Carpet/Fiber Producers Influence over our Industry

John Olson

Name
John Olson
MANDINGO said:
20 years doing this and whispers of change have scared everybody.

And people are still doing the same things unaware of the politics behind the scenes.

Meaning it don't mean jack squat.

Better things to worry about like illegals,oil spills and OBONGO still in the "Outhouse".

Jimmy I am going to steal that last line as use it in my signature!

Mikey P

Administrator
Maybe we can get that line on a banner and hang it at the Joe Polish Booth write above the clip board with the order sheet for the Werner Braun/Larry Cooper/Ravaging Ruthie Slurpin Super Sluts Blue Ray DVDs

randy

Name
Randy
Mikey P said:
Randy just called himself a Mikey Boarder..

he he....

I was half asleep when I said that. :( I don't care if it makes it into my FBI file, but I sure hope it doesn't make it into my CRI file. I may want to serve on the IICRC board someday with Mike Brummett, helping to set up the waste water disposal Surveillance team.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I was half asleep when I said that. :( I don't care if it makes it into my FBI file, but I sure hope it doesn't make it into my CRI file. I may want to serve on the IICRC board someday with Mike Brummett, helping to set up the waste water disposal Surveillance team.
:lol:

Jeff Cross

Supportive Member
I think that carpet salespeople are... well... quite hilarious. Of course, there are some good ones out there, but most don't have a clue as to what they are selling or the benefits of the specific products.

http://cleaningprofessor.com/

Ron K

Millican Nylon Area Rug, had the CRI seal of approval on it Capture is the recommended. Also why does the wool bureau say Host is a good cleaning method??
I Hosted a Sheep once but thats another story!

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
how many of us have heard a customer say that the retailer to wait as long as possible before cleaning the carpet as the cleaning will remove the finish?
I think they need schools for retailers.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Ron you're right, but the scary thing would be if they did have a school, they are going to teach them that a Rug Doctor is every bit as good as a TM. :x

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
I'd like to see more trainers and manufacturers stand up to these people.

What can they possibly do to anybody to make people so reticent to speak up?

I surely don't see anyone defending them. But, in my perspective, silence means consent.

Name
Lee Stockwell
Since the CRI is so distracted from "their" business by certifying cleaning products maybe they'd appreciate a little expert help on their more important core business....carpet.

I'm sure the cleaning industry could "certify" carpet for the quality issues that matter most to their consumers.

I could point out which carpets are the most (and least) servicable and satisfactory for their intended use. It seems the CRI is too busy to be bothered with the critical testing that would improve its sometimes abyssmal consumer image of their own product...carpet.

Yes I know they do some research. One area is in finding cheaper and cheaper fillers for their already crappy latex "adhesive system" between primary and secondary backings.

Bottom Line: How about us cleaners certifying carpet?

Thanks,
Lee

Loren Egland

Name
Loren Egland
Lee Stockwell said:
Since the CRI is so distracted from "their" business by certifying cleaning products maybe they'd appreciate a little expert help on their more important core business....carpet.

I'm sure the cleaning industry could "certify" carpet for the quality issues that matter most to their consumers.

I could point out which carpets are the most (and least) servicable and satisfactory for their intended use. It seems the CRI is too busy to be bothered with the critical testing that would improve its sometimes abyssmal consumer image of their own product...carpet.

Yes I know they do some research. One area is in finding cheaper and cheaper fillers for their already crappy latex "adhesive system" between primary and secondary backings.

Thanks,
Lee

How much should we cleaners charge to certify their carpet? They do have big pockets you know! :wink:

Good one Lee. I love it!

truckmount girl

1800greenglides
Name
Lisa Smith
Lee Stockwell said:

Thanks,
Lee

Bingo!! I've been saying for years that the quality of carpet has gone way downhill. Polyester and Polyester blends....cut pile olefin, etc. used to be carpet lasted and looked god for 20+ years, now it looks like hell after five, less with polyesters. I would love to see the IICRC turn the tables and work on a good program to certify and rate carpet for durability, crush resistance, cleanability and twist set.

Lisa W said and it has been said for many years now, our biggest problem is being a fractured and fractious industry with no cohesive voice or power...and everyone trying to get in our pockets.

Take care,
Lisa

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
I had the opportunity to be interviewed by a representative of Angie's List today.

I made a point to talk about how the carpet sales side lets the consumer down far more than the carpet cleaner.

leesenter

Lisa is absolutely right.

The problem is that the mills will quickly say that people buy carpet based on colour and cost. They do have carpet that lasts for 20 years. It always has a texture retention warranty. A texture retention warranty is rarely explained.

What I don't understand is why the training programs rarely talk about texture retention. This is where the public needs education. The average consumer sees a wear warranty and believes that lack of texture retention is "wear". They are shocked when they realize that wear is the loss of the amount of face fiber.

I believe that the system is flawed from that starting point and goes spiralling downhill from there.

Mikey P

Administrator
In Lisa W's regard, I"m wondering how many Piranha members she gets call from telling her the CRI/SOA deal is hurting their businesses.

Just curious about her passion for all of this.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
I see the main problem is our industry is a band of cluster f's.
Getting cleaners together for the good of us all will be a helluva task.
I believe this board is the perfect starting place and I also believe that we have some incredibly intelligent people on our side.
Now just make it work...you know I'm game.
I'll make the trip to connections just for the booth if it becomes a reality.

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
Mikey P said:
In Lisa W's regard, I"m wondering how many Piranha members she gets call from telling her the CRI/SOA deal is hurting their businesses.

Its not what is happening now(well sort of). But if you look at the series of event happening and can see the possible end result down then road. That would make you a little bit concerned too. Its not going to be the end all for carpet cleaners. But if the mills and CRI/SOA continue to buddy together, its going to make things a PITA and interesting in the years to come.

LisaWagnerCRS

Name
Lisa Wagner
Mikey P said:

Our members are clueless about the program - and that's not my issue is.

They designed a cleaning protocol without using professional cleaners, their methodologies, or real dirt/carpet in real scenarios.

They designed the "rules" to put in-home consumer grade products at the same level as professional products. They rigged the game to get the results they wanted. And they are doing it for money, not for the consumers.

I can outmarket and overcome anything they can toss the way of our members. So from that angle, I could easily say "doesn't affect me" and do nothing.

I have issue with the principles here (and the lack of principle) with the program. And I'm not the only one.

If you can look at what they are doing, have them stamp a seal of "science" on it, have a frown on your face about it, and want to say not a word... that's fine. Most don't take action unless they see a direct immediate threat on their business.

I have the luxury of some influence, my own established careers and companies, and my own ability to write and affect change - so I'm deciding to help the cause.

Cleaners have been disrespected by the mills for as long as carpets have been around. I've had it my entire life from the rug dealers who think rug cleaning and repair is so easy, not worth the money, and that they rank higher on the food chain.

One of the greatest joys I ever had was systematically raising prices so high that all of my wholesale rug cleaning work vanished... and when they get into trouble, they have to crawl over and ask to please help them, and pay retail.

I'm not a prima-donna here... but I'm a good hard worker like all of you are, and have earned the respect (as you have) to be paid by those who create the product we are expected to care for.

They falsely believe they outrank us by dollars and volume... I simply want to show them that they are sadly mistaken.

So it's personal. But aren't the best battles that way?

Here's the blog where we are mobilizing the cleaners for this:
http://www.realdirtoncri.wordpress.com

Thanks,
Lisa

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Just curious about her passion for all of this

You could rephrase the question to me as well Mike. Why do I care?

Most of my main products here at my store and on my website, both detergents and machines, have "The Seal". If I were to promote the program on my site and in my classes, I'd narrow down the amount of lines I'd have to compete with.

My reasons for opposing this program are the same as Lisa's:

Its just not right.

There comes a time in everyone's life, whether it be for professional or personal issues, that they have to stand up and fight back.

This is one of those times.

Lisa and I have not always agreed about everything in this industry. But we both grew up in this business, and we both really care about it. Interestingly, one of the things we do have in common is that neither of our business interests are in any way affected by the SOA program.

Not one bit.

But the people that we both care about, and who we owe our livings to, are affected by it, or will be.

Thus my passion, and I think its safe for me to say, Lisa's.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
I'd have to say that mine isn't affected by the SOA either. No one up here knows anything about it, even many of the cleaners.
As you said Jim, its just not right. So even if one person is mislead by it, its worth defeating.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom