Carpet changing color

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Doing a job for a chemically sensitive weirdo today. Had to flush my truck completely and use a very light concentration of Procyon as my extraction solution as this guy can't tolerate any odors. No prespray. Mid grade nylon cut pile installed in 2008. As I am cleaning the master bedroom and walkin closet, I start to notice a reddish hue to the carpet. Standing in the doorway, I can see two distinct bands of red going lengthwise across the room. I brought it to the customers attention and he calls me later to inform me that he has a pinkish hue in just that room and closet. The other 3 rooms, hall and stairs are ok. My opinion is that the carpet is defective somehow. Anyone else ever run into this?

• Wow
Reactions: Living The Dream

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I think your water reactivated some dried chemical that wasn’t fully rinsed out.
Possible but I think it's a defective piece of carpet. It didn't show very well on camera but there were 2 distinct bands of red about 6 inches wide traversing the floor as well as a couple of splotchy red areas.

Reactions: BIG WOOD
Name
Swani
One time I was hired to clean some commercial carpet for a new owner. They asked if they could paint before I cleaned, which I agreed to. So after they painted I came in and cleaned and the carpet and as it turns out the carpet was ac4hgreen underneath all the dirt and dust. T they were actually upset with me thinking I ruined the carpet until I was finally able to prove to them that it was the original color.

Ron is there any chance of flame retardant or anything of that nature?

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
What do their lamp shades look like? or maybe items on their window that are casting those colors on the carpet?
Place a coin on the edge of the color and wait 15 to 20 minutes. If the coin "moves" to a "different" spot on the color band, then if from the window.
Hint: the coin didn't move. the earth just rotated changing where the color landed on the carpet.

Or maybe you removed enough soil to reveal blood stains? What was the original color of the carpet?

Reactions: Mike J

Mike J

Name
Mike Joannides
Doing a job for a chemically sensitive weirdo today. Had to flush my truck completely and use a very light concentration of Procyon as my extraction solution as this guy can't tolerate any odors. No prespray. Mid grade nylon cut pile installed in 2008. As I am cleaning the master bedroom and walkin closet, I start to notice a reddish hue to the carpet. Standing in the doorway, I can see two distinct bands of red going lengthwise across the room. I brought it to the customers attention and he calls me later to inform me that he has a pinkish hue in just that room and closet. The other 3 rooms, hall and stairs are ok. My opinion is that the carpet is defective somehow. Anyone else ever run into this?
Sometimes I see red marks from the castors of bed frames. Usually they are there permanently and not a big deal. Once I moved a bed and the red was leaving a trail. Doesn't sound like this is the case, but the red hue sounds similar.

Mikey P

Administrator
Is he from Santa Cruz Ca?
Guaranteed your Soap Free is reacting to his chakra emitting lava lamp or his kosher swiss alp bath salts or his detoxifying foot pads or his Krakatoa volcanic ash flea treatment or his bed bug deterrent for his tempeh mattress or the organic jute backing on his recycled earth friendly carpet

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Is he from Santa Cruz Ca?
Guaranteed your Soap Free is reacting to his chakra emitting lava lamp or his kosher swiss alp bath salts or his detoxifying foot pads or his Krakatoa volcanic ash flea treatment or his bed bug deterrent for his tempeh mattress or the organic jute backing on his recycled earth friendly carpet

Leaving aside Mikey's well placed social commentary and comedy, I agree that you could have a latent intruder present.

What color is the carpet?

Relying on the memory and honesty of a customer isn't going to give you much satisfaction I'm afraid.

Get some pics and post them here.

Reactions: Papa John

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Had one idiot like him many years ago. Super sensitive bla bla bla.
I did the job and got the call the next day that she had to go to emergency from a reaction. So I went back and extracted with H2O ............again.

Now if I even get one red flag ................I walk

Reactions: Cleanworks

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Leaving aside Mikey's well placed social commentary and comedy, I agree that you could have a latent intruder present.

What color is the carpet?

Relying on the memory and honesty of a customer isn't going to give you much satisfaction I'm afraid.

Get some pics and post them here.
Carpet is a light brown/tan. I tried taking some pics but it didn't show up in the light. I'll let it go for a couple of days and see if it changes. Very odd that there are 2-6 inch bands going across the room about a foot away from each other. Perfectly straight lines.

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
Very odd that there are 2-6 inch bands going across the room about a foot away from each other. Perfectly straight lines.
Maybe THAT"S the original design? Does the color of the bands go all the way to the bottom of the carpet fibers?
Maybe look at the backing to view from there.
I've had this happen before

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Carpet is a light brown/tan. I tried taking some pics but it didn't show up in the light. I'll let it go for a couple of days and see if it changes. Very odd that there are 2-6 inch bands going across the room about a foot away from each other. Perfectly straight lines.

Just for the heck of it, test an area with ammonia.

Carpets that old sometimes have indicator dye changes. Reds usually correct when exposed to an alkaline material. Since they have a problem with smells, you can try baking soda diluted 1 tablespoon in a quart of warm water.

If that's the problem, it will disappear quickly.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott

Carpets that old sometimes have indicator dye changes. Reds usually correct when exposed to an alkaline material. Since they have a problem with smells, you can try baking soda diluted 1 tablespoon in a quart of warm water.

If it becomes my issue I will try that.

Mike J

Name
Mike Joannides

50/50 old school red removal on the ? generation carpet. ammonia/water, iron, Terry cloth

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Carpet is a light brown/tan. I tried taking some pics but it didn't show up in the light.
Pretty common for phone and point-n-shoot cameras to correct red away. I've taken pictures of obvious dyebleed that didn't show up in the photo. Funny thing, if a picture was taken of the back of the same rug, the dyebleed would show up in the photo.
Very odd that there are 2-6 inch bands going across the room about a foot away from each other. Perfectly straight lines.
Machine-tufted rug abrash. Cool!

Does sound like transfer from something sitting on the rug.

Reactions: SamIam

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Pretty common for phone and point-n-shoot cameras to correct red away. I've taken pictures of obvious dyebleed that didn't show up in the photo. Funny thing, if a picture was taken of the back of the same rug, the dyebleed would show up in the photo.

Machine-tufted rug abrash. Cool!

Does sound like transfer from something sitting on the rug.
Not from something sitting on the rug. Where the north facing window is, is blotchy red. In the traffic lane from the dresser to the bed, 2 bands of red. The entire walk in closet is red. The other 3 rooms, hall and stairs are all normal.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom