Carpet indentations

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
How successful have you been at restoring furniture indentations?
What is your method?
At what point do you look at it and tell yourself it just ain't gonna happen? ie age of dents etc

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
If the indentation is near an edge or corner, I like to look under the carpet. The indentation may be the face yarns (Some fibers and styles crush easier than others) or it can be damage to the backing from weight over an extended period of time. It may also be a worn or improper pad that can't support the required weight. The point is that the face yarns are not always the source of the problem and some problems require different solutions.

Reactions: SamIam

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Not going to happen unless it's only been that way a short time.

You can restore the fiber but as Scott said the pad is crushed and sadly many times the backing is broke down too. Steam cleaning helps but with the pad crushed to half the size and backing broke down in that area too, it will not be even with the non indented areas.

I always wonder if you but some latexed some scrap backing over the indented backing and replaced the pad in those areas, would make a difference? :icon_question:

CrazyRay

Name
Ray Waits
I came up with this technique many years ago when we were doing almost exclusively apartments and other rental property. The indentations become an even bigger issue when the rooms are vacant. The problem increased as the less resilient polyester and polypropylene became more common. There were so many comments/complaints, I felt like I had to do something.
Anyway, take a damp towel, as in dye stain removal, and a steam iron. Water in the iron and steam on. Heat the spot up, get the pile and backing soft and pliable. When the spot is nice and hot pull up in the center to "re-set" the backing. Then I used a Handi-Groomer to re-set the pile. Let it cool and firm back up. In other words, heat that plastic, reshape it to the position you want and cool it. Some come out perfect, others, not quite as perfect. Still, this works better than anything else I've tried.
As far as the pad depression, it's still there but is usually not a problem. Once the backing cools and firms back up it seems to hold its shape, even with the void underneath.
It can be time consuming so charge as you see fit.

Buck1955

Name
John
I do what crazy ray does but I use a clothes steamer and a carpet awl. Rotovac works pretty well, and your vac hose directly over the indentation.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
so what are the methods to restore those Scott?
What sparked the question was comments on my video that I didn't try to remove the imprints from a bed that had sat in the same spot for a decade.
"I've spent 16 years of my life cleaning carpet, experimenting, selling, closing jobs, and doing whatever it takes to make a customer happy. One of the things that people always complained about were indentations and always had "how come you didn't get the furniture marks out?", comments. It works. However, not so well on olefin. The furniture shapes the backing, the steam softens it, and the cleaning helps "unshape" it. I've done it hundreds of times."

pinosan

Name
Martin
What sparked the question was comments on my video that I didn't try to remove the imprints from a bed that had sat in the same spot for a decade.
"I've spent 16 years of my life cleaning carpet, experimenting, selling, closing jobs, and doing whatever it takes to make a customer happy. One of the things that people always complained about were indentations and always had "how come you didn't get the furniture marks out?", comments. It works. However, not so well on olefin. The furniture shapes the backing, the steam softens it, and the cleaning helps "unshape" it. I've done it hundreds of times."

As stated above and in agreement to with Scott, It depends on the type of carpet and damage degree. some carpets can be improved from the surface and others have to be flipped and use of the iron and a weight to return the backing to it's normal shape. If you are to use this procedure, you will also need to reinforce the backing and may be replace the padding. I don't know if Steve Andrews posts here but I would get a hold of him and buy his videos.

With a single repair you get your money back easily and those are very detailed videos. http://www.thecarpetsurgeons.com/store#ecwid:category=420741&mode=category&offset=0&sort=normal

CrazyRay

Name
Ray Waits

Ok, so then you weren't really asking how to effectivly address furniture indentations for your customers... You are asking how to clean the indentations out of carpet? Furniture indentations are not a cleaning problem. I really never had a problem successfully explaining that to my customers. That would be like trying to clean the humps out of a loose carpet. The short simple answer to those who ask... "furniture indentations are not corrected by cleaning, they can be addressed, however"...

SamIam

Name
sam miller
Actually they can be improved with heat like some suggested If your getting 200 atw unhook your vacuum and soak the area with steam scrub suck with hose or pipe this can reduce some indentations.

As for all the other crap whose really willing to pay to disengage a carpet flip it over replace pad?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington

Martin gave a good response. I usually replaced a small section of the pad. I would either reinforce the backing of the carpet (I think Richard suggested this.) or steam from the back side and work the backing back into shape.

Name
Allison
As long as the carpet isn't too old we have a pretty high success rate with indentation removal. Our website's blog recommends for customer's to remove furniture indents by letting a piece of ice melt over the indent and then fluffing the spot with a fork. The girl who blogs for us said she tried it and it works pretty well but I haven't had the need to try it myself.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom