Carpet Dying Feedback Requested

RandyHilburn

We've got a new property management company that wants us to start dyeing carpets vs. replacing so many. While we've been doing acid dye spot color correction, we've never actually dyed the carpet of an entire room.

Anybody know of a web site with a video that can give me a quick overview of the process and anybody currently dyeing apartment carpet that could give me a few pointers? How long does it take to dye 1000 square feet (start to finish) in an empty apartment? How do you keep the dye off the baseboards? Best spray applicator?

Customer pricing is also a concern? I haven't the slightest idea how much to charge?

Help!

jstucky

Name
Jordan Stucky
I thought Von Schrader has a program/equipment for it

I know they have Prism for spots

G

When I use to do it,I would use a hydroforce JUST for dying,use a large (like 24") mud knife for use along walls,clean well and apply a dyelock,spray it down evenly,then rinse/clean again.You have to know that traffic areas will take dye a little differently,so dont worry about it,it was probably a hole when you started and it will look a whole lot better.Start out lighter,you can always add.

RandyHilburn

Re: Carpet Dyeing Feedback Requested

Kevin, you're right. The entire complex is a dive, but they pay on time! I was just reading on the Interlink Supply site about the Hydroforce rtu dyes that connect to the sprayer. Did you rake-in the dye after application and before heat setting or is that really necesssary?

G

I would turn your heat down to 130ish to put it down,the rake sometimes,you can make that call,after you rinse,you might have lighter areas so keep the hydro till the end so you can touch up.

PS-they do make a product you can spray on the wall before hand so the dye wont stick if that is better for you.

RandyHilburn

Kevin,

Before now, I've never really considered using the Hydroforce for anything other than prespray. I'm not sure if my wand has a fan control on the tip. How much baseboard clean-up work is typical.

G

RandyHilburn said:
Kevin,

Before now, I've never really considered using the Hydroforce for anything other than prespray. I'm not sure if my wand has a fan control on the tip. How much baseboard clean-up work is typical.
If you spray the wall guard on,then just fan a little water on it during the rinse,the hydroforce is just like using a dye wand,make sure it has a check valve.If you have or can get a hold of some used carpet,use it as a practice rug.

Nathan K

Talk to Paul Lucas at ChemMax, too. He's got all kinds of accessories and tools, stuff for protecting walls, etc.. that might come in handy... (800)ULTRADRY

DannyD

Make sure when you're done you rinse/purge your solution hose. I'm not exactly sure how you're planning to do it, but ya def. don't want any of the dye coming out on your next job.

steve g

Name
steve garrett
full room dyeing these days IMO will not work, back in the mid 90's I worked for rainbow and did a few, the problem I had was getting the dye to take all the way to the base of the fibers, with modern day stain protection that is applied to the carpet it simply will not let the dye take, I have litterly just about dumped the dye on the carpet, when I left I had a water damage instead of a dye job, I even tried using a rotary and scrubbing it in, when the dye will not take that means its still somewhere, this is called fugitive dye, this will find it way to damp socks etc. the other day I put in some new poly carpet, it was 6.66/yard, to me that is a better value than any dyed carpet.

I also use my Hydro Force. But your spray tip must be in good condition , more even pattern means better distribution. Also the dye will look only as good as the clean or the cleaner the carpet the better the dye.

The dyecites in each fiber need to be clear of debris. Also we can only dye nylon and wool and many Apt. and rentals use olephin which cant be acid dyed.

High pressure with ratio tip removed. Average of 10 table spoons well mixed will dye 3 rooms or average 2 bedroom apt.

Oh also applying wall gaurd and then light overspray with hydro force after you clean it works very well , kutos to who ever said that.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom