in other routine maintenance items are relatively consistent with the differences seen for oil changes.

When you couple the excessive charges for routine maintenance with the astronomical charges for repairs to the items associated with the EGR-DEF- Exhaust System, the cost of ownership is an expense that can greatly affect your bottom line. Our expenses for a fleet of 28 Sprinter vans (2012’s & 2013’s) in 2014 was a staggering $270,000! That’s nearly $10,000 per van per year in maintenance and repairs. Can your business afford such an expense? I can assure you that mine cannot. With the odds at 6.4% of a Sprinter reaching 150,000 miles without very costly repairs, we are replacing these vehicles as quickly as we can get the ProMasters and Transits delivered.

If you’re going to compete in the commercial truck market in the United States, lower your parts and service rates and give us a gas engine without the present diesel exhaust system- The fatal flaw of the Mercedes Benz Sprinter.

steve_64

I remember my egr going out on a 80s dodge passenger van I had. The exhaust was glowing red on the highway as the van was losing power fast with the family inside. Scary!

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
I looked into this when my neighbors burned almost to the ground on the interstate because of the exhaust system......

Since 2008 Mercedes Benz developed an extremely complex and expensive exhaust system to comply with our government regulations. Prior to entering the exhaust system the fumes from the engine pass through an EGR valve. The exhaust system is comprised of a CDI (control unit) which monitors and actuates the sensors and valves in the exhaust system; a DEF pump. A DEF tank, a DEF temp sensor, a DEF level sensor and an SCR control unit with actuators and sensors. These items a located under the hood. The actual exhaust system has three major components; the OXI-Cat and DPF section and two SCR Cat sections. The OXI-Cat section has an oxygen sensor an exhaust temperature sensor and a backpressure sensor. There is a N0x sensor and a dosing valve between the OXI-Cat section and the first SCR Cat section. In the first SCR Cat section there is another temperature sensor, and the last SCR section has one more N0x sensor. Once the exhausted fumes and particles have passed through this area they are passed through a particulate filter.

If any of these parts fails prepare to pay as little as $600 for a N0x sensor (there are two), or approximately $800-$1000 for an EGR valve, to a couple of thousand for a SCR catalytic converter (there are two) or a particulate filter (thankfully only one).

In addition to the complexity of the system, you now must deal with each dealership and their pricing for parts and services. Sprinters are serviced by Mercedes Benz dealerships across the country. An oil change can cost as little as $170 at one dealership to as much as $400 by many others. The repairs to your exhaust system can vary almost as much as their prices to perform a simple oil change.

Further complicating the problems with this vehicle is the lack of reliability to the repairs made by each dealership. We have had numerous “repairs” performed at various dealerships at costs of $2000, only to have the engine light appear again within a few hundred miles. Then when taken to another dealership the “problem” is diagnosed as another sensor or valve and once again we have been charged up to $2000. Mercedes Benz diagnoses of the check engine light are unreliable and many times we have been charged for repairs that do not resolve the problem.

If the system becomes completely clogged and the entire system needs replacement, prepare to pay approximately $6000. You read that correctly…$6000.

Mercedes Benz Sprinter fatal flaw is directly related to the components involved with their exhaust system. The cost in maintaining and repairing these vehicles is a staggering average of ten cents per mile. Compare that figure to less than two cents a mile for that of their American counterparts made by Dodge Ram’s ProMaster and Ford’s Transit.

Another contributing factor to Mercedes Sprinter ownership woes, is that Mercedes Benz dealership’s treat the maintenance and repairs of a “commercial vehicle” no differently than their luxury vehicles. Mercedes Benz needs develop a dramatically less expensive exhaust system, or replace the diesel engine with an efficient 6 cylinder gas engine if they plan to continue to sell these vehicles as commercial trucks and compete effectively against Ford and Dodge.

If you plan to use your Sprinter as a true commercial vehicle, and plan to drive more than 50,000 miles a year, it would serve you well to look at the Ford Transit or Ram ProMaster. Consider nothing more than the differences in the costs of oil changes…Ford or Ram $30- $40…Mercedes Sprinter $170-$400. Now look at the cost for the first 100,000 miles $300-$400 for the others vs $1700-$4000 for the Sprinter. The differences in other routine maintenance items are relatively consistent with the differences seen for oil changes.

When you couple the excessive charges for routine maintenance with the astronomical charges for repairs to the items associated with the EGR-DEF- Exhaust System, the cost of ownership is an expense that can greatly affect your bottom line. Our expenses for a fleet of 28 Sprinter vans (2012’s & 2013’s) in 2014 was a staggering $270,000! That’s nearly $10,000 per van per year in maintenance and repairs. Can your business afford such an expense? I can assure you that mine cannot. With the odds at 6.4% of a Sprinter reaching 150,000 miles without very costly repairs, we are replacing these vehicles as quickly as we can get the ProMasters and Transits delivered.

If you’re going to compete in the commercial truck market in the United States, lower your parts and service rates and give us a gas engine without the present diesel exhaust system- The fatal flaw of the Mercedes Benz Sprinter.
Very Valuable information. Thanks for taking the time to explain it to us.

And for a conclusion on this data: The uglier the sprinter van is, the better. Dodge it is

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
20 HP honda motor powering a 45 blower and general pump, 40 gallon waste tank with an apo that never fails, one of Bob Savages propane heaters with a properly installed belly tank. Installed in a mini van that has yet to be built. 1 ton chassis with a fuel efficient 4 cylinder engine, not taller than 6' 4" with a long wheel base. Imagine an extended Chevy Astro van. My perfect city carpet cleaner.

Reactions: BIG WOOD
Name
Matt Ross

Every modern diesel on the road has an emissions system like that. Even most multi million mile semi trucks have a similar system. It is overly complicated and flawed, but it's also relatively easy to delete and get rid of. There are multiple options for deleting all that and getting huge mpg increases and reliability increases. I know a couple sprinters with over 250k miles and few problems. That being said, I agree with you about Mercedes dealerships, service costs, and the emissions systems problems. If you dont need to do regular smog tests than I'd get a sprinter, delete it, and just change the oil myself every 8k miles. Cheap and easy.
I'd also go with kubota diesel powered truckmount. The fuel economy and longevity are great.

FredC

Village Idiot
slide in version of the wm pro2000 spinning the dual blowers to full speed and updated heat exchanger tech....and a clutched generator head

in a spartan cutaway

Last edited:
Reactions: Lee Stockwell

Hack Attack

Name
Dan

Never heard any of these issues here with mercedes, but you are talking about a U.S. spec model (petrol) there diesels just run.
The only reason I bought a new transit was the $$$ would have got a 2nd hand mercedes here, cost on dealer/warrenty oil change here on a transit $400

The TM, diesel kubota spinning a 45 blower

Name
Scott Turknett
Have you ever run a live reel truckmount?! It loses a ton of suction!

[QUOTE="Matt Wood, post: 4594613, member: 53828]

Hose reels: I want a setup for the single guy setups to have a remote roll up hose reel that can roll up the hose while we're backing up closer to the van during the job. It'll make setup and breakdown so much easier. That'll mean that it has to have live hose reels, so the blower will need to be able to handle 15hg on 300-350 of vac hose reels. That would be so nice to just push a button as you walk backwards while cleaning carpet.[/QUOTE]

Reactions: Nomad74

JohnHawkP

Name
John Paton

Great information Jim.

Are Renault Master vans seen around much?

Nomad74

Boy Sprout

Hose reels: I want a setup for the single guy setups to have a remote roll up hose reel that can roll up the hose while we're backing up closer to the van during the job. It'll make setup and breakdown so much easier. That'll mean that it has to have live hose reels, so the blower will need to be able to handle 15hg on 300-350 of vac hose reels. That would be so nice to just push a button as you walk backwards while cleaning carpet.
[/QUOTE]
I won’t even run a live suction with my 870. I notice a loss at 150’.

Reactions: Pioneer Floorcare

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.

[/QUOTE]
Then a 5.9 blower might be needed. I've never used a live vac reel. All I know is, I hate rolling up my hoses.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom