Can you eliminate wood smoke?

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Anyone know the best air filters to filter woodstove smoke?
It penetrates our home from neighbors fireplaces?
It is not so much about the smell but asthma reaction to the particles.

Does Drieaz make one? Or any other player in the industry?

I see 'Austin Air' and 'IQ' on the internet. Are these brands any good?

Will the Hydroxyl machine work?

Any knowledge will be appreciated.
Thanks

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Ofer can you pressurize the house so the smoke doesn't come in at all? There are lots of radon fans out there that draw low amps and a very quite.

A Drieaz 500 defendair with a Odor Klenz Air cartridge would probably work, but you'd be replacing cartridges and not really solving the problem.

Hydroxyl smells like Ozone on low output. That might just make matters worse.

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
I think Richard was on the right track with OdorKlenz. They also make a filter for your HVAC unit that will remove all the odors and keep the air super clean. Only removes pollutants, does n't put anything new into the air.

The home cartridges are not a product we sell, but you should be able to find them on this website www.nanoscalecorp.com

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Thank you Richard and Scott

Richard,
Hoe does the Radon fan keep the smoke out, where this is a slab and no underside.
Scott,
Does it have 0.1 micron filtration (as opposed to .3) which is the size of smoke particles?

Our home does not have an HVAC system, (great weather, no need) so we are looking for the best solution.

Anybody else that had to deal with firesmoke problems where the particles are the issue and not so much the odor?

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
Ofer Kolton said:
Scott,
Does it have 0.1 micron filtration (as opposed to .3) which is the size of smoke particles?

The OdorKlenz cartridges are not filters in the strictest sense. So they are not measured in micron sizes. This product was developed for the safety of the American milatary during gulf war when smoke from burning wells was a threat and a number of biological and chemical threats were possible.

Odor Klenz removed not only smoke particles of every size but also gases. Oxygen and nitrogen in the air are about all that will get through. Smoke particles as well as individual molecules that cause the odor in the air can be removed with a few air exchanges.

For the most accurate information, you can check out the manufacturer's website www.nanscalecorp.com

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Hoe does the Radon fan keep the smoke out, where this is a slab and no underside.
I'm not a HVAC guy, it was just a random thought so it may not be possible.

The idea was to create positive pressure in the home so when a door or window is open the outside air with the smoke particles are not allowed in. The make up air to feed the unit would need to be processed so you again not drawing in the particles.

Similar to when you walk into a large retail or grocery store in the summer. You get hit with the positive pressure pushing the hot air out.

Not sure if it's possible but you could check with an HVAC company and see.

John Buxton

My first thought is a Hepa system with with an additional carbon filter. I wonder too if your neighbor could increase his chimney height which would also help drafting his stove. Creating positive pressure means bringing in outside air which is what your trying to stop. The hepa with an outside air intake would do both. I have installed several of these as a stand alone system ducting it to bedrooms.

leesenter

Many HEPA filters trap 0.1 micron particles easily.
The reason HEPA filters are rated at trapping.3 micron size particles is because that is the size of particle that is hardest to trap. Yes .3 micron sized particles are harder to trap than most .1 micron sized particles.
I will give you an example my vacuums are HEPA filtered but also ULPA rated exhaust (.12 microns)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom